Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
ePub & PDF decryption on Mac OSX

I did a test today to see if this is possible, and I was very pleased with the results. I've looked around and I haven't seen anyone post about this, so I thought I would mention it in case there are other Mac users who need to do this. You won't need to install python (it's already there) but you will need to install PyCrypto. Here are the steps:

Prerequisites:
A Windows PC
A Mac PC
inept[epub|pdf] on each platform, with PyCrypto installed
Adobe Digital editions on each platform, authorized to your email address

1. From the Windows PC (It can be a virtual machine) setup Adobe DE, and extract the 'adeptkey.der' using ineptkey.pyw. I tested this with the current version and 'ineptkey_v3.pyw'.
2. Copy the key to your Mac, into your 'Documents' folder.
3. Rename the '*.pyw' files to '*.py'.
4. Double-click the python script, it will create an applet. Open the applet and use the key from your Windows box. I've tested using 'ineptepub_v2'.

From this point, it's exactly like using the inept tools under windows. The only thing missing on a Mac is the key extraction. This will let you buy ePub books from stores like Sony and use it on your PRS500.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Thanks for getting me to revisit this. I took a few stabs at it before, but didn't get very far. I installed the pycrypto modules on OS X (had to install the developer tools first, natch), and I can get the ineptepub.py script to run, but I have to do it from the command line ('python ineptepub.py'). For some reason I can't get it to simply be a clickable applet/script. I've fiddled with the settings in the Python Launcher, but no go. Did you change any of the settings there, or did it all just work right once you had the necessary components? It seems to work fine once I get it launched, but getting it launched is a minor nuisance (better than firing up the VM, though). Again, thanks for the tips!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I take that back. Everything isn't working fine after I decrypt. For some reason, after unzipping all the files come out with 000 permissions on all of them. Easy enough to fix, but it's still one more thing that needs to be done. Are you running into this, edembowski?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can run shell scripts by double clicking them by using the .command extension.

Make sure that the first line of the script points to the proper interpreter. e.g. for python on the Mac it would look like:

#!/usr/bin/python

Then change the extension (for a gui'd python it would probably be .pyw) to .command. Run

chmod +x mypythonscript.command

just to make sure it's executable. Now you should be able to run it by double clicking.

Dragging and dropping files on the icon are a wee bit more complicated, and might require the use of an applescript.
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
@Abecedary
After unzipping them, you may have to fix the permissions from the command line, I didn't have that problem. You can always `chmod rwx`the file. The shebang is probably correct on it already, it's easy to put there. (the shebang is the first line adullday pointed out starting with #!)

@adullday
I usually change the extension to .py, not .command. It avoids a few problems:
- If you change it to .py, you don't need to worry about the execute bit being set.
- If you use .command, it will launch in a terminal window.
- It will not create an applet package.

Both methods certainly work, I just think using .py is easier for non-unix types.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Thanks for getting me to revisit this. I took a few stabs at it before, but didn't get very far. I installed the pycrypto modules on OS X (had to install the developer tools first, natch), and I can get the ineptepub.py script to run, but I have to do it from the command line ('python ineptepub.py'). For some reason I can't get it to simply be a clickable applet/script. I've fiddled with the settings in the Python Launcher, but no go. Did you change any of the settings there, or did it all just work right once you had the necessary components? It seems to work fine once I get it launched, but getting it launched is a minor nuisance (better than firing up the VM, though). Again, thanks for the tips!
developer tools? Which version of python do you have? pycrypto which version? This is confusing to me
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
@Abecedary
Both methods certainly work, I just think using .py is easier for non-unix types.

- Ed
You're right. .py is much easier.... I hadn't realized that python scripts would start from the gui. I've been spending way too much time on the command line.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Hmm,
I can't seem to get pycrypto to install & because I have Windows in a VM environment, the .py or .pyw always tries to start windows. I can't get it to stop the latter and I don't quite see why pycrypto doesn't install. It gets upset with something called gcc.

Still, it'l give me something to play with. It took a while to get it working on the VM machine.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
adullday
Enthusiast

What's the error message you're getting when you try to build the package?

And... you've probably tried this already... but if you open up the info window in the Finder for the .py and .pyw files, what comes up as the default application? (I'm guessing here.... I'm an avid VMware user on Linux and Windows, but my Mac is a powerbook so I'm not familiar with the workings of MacIntel virtualization.)
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
adullday
Enthusiast

Hey pthwaite... just a thought.... have you installed the Developer Tools from your MacOS X dvd's?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Yep, first step before installing pycrypto is to install the OS X Developer Tools off the DVD. After doing that, pycrypto builds and installs just fine. I was able to change some of the preferences for Python Launcher to get the ineptepub.py file to launch with a double-click (but it now has a white console window behind the ineptepub GUI). Still, it's working! I'm sure I'll sort out the few minor issues with time.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Adullday et al,
Thanks, I've just installed the tools so we shall see what happens now.
WRT the .py association, yes its the VM Windows one. However I have modified that to the MAC Python launcher but am unsure as to whether that is the right one.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic

Okay, minor update.
Tools installed.
I think the pycrypto has now installed, the test programme doesn't appear to leave any errors.

Now I still have my file association issue. The launcher does indeed open the terminal which I then have to drop all the bits into to get it to run. Irritating really as before I involved windows it used to work quite happily but I cannot seem to get the Mac python to just run the flipping script.

Ah, to coin a phrase, "Peace and love everyone". DRM goes fizz. Now if only I can get the script to associate properly

Last edited by pthwaite; 08-24-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Proved it works :)
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Do you have to have Windows?

Since Pycrypto looks like .exe only on the install website, does this mean I can't use it? I have a Windows computer, and a Mac computer. I do not have Windows on my Mac. Does this mean I can't do this?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Since Pycrypto looks like .exe only on the install website, does this mean I can't use it? I have a Windows computer, and a Mac computer. I do not have Windows on my Mac. Does this mean I can't do this?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Develop...PyCrypto.shtml

http://tmrc.mit.edu/mirror/twisted/D....5_osx10.5.pkg PyCrypto 2.0.1 for OS X 10.5

Try either one of those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote