Read the entire series from start to finish. 60 38.71%
Read until fed up, read another book, and return. 52 33.55%
Read one book from series, then another, and return. 33 21.29%
Read two or more series at once. 10 6.45%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My longest series is the In Death books by JD Robb/Nora Roberts (futuristic police procedurals) - I eat them like candy, both in paper, e-format, and audio.
I've read the first 19 novels (including the shorts) and I do like them. I have #20 up on deck soon but I've a few others to go before I get to that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #107
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not mind reading an unfinished series. I might never get to read it otherwise. I could die, the author could die, the publisher could go bankrupt and probably other things as well.
Apache
If I die, then I won't care. If author dies ... been there (WoT). Publishers can be changed.
For me waiting few years/decades is worth escaping unpleasant experience of the cliffhanger.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #108
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I read ideally from start to finish but of course there are a lot of unfinished series like the dresden files as an example which I have to wait for and in those cases sometimes I would set my current book aside temporarily for the one I've been waiting on.

I'm mostly a series reader it's rare I read a standalone novel I think the last one I read was "Ready Player One"
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #109
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
If I die, then I won't care. If author dies ... been there (WoT). Publishers can be changed.
For me waiting few years/decades is worth escaping unpleasant experience of the cliffhanger.
For me life is a journey not a destination.
We will all die so that isn't even a parameter in this case. I have no problem reading an unfinished series. I will come up with my own conclusion of how things would have gone down, if it bothers me that much. It usually doesn't though. I just enjoy what I have in front of me.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #110
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Hm. I jumped from First King of Shannara to The Diamond Throne (Elenium), so from one series to another, but I read through to Ruby Knight in one go, and intend to move on to The Sapphire Rose after that. So it seems to depend on the series, and if the story is finished at the end of the book or not.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #111
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I actively avoid series where it's really a multi-volume book, with each individual volume not really ending - David Eddings' Belgariad is a good example of that. I stopped reading the Dresden books when they started endind on cliff-hangers. Thank you, I'll read them when it's finished - maybe.

Other series, where each book stand on its own (the Lois Bujold books, or the In Death books), I love.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #112
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Other series, where each book stand on its own (the Lois Bujold books, or the In Death books), I love.
Ditto.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #113
ebooklovers
ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
same here.. I usually am excited to read the first few books and after a while I do get tired of it... but even so, I never get tired of reading them especially if I really love how the story goes
ebooklovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #114
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I tend to read until I get fed up with it and then move on to another book, hoping to return to the series at a later date. The problem with that method is, is that if I am really fed up/bored with the series when I stop, there is little incentive to restart it. Or, as has happened, I've completely forgotten about the series and only go back to it years later.

However for series that I do love, I tend to devour whatever books are in print, and then let it lie fallow, letting a few new books in the series to be published, so I can really stay in that author's universe for a while once I pick up the series again. Then I'll do a re-read from the first book through the current one.

For series where there are an insane number of books already published, like the Honor Harrington series, I'll maybe restart the series at about four books before the current one. For the Liaden Universe series, I do a complete re-read of all the books (just because I really love those characters).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I tend to read until I get fed up with it and then move on to another book, hoping to return to the series at a later date. The problem with that method is, is that if I am really fed up/bored with the series when I stop, there is little incentive to restart it. Or, as has happened, I've completely forgotten about the series and only go back to it years later.
Get an account at http://FictFact.com and you can put in what books of a series you have read. Then when a new book is released, you get notified. So maybe a new book in a series you've stopped will get you back to reading it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote