Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #106
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Unhappy In search of an untethered method of ebook acquisition

Still waiting for my separately purchased micro-USB cord to arrive, I have now tried (and failed with) the following attempted methods to add books from non-Amazon sources. If anyone has a tip for how to make this happen, please please let me know. In the meanwhile, hopefully I can help some of you apply your valuable time to other things and just know that basically the USB tether method seems to be the only Kindle Fire option for books that are not purchased from or managed by Amazon.

1. Calibre content server: I can navigate to and access the content server with the Kindle Fire, but all attempts to "get" a book fail. The Kindle Fire's Device setting "Allow installation of applications from unknown sources" is a permission limited to Apps. There does not appear to be an option for unknown content.

2. Free ebook web pages, e.g., Project Gutenberg: downloading a kindle .mobi version of Grimm's Fairytales is one example, downloads tab shows the dl as complete, but it is unable to open the file. Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work.

3. Emailed titles sent to your account "kindle"@kindle.com where the part in quotes is whatever you named your kindle. 2 out of 10 titles I emailed to my kindle showed up in my personal documents, and those only when I went into the amazon web account management page and found them pending and, in addition to having set up the accepted sender email id, also approved them for whispersyncing down to the kindle. This is essentially a 3 stage process after you do it the first time (which is a 5 stage process because you have to pre-identify the email address you will be sending books from, as well as identify the kindle email address you will be sending books to). All in all, this process is less than desirable to me, and that is even not counting the fact that Amazon charges $0.10 per title you email to yourself using this method.

What happened to the other 8 titles I emailed using this method I don't know.

4. Wifi network browsing: Connecting using a file manager (es file manager here) to my mac with the calibre library on it, I can navigate to various ebook file formats but not a single one will open on the kindle, which gives an error no app for that.

If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #107
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work.

If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!

First, check out this thread, post # 83 starting with step 8: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157221&page=6

I suggest you purchase WiFi Explorer Pro from the Amazon App Store. It is a very inexpensive and can be used to easily transfer files to the Fire. An older version can be downloaded here for free if you want to try it first:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4561.html

Under the hood the Fire is an Android device so you may have better luck choosing Android when visiting free e-book sites.

You may want to try CoolReader which works on the Fire and can be used to download books from many sources including Project Gutenberg. Don't forget the MENU icon will bring up various options in CoolReader depending on the screen.

Cool Reader: http://coolreader.org/e-index.htm

I haven't tried FBReader but it is recommended by Project Gutenberg for Android devices (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...Devices_How-To). The requirements for the Reader are fairly light so it should easily work on the Fire.

Select the "for Android 1.6.2.* devices" hyperlink:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

You can download Apps for the Kindle Fire outside of the Amazon Store. To install Apps outside of the Amazon Store you have to set it up on your Fire. Touch Quick Settings, More, Device, and enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.

When downloading Apps outside of the Amazon App Store, you will see a small pop-up in the Notification Area of the Status Bar at the Top of the Fire. If you touch the Notification you will see the download in progress. After the download is complete, touch it to launch the App installation package.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-20-2011 at 08:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #108
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That is probably it. He is only seeing the title to my posts for some reason. Of course sometime invisibility is a good thing!
Hahah. I don't know jswinden or come here enough to want to ignore him! Of course, we do have cats--mine has the strange prediliction for plastic bag capes.

On internet explorer, I can read his (your) posts. Thanks. I'll do more firefox investigation later.
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post
Hahah. I don't know jswinden or come here enough to want to ignore him! Of course, we do have cats--mine has the strange prediliction for plastic bag capes.

On internet explorer, I can read his (your) posts. Thanks. I'll do more firefox investigation later.
It's either an extension causing it or Firefox has corrupted itself.

It corrupted itself with me a week ago. Never in the years of using it have I had that problem but I had to uninstall, remove all traces and reinstall to get it show webpages correctly. I still don't know what caused it. I'd first try disabling each extensions till you find the one. If it still does it then it's firefox itself.

If you have to reinstall use FEBE to back up the bookmarks, extensions and other stuff.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-20-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #110
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Easily Import Google Contacts during Gmail Setup:
If you have already set up a Google account with contacts, then you can easily import those contacts when setting up the Fire's email app for your Gmail account.
  1. Set up your Gmail account in the Fire Email app by entering the Gmail address and password.
  2. The app will test the email address to ensure it is a valid account, then it prompts you as to whether you want to import your Google contacts. The prompt is in the form of a checkbox option.
  3. Select the checkbox and click Finish and the Gmail account is set up and your Google Contacts now are in the Fire's Contacts app. It was insanely simple and easy and fast.
I got the Enhanced Email App from Amazon when it was free and there is no way to import Contacts that I can find. I can import them into the regular email app that came with the Fire.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I got the Enhanced Email App from Amazon when it was free and there is no way to import Contacts that I can find. I can import them into the regular email app that came with the Fire.

Carol
You can exports your contacts in Google from their site. I believe Vcard is the format you want. Then move then onto the Fire and use the contact app to import them.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #112
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You can exports your contacts in Google from their site. I believe Vcard is the format you want. Then move then onto the Fire and use the contact app to import them.
I did export my contacts from my computer into vcard format. I was able to import those into the stock email app, but I don't see any option in the Enhanced Email app to import.

Carol
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #113
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Carol
Import your Google contacts with the stock email app. The extended app can use them because they are placed in the Contacts app.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-20-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #114
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Import your Google contacts with the stock email app. The extended app can use them because they are placed in the Contacts app.
Okay, I imported my contacts using the stock email app, and they are definitely there. I just can't figure out how to make the Enhanced Email use them. Specifically, when I compose a new email, I would expect to be able to click in the "To" field and get a dropdown list of contacts to choose from. It seems to only let me actually type in an email address, though. Any suggestions on how to make this work?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Okay, I imported my contacts using the stock email app, and they are definitely there. I just can't figure out how to make the Enhanced Email use them. Specifically, when I compose a new email, I would expect to be able to click in the "To" field and get a dropdown list of contacts to choose from. It seems to only let me actually type in an email address, though. Any suggestions on how to make this work?
It uses auto fill. Start typing the name of the contact in the to box then it will show you choices to choose from. Like if you type a, it will show all contacts that start with a.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #116
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
OK. I must be really dense cause I imported my contacts with the stock mail (did that yesterday). I was able to figure that one out. The contacts are in my contact app. When I open the Enhanced Email app there is no option to import contacts. I even tried to compose a new message and hit the 'to' field. Nothing comes up to select a contact. What am I doing wrong.

Carol
Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #117
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
It uses auto fill. Start typing the name of the contact in the to box then it will show you choices to choose from. Like if you type a, it will show all contacts that start with a.
Well, duh. Yes, it does.

Thank you!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #118
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
OK. I must be really dense cause I imported my contacts with the stock mail (did that yesterday). I was able to figure that one out. The contacts are in my contact app. When I open the Enhanced Email app there is no option to import contacts. I even tried to compose a new message and hit the 'to' field. Nothing comes up to select a contact. What am I doing wrong.

Carol
Contacts is a separate app on an Andriod. Any program that wants to can access them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #119
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Carol
See post #115 above.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #120
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Well double Duh. Thank you.

Actually the stock email app has more options. cc, bcc, attachments.

Carol