Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Strange Error Message - Anybody Else

See attachment:
PRS700 on a bog standard XP machine. Around 20% of the time I connect the reader via USB I get this error message. [Try Again] click has no effect. Clicking [Continue] clears the error message but reader not recognized and doesn't charge. Clicking [Cancel], then un-plugging and plugging back in the USB clears the problem and all's well. Not a major problem, just wondering if anyone else has experienced it. Note: Never happend with my PRS200,

Hughdal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS700 ERROR MESSAGE.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	29728  
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
my guess is a messed up driver for the Memory card aspect of the reader
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
my guess is a messed up driver for the Memory card aspect of the reader
If you have a card reader on your PC and remove the memory card from your reader and insert it directly in the PC and get the same error, Andy's guess may be probable.

You might try disabling and then re-enabling all the external (not C) drives which has cleared up some USB connection problems for others.

*note* I am no expert on these matters, but have read through a few blogs about others having the same error message. The following are just suggestions from a blog on the net which you can take seriously or with a grain of salt.

There are many blogs on this "windows-no-disk-exception" error on the net. The long one that I read through was this:

http://www.consumingexperience.com/2...rocessing.html

There are some step by step instructions on what to try to fix the problem and in what order. It's a long read, but the problem got solved for many by renaming the drive letters for their card readers and connected drives. It seems that some software is looking for something on a path that is no longer valid and this was the only way to reset it. There are some detailed instructions on how to rename drives and the pitfalls if you do. There was also some discussion in clearing temporary "stuff" used by Word and Excel.

Some claim about some kind of new rootkit bug or something but they were more or less put aside as alarmists.

Some claim, as usual, that a recent update from MS caused it and that a simple restore before the problem started fixed it.

Some fixed their problem simply by clearing the "recent items list".

Hope this is of help.

WDE.

*edit*
If the above is the problem, I assume that if you have paths hard coded referring to these drive letters in any software and you change them, these won't work any longer. I believe they re-named all the drives back to their original letters once the problem was fixed.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-25-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Thanks Wetdogeared I think you found the bug. I have a external USB hard drive which is connected some times (and sometimes not). I figured out from your post and a little experimentation that if I plug it in/out a few times and then plug in the reader the error message appears.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Thanks Wetdogeared I think you found the bug. I have a external USB hard drive which is connected some times (and sometimes not). I figured out from your post and a little experimentation that if I plug it in/out a few times and then plug in the reader the error message appears.

Hughdal
I'm glad it was just a case of a USB port. Did disabling and re-enabling the USP port(s) solve the problem or are you still working on a solution?

I've had many problems with USB ports, especially with my all-in-one printer/scanner/fax and it is a hard solution to nail down. I've disabled and re-enabled my USB ports countless times.

I'm glad you made some sense out of my ramblings.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-27-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert