Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
AlanMc
Enthusiast
AlanMc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7
A new model of TFT E-book Reader review—SmartQ R7

I found that the eletroworld have a new model of e-book reader-- SmartQ R7. They told me that this model would appear on market at May and they will send me a sample to test. The device arrived at last Friday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	50282

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	50283

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	50284

Name:	13.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	50285

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	50286

Here is the specification of the SmartQ R7:
• Processor: ARM11 Telechip TCC8900 600MHz
• Screen size: 7 inch, 800 X 600 pixels
• Memory: 256MB DDR2 RAM
• Storage: 2GB Flash Memory
• Operating System: Ubuntu 9.10 / Android 2.1
• Language: English/Chinese
• Memory card slot supporting up to 32GB SD memory cards
• Wireless: supports WiFi 802.11b/g
• Battery: 3300mAH (About 8 hours reading, 10 days standby)
• Connectivity: 2.0 USB HOST supported to connect the high-speed EDGE, HSDPA network adapter or mobile phone
• Others: G-Sensor
• Dimensions: 205x136x16mm
• Weight: 380g

First of all, the specification is almost same as the SmartQ V7, but it is a E-Book reader not a MID. The different is that the screen is 4:3 and the resolution is 800X600. Just can display one page of the book and without any blank. For the screen size is same with 7 inch, so the display is fine enough.

Second, the R7 is build in a G-Sensor, so it can change the display direction automatically when you rotate the device.

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	50287

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	50288

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	50289

Name:	16.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	50290

The device is so thin and so light, I have held it for a long time while reading a magazine and feel that its weight is fit for a long holding.

In order to lighten the device, they have reduced the battery capacity. I am afraid that the time of use would be reduced too. So I test the use of time first. After full charging the device I have set the brightness to 20% and open a PDF file. I turn the page from time to time, about 9 hours and a half the device power off automatically. It is said that the device really can last over 8 hours.

Others, it is like a MID, that you can brows the website, send and receive the email, watching a movie or listening a music. The OS is come with the Linux, and the eletroworld tell me that the Android 2.1 OS would be come later. They also give me the link which show the Android 2.1 OS 3D UI:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY2MzgzMjky.html.

I will write the Android OS review after if released.
AlanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Thanks for the review. I would like to know if there is another reader on the device other than fbreader? Also how is reading on the device? It is easier than the Q7 when it comes to adding software? Really I want to know if this device is worth $280. I am glad to know that Android is coming to the device, but I think it would be better to wait until it materializes before buying.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post

First of all, the specification is almost same as the SmartQ V7, but it is a E-Book reader not a MID. The different is that the screen is 4:3 and the resolution is 800X600. Just can display one page of the book and without any blank. For the screen size is same with 7 inch, so the display is fine enough.
It is no more an e-reader than the previous models. So far as I can tell it's running the exact same version of Ubuntu. The only difference is the screen geometry and the battery.

What version of FBReader does it have?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
jonoro
jonoro began at the beginning.

Device: r7
Hi Alan,
I am interested in this device, because of the screen resolution, which I find better for portrait orientation use.
I am waiting for an Android 2.1 release though.
I have a couple of questions:
How is the screen? Is is responsive? How does it compare to the V7?
Does it have Bluetooth? If so, is it possible to use a cell phone as 3G modem?
jonoro is offline   Reply With Quote