Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Cool Nook clearly headed for the dumpster...

Hi!

I recently bought and returned a Nook HD 7. It was just so underwhelming. The main issue was a complete lack of the Caecilia font that I have grown accustomed to. Next I tried looking at my Nook account with the Macintosh eReader app, which no longer runs.

Then I read this: (see #2)
Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014

I think that the article is optimistic. It looks like Nook will collapse in 2013.

So how do we think B&N will handle the libraries of eBooks that we all own?

Does anyone remember Fictionwise? I have 181 books at B&N, a mixture of Nook and Fictionwise.

What can we do now before the public collapse?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Download and strip...

I purchased a Nook HD+ during the last sale and with the firmware upgrade, I'm more than happy with the tablet. Don't purchase much from B&N anymore and calibre does a fine job of converting my ebooks to epub. Add Calibre Companion and B&N can die tomorrow and I'll still be happy with the HD+.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Hi!

I recently bought and returned a Nook HD 7. It was just so underwhelming. The main issue was a complete lack of the Caecilia font that I have grown accustomed to. Next I tried looking at my Nook account with the Macintosh eReader app, which no longer runs.

Then I read this: (see #2)
Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2014

I think that the article is optimistic. It looks like Nook will collapse in 2013.

So how do we think B&N will handle the libraries of eBooks that we all own?

Does anyone remember Fictionwise? I have 181 books at B&N, a mixture of Nook and Fictionwise.

What can we do now before the public collapse?
No worries.. Nook is not going to collapse.. I will before they do.. they will step it up.. MS is onboard, plus they now have Google Play/Android features..

Last edited by MrDoug; 05-28-2013 at 09:45 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I just picked up a Nook HD this past month, and with the addition of Google Play, I'm very happy with it. I've never been wedded to a single font, so that's not an issue at all for me. I've now got a handy ereader and tablet that I can carry around easily and which takes care of all the quick look-ups I tend to do during the course of a day, and which is easier to read than the same info on my cell phone.

I'm not worried about B&N going under because I strip the DRM from all my purchased ebooks so I'm not dependent on them being available from B&N's site. As long as the device continues to work, I'm good.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I just picked up a Nook HD this past month, and with the addition of Google Play, I'm very happy with it. I've never been wedded to a single font, so that's not an issue at all for me. I've now got a handy ereader and tablet that I can carry around easily and which takes care of all the quick look-ups I tend to do during the course of a day, and which is easier to read than the same info on my cell phone.

I'm not worried about B&N going under because I strip the DRM from all my purchased ebooks so I'm not dependent on them being available from B&N's site. As long as the device continues to work, I'm good.
I have nook Glo and still love it.. I like My Kobo Glo as well..
Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Nook and B&N will leave the eBooks marketplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
No worries.. Nook is not going to collapse.. I will before they do.. they will step it up.. MS is onboard, plus they now have Google Play/Android features..
Disagree. MS will write off the investment or they may make a deal to buy the rights to the user accounts so that they can kickstart an ereader vendor.

All current B&N accounts will probably become MS accounts.

Nook and B&N will leave the eBooks marketplace.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
detayls
Addict

Stop talking about DRM stripping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Download and strip...

I purchased a Nook HD+ during the last sale and with the firmware upgrade, I'm more than happy with the tablet. Don't purchase much from B&N anymore and calibre does a fine job of converting my ebooks to epub. Add Calibre Companion and B&N can die tomorrow and I'll still be happy with the HD+.
Can we please stop talking about DRM stripping, at least in this thread.

99.99999% of all eBook purchasers have literally no idea what DRM is and why it might need to be stripped.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
99.99999% of all eBook purchasers have literally no idea what DRM is and why it might need to be stripped.
Until it's too late.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Disagree. MS will write off the investment or they may make a deal to buy the rights to the user accounts so that they can kickstart an ereader vendor.

All current B&N accounts will probably become MS accounts.

Nook and B&N will leave the eBooks marketplace.
You could be right but I doubt it.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I recently bought and returned a Nook HD 7. It was just so underwhelming. The main issue was a complete lack of the Caecilia font that I have grown accustomed to.
Returning the nook because of lack of a lousy font is just wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
detayls
Addict

DRM is too opaque for 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Until it's too late.
DRM is too opaque for 99% of the world.

It's always going to be too late for them and they are the ones providing most of the revenue by definition.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
detayls
Addict

Best font...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Returning the nook because of lack of a lousy font is just wrong.
Caecilia is the best font for eInk. No question.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
DRM is too opaque for 99% of the world.

It's always going to be too late for them and they are the ones providing most of the revenue by definition.
If my mother (septuagenarian, very non technical) can 'get' DRM, then it can't be that nebulous.

Those that will not even attempt to help themselves are probably beyond saving, but I still don't agree with them being actively penalised for it.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Caecilia is the best font for eInk. No question.
I agree with you there.. I couldn't do without ...
Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I just want to add that I purchased a Nook HD+ a few weeks ago and I love it. I installed Montano Essentials from Google Play and installed the Caecilia fonts that I like to use.(along with other favorite fonts) It works great and my die hard Amazon Kindle loving husband wants one too. I hope they have a Father's Day sale and reduce the HD+ like they did for Mother's Day.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote