Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #421
DigitalWarS
DigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
RE point 1 .... you can remove the black bar at the bottom of the screen that only appears when you've got the reading light on by:

Settings
Light, Sleep & Power
Light Indicator appears: Clear (NOT Solid)

I think that Kobo should explain what Solid and Clear mean in that section because until it's pointed out it doesn't really make sense.
TU, lynx.

One other thing : when I select a word and dictionary shows up, how do I get out of it? There is no "close" button.... I use to go to "search" icon and then I have the "X" button... Pretty annoying...
Then...turning pages gets me nuts, sometimes it goes back, sometimes swype only refreshes and page stays the same, it's crazy...

Last edited by DigitalWarS; 01-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
DigitalWarS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #422
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
[QUOTE=DigitalWarS;2392334].

One other thing : when I select a word and dictionary shows up, how do I get out of it?

X on the bottom right hand corner when in dictionary pop-up mode.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #423
DigitalWarS
DigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a TexanDigitalWarS might easily be mistaken for a Texan

[QUOTE=llcj;2392446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWarS View Post

One other thing : when I select a word and dictionary shows up, how do I get out of it?

X on the bottom right hand corner when in dictionary pop-up mode.
No, it doesn't work. If I press X word selection still remains active and if I try to turn the page it'll only result in selecting more words, no way of getting out from dictionary if not by going into search and then hit X!?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #424
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
[QUOTE=DigitalWarS;2397619]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post

No, it doesn't work. If I press X word selection still remains active and if I try to turn the page it'll only result in selecting more words, no way of getting out from dictionary if not by going into search and then hit X!?
Is this book a kepub, or a side loaded Epub?

I only have side loaded epubs on my Glo, and when I select a word, the Dictionary dialogue box shows, and in the bottom right hand side there is an 'x'.

I press that 'x' whilst the dictionary dialogue box is still on the screen.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #425
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I wanted to request, or again hightlight, something davidfor mentioned in this post:
Quote:
I hope they add a series list. Something similar to the shelf list but shows the series and the number of books.
Kobo have gone to the trouble of making sure series information is recorded in books. It works and is a feature that other readers lack. Why not push it a step further and make a "series" list just like there is one for 'Shelves'? It would work so well!

David would also like an author list and more. That might be nice too, but personally if I get one, I'm voting for series. Can't have that little menu getting too crowded now, can we?

Thread about series info is here for more on this.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #426
DigitalWarS

[QUOTE=Lynx-lynx;2397692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWarS View Post

Is this book a kepub, or a side loaded Epub?

I only have side loaded epubs on my Glo, and when I select a word, the Dictionary dialogue box shows, and in the bottom right hand side there is an 'x'.

I press that 'x' whilst the dictionary dialogue box is still on the screen.
Both of them, and with both if I press X dictionary disappears but I'm only able to to underline and not turn page...
Also, big problems with touch, sometimes I have to restart my unit because it wouldn't respond to touch, sometimes goes back even though I press for fwd, sometimes only refreshes and not turn...
I don't know whether this is a firmware related problem (touch sensitivity, RAM control, etc) or my unit is broken...
Thank you...
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #427
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@DigitalWars maybe you need to reset your device by logging off through the Settings section:

Settings
Account
Sign out

Doing this process will mean that the device will reset itself.

Then come back in and Sign In again.

Wait till the device re-loads itself, it may take a few minutes.

You may also then need to re-authorise ADOBE.

Doing this may resolve your current issues.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-26-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Add the last line
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #428
Exirion
Exirion began at the beginning.

Te Kobo Glo is a great device but 2 things in the software are REALLY annoying:

1. There is no fullscreen option, so there's always this bulky bar at the bottom of the screen. Come on, we don't need it! Especially on a 6" display, the waste of space is ridiculous. PLEASE give us a fullscreen mode.

2. The PDF viewer is a joke when it comes to zoom functionality. All you can do is zoom into a particular page, after which there 's no way to move to the previous or next page without cancelling the zoom function! Who developed this?! Whenever you're reading a PDF with huge margins, you want to be able to zoom in and use that for the whole document.

Once these issues are addressed, the Kobo will be perfect IMO.
Exirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #429
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
"Go to page" is really the feature I miss most.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #430
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Exirion, you should be able to switch pages while zoomed in a PDF. Just drag the page as far as you can to the left or right. You'll see a black bar that will allow you to switch pages.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #431
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
There is no bulky bar on the Touch - or maybe you mean the zone with the page number? If the question was about hardware improvement, I would suggest that touch screens are fashionable but inconvenient gadgets, and good, real buttons are better. If your language is French, Turkish, Italian or another with many diacritics, you know that a virtual keyboard is a baffling problem (1)...
I agree with those complaining about opening the dictionary when you only need to search a name (which happens very often: dictionaries in the Kobo are of little use for learned readers, but, for instance you read a novel by Balzac, and you suddenly wonder: who is this one?). But this does not waste much time, as you can launch the search even if the dictionary window is open.
Fixing footnotes links would be more urgent to my mind. On my Touch, touching a note link most of the time turns the page or makes toolbars appear. On some books, most footnotes are unreachable, and touching one is always a hazardous adventure: if you can reach the note, you don't know whether you'll able to come back to your page...
(1) BTW, as we must keep a virtual keyboard, I noticed that the keyboard on Windows Mobile for my old Pocket PC is lots better, because it only emulates a true keyboard, with Shift, Ctrl, and direct access to letters with diacritics, instead of switching to another keyboard for only one character.
I never use smartphones nor tablets, but I guess this monstrous keyboard on the Kobo comes from Android (?)

Last edited by Francois_C; 02-01-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #432
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
One thing I would like to see in a new firmware would be related to the Japanese font. The current embedded font is Ryumin and it is really really thin. So when looking up a word in the dictionary, it is so small it is difficult to read.
So a bigger/thicker/... font would be good
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #433
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
GLO, it would be nice to have proper page numbering, ie. 1 page per page turn, whatever the font size. Also reduce the size (impact) of the page numbers and remove the 'PG' as in PG. 23 OF 248, 23/248 would suffice.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #434
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
GLO, it would be nice to have proper page numbering, ie. 1 page per page turn, whatever the font size. Also reduce the size (impact) of the page numbers and remove the 'PG' as in PG. 23 OF 248, 23/248 would suffice.
It's arguable whether or not it would be considered "proper" numbering. By resorting to a "standard" of 1024 characters per page, it provides some consistency to references between someone who uses a 9pt font with no margins and a 24pt font with excessively large margins. If I wanted to tell you to check something out that was on page 233, that would mean absolutely nothing to you because while the same book on my device may be 300 pages, on yours it could be 500 pages.

I wouldn't say that the page numbering as it is now is incorrect; it's certainly not intuitive until you understand how they're doing it, but it has it's benefit rather than doing a completely dynamic page numbering system.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #435
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
It's arguable whether or not it would be considered "proper" numbering. By resorting to a "standard" of 1024 characters per page, it provides some consistency to references between someone who uses a 9pt font with no margins and a 24pt font with excessively large margins. If I wanted to tell you to check something out that was on page 233, that would mean absolutely nothing to you because while the same book on my device may be 300 pages, on yours it could be 500 pages.

I wouldn't say that the page numbering as it is now is incorrect; it's certainly not intuitive until you understand how they're doing it, but it has it's benefit rather than doing a completely dynamic page numbering system.
I do see your point. Perhaps a system when one can chose their preference would be a good compromise.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo