Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Qushery
Qushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DX
Ask me anything about Onyx N96 or Onyx Boox Max!

Hi

I just got a sample of N96 and Boox Max , I already did an unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxWoHdzoJ38&

next I'm doing a Q&A video , so ask me anything and I'll try to find the answer and demo the answer in my next video

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-08-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Expanded shortened URL
Qushery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
Willy Tärk
Willy Tärk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

thank you very much that you give us this possibility.

I have the following questions:
1. Could you compare the different dimensions of the n96 and the Onyx Boox Max? For example, could you lay them side-by-side, to get a better impression, how much size-difference there is - similar like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glXRWQJOclI

2. Could you compare these two devices regarding their handling? I mean, both of them have nearly the same weight, but is one of them better to hold in your hands? This is especially important, cause it is possible that someone want to hold such devices for a long period of time!
So, is the bigger one somehow less convinient to hold then the smaller one, or is there no difference? Does it feel more uncomfortable or unbalanced in your hands, or something like this?

3. I ask the following question very often and I allready did get clear answers, but I wanna hear as much opinions as possible ... So, is one of these two devices much better regarding their PDF-abilities? Do you think that the 9.7 Inch n96 can handle PDFs as good as the 13.3 Inch Onyx Boox Max, when the right settings are done?

4. Please could you show in that video, how the Onyx Boox Max can perform with a bluetooth mouse (if you own such a mouse). It would be nice to see how fast the device will react if you click on something (for example if you open a document) and how smooth the mouse-cursor can move... Is it more like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAG-pYuXdg0 or more like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFx7GKiNQg?
It would be also nice to know which bluetooth mouse does work, and which doesnt!

5. Could you try to type something with a Bluetooth keyboard in your Onyx Boox Max, while using an office-programm? Is there any delay or something like this?

6. How fast is the Onyx Boox Max for surfing in the web? Can you show that on video?

7. Did you try the Onyx Boox Max as a monitor? Can you show that on video?

8. Can you give us your opinion, which of both devices do you prefer more in general and why... Which one do you like more, which one has which advantages and disadvantages compared to the other one, and so on..

I hope thats not too many questions!
Thank you so much!

Last edited by Willy Tärk; 06-03-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Willy Tärk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qushery View Post
ask me anything and I'll try to find the answer and demo the answer in my next video
Would you be able to demonstrate how the two readers compare in handling image-based PDFs (e.g. PDFs made from scanned pages)? I'm particularly interested in the speed with which pages change, and the ability to set contrast, etc, to usable levels. Many thanks!
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Is there any other PDF reader app that can display full screen? Thanks.
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Qushery
Qushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toysQushery shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DX
I got you question and will start to do the video now (this will be Part 1 , if more question come I'll do a part 2 )

also today I got my old kindle to compare it to the N96

https://twitter.com/eQushery/status/740171392017174528
Qushery is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
Naimi
Naimi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
2 Questions about N96?

Hello Dear Qushery
Thanks for this helpful topic
I have got 2 Questions about N96
1) How can you navigate between apps in N96 or close all opening apps at once? such Like android phone
2) I strongly need to upgrade the firmware of N96 from 4.04 to 4.4 (kitkat), how can i do that? Could i use the upgraded firmware of M96?
Also, I forget to ask about... What is A2 Mode?
That's it for now
Thanks again

Last edited by Naimi; 06-08-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Naimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
Thanks !!
Please io would like to know the page turn speed and the navigation into bigs pdf and,if the resolution is ok to read small text [very small]
Here an example : http://download.hebrewbooks.org/down...ashx?req=37954
Thanks
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimi View Post
Hello Dear Qushery
Thanks for this helpful topic
I have got 2 Questions about N96
1) How can you navigate between apps in N96 or close all opening apps at once? such Like android phone
2) I strongly need to upgrade the firmware of N96 from 4.04 to 4.4 (kitkat), how can i do that? Could i use the upgraded firmware of M96?
Also, I forget to ask about... What is A2 Mode?
That's it for now
Thanks again
Afaik there's no button linked to the app switcher in onyx boox roms (at least it isn't on my T68, and i suspect the basic system is the same for all their models). You could either install done app for that, i'm using button savior but i remember reading about something else that might be equally good or better. Alternatively, there is a way to remap the hardware buttons of you're rooted, but that will let you lose access to the original function of the button. I wanted to remap the menu button, as there is one in software already, but unfortunately you seem to lose the possibility to force a screen refresh with a long press on menu this way.

