Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
andy87
andy87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Having trouble migrating calibre library

I've tried the strait forward and simple computer library switching process outlined in the Calibre FAQ. However, i get an error (see below) and from looking at the error message it wants me to delete my library.
help please
not sure if it matters but the original setup was on a x86 running winXP and the new setup is an x64 and running win7

ERROR: Invalid database: <p>An invalid library already exists at X:\Calibre Library, delete it before trying to move the existing library.<br>Error: attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 196, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\__init__.py", line 551, in move_library
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 144, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\schema_upgrades.py", line 22, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\schema_upgrades.py", line 469, in upgrade_version_17
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 232, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
andy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy87 View Post
I've tried the strait forward and simple computer library switching process outlined in the Calibre FAQ. However, i get an error (see below) and from looking at the error message it wants me to delete my library.

ERROR: Invalid database: <p>An invalid library already exists at X:\Calibre Library, delete it before trying to move the existing library.<br>Error: attempt to write a readonly database

The error it is giving you is only when you choose to move your library, if the library is already there you should just be switching to it. It also says the database that already exists is read only.

You have to provide more specific details of what you are trying to do and exactly how you are doing it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
andy87

My laptop died and I had my calibre library stored on an external hard drive. I attached my external drive to my desktop and installed the calibre software.
Now I'm just trying to reaccess the same library on the desktop computer.
Ive been using the setup wizard in calibre to try and bring up my existing library on the new computer.
Any more info needed just ask
Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy87 View Post
My laptop died and I had my calibre library stored on an external hard drive. I attached my external drive to my desktop and installed the calibre software.
Now I'm just trying to reaccess the same library on the desktop computer.
Ive been using the setup wizard in calibre to try and bring up my existing library on the new computer.
Any more info needed just ask
It may be simpler.
The arrow next to the Library Icon
"Switch/Create Library"
Use Existing...
Browse to the folder on the drive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
andy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It may be simpler.
The arrow next to the Library Icon
"Switch/Create Library"
Use Existing...
Browse to the folder on the drive
Just tried that still got an error looks to be the same one or pretty close.
Is there a simple way to re-enter my books into a new library location with the existing metadata so I dont have to go back through and change it from the defaults?
If so I can do that just as well. drag and dropping all folders of the old library only caused a mess

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseException</b>:attempt to write a readonly database

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 95, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 72, in perform_action
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 391, in library_moved
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 144, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\schema_upgrades.py", line 22, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\schema_upgrades.py", line 469, in upgrade_version_17
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 232, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The user calibre is running under doesn't have permission to write on the external drive. Either change the security of the calibre folder on the external drive or copy that folder and all its contents to a place you can write.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
andy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The user calibre is running under doesn't have permission to write on the external drive. Either change the security of the calibre folder on the external drive or copy that folder and all its contents to a place you can write.
Worked like a charm. for anyone else who comes onto this problem the simple fix to change security settings is right click on the drive, open properties, go to security, click edit, click add and write everyone, and give "everyone" the appropriate rights in the box below

many thanks, Calibre has a great user community

Tags
calibre, database problems, library management, system migration