A2 mode is the fast refresh mode that you can activate from the nav bar as described by someone before.

Not sure of there's a version of kitkat for the n96 yet. Even if there is, when i tested the latest kitkat beta for the t68, it wasn't ready for usage yet. Can't remember what exactly, but there were a number of bugs that made it essentially unusable for me. Otherwise, I'd also much prefer to run a slightly newer version of Android.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Naimi
Naimi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you Franzli
For Now, I'm using advanced task manager... It works fine to close opening apps and also you can navigate between them. It's quite long way but it does work.
Thanks again for the other answers.
Naimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
domi0201dc
domi0201dc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96
Hi Franzli,
I have an issue with N96 : when I try to install a new application I get a message "not enough space". But the there is 9,60 Go available. Have you had that kind of issue ?
Thanks.
domi0201dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi0201dc View Post
Hi Franzli,
I have an issue with N96 : when I try to install a new application I get a message "not enough space". But the there is 9,60 Go available. Have you had that kind of issue ?
Thanks.
Problem with the old android version which installs apps on a separate partition and of all onyx readers, where this partition is usually pretty small (I think 256MB?), even though the memory on the device is much bigger. I use a mix of installing apps to sd card and the app Link2Sd for this purpose.
Presumably, this problem shouldn't occur when/if there is an android update to 4.4, but it's not clear when there will be a release version of that for our devices...
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:37 AM   #12
mohui
mohui began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max
How to read a PDF with double pages on Boox Max ?

I couldn't figure out how to make the default reader app on Boox Max to display double pages.

Any good way?
mohui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
ashishcompwiz
ashishcompwiz began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung paperlike
Can u use onyx book max as monitor

Hi
Can u use onyx book max as monitor on Windows 10 preferably using below link

http://techenhanced-life.blogspot.it...ndows.html?m=1

And post a video of its working in a variety of windows apps like programming email and web browsing so i can compare it with dasung e ink monitor. That would be veru helpful
ashishcompwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #14
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I would be also very interested to see Onyx as a second screen and it's refresh rate for writing. Someone said that it's faster than Dasung Paperlike in A16 mode, it would be great if that would be true!
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I know it's not the same, but I've connected a T68 to a laptop via TightVnc and bvnc. I only used it to write and edit text. It worked. But it was too slow to be useful. And that was just editing text. Oddly, Windows notepad worked faster than other text processing programs. Don't know why. But it was still too slow. Hopefully later iterations of Onyx devices will have less latency. Also perhaps one can reduce latency in your wifi environment. But when you think about it, going via wifi is never going to be the fastest. Bluetooth or a USB connection will be faster.

I tested a Bluetooth keyboard with the T68 and that was perfectly usable. Again I only tested text processing. There is a video on a couple of videos on youtube of the same setup with a Kepler Pro, and the latency is pretty similar.

So I would guess that with the Onyx devices, you'd be better running a bluetooth set up. Develop your code or whatever on the ereader, then copy it to your computer. Probably the best solution to edit text on the ereader is with vimtouch.

In my experience on a T68, a wifi secondary monitor is too slow. But maybe the newer Onyx's are faster.

Edit: apparently the new Onyx comes with HDMI connectivity. It's a game-changer if the ereader can be connected directly to a pc via a cable. That would be fast. But current Onyx's don't have the ability to connect directly.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-05-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote