Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #76
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks I got it from the App Store (newer version) for 99 Cents! I'm off to try it!

Update: It works great! THANK YOU!!! Well worth the price.

Wow. That cost a lot. For that price this App is hard to pass up !!! Especially since it let's you transfer files from your PC to your Fire without being tied down with a USB cable. This is one of my favorite Android utilities.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Wow. That cost a lot. For that price this App is hard to pass up !!!
Very much worth it! Thanks again!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #78
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Jack, when your messages come up on my computer, there is no text to read. I must reply/quote in order to see what you are saying.

Does anyone else have this problem?
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #79
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post
Jack, when your messages come up on my computer, there is no text to read. I must reply/quote in order to see what you are saying.

That's weird! I've never heard that before. Maybe I'm morphing into a vampire?!

BTW: I'm posting this from my Windows 7 PC. Occasionally I post here via my iPad or KFire. I wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #80
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post

Nope, works fine for me. What browser are you using? Can you drag and select the text in his posts?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

BTW, I use FireFox 8 on the PC, Safari on the iPad, and Opera Mini on the KFire. Now I'm off to see if I can se myself in a mirror.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #82
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If you have never owned an Android device before the Fire, then you might not be aware that apps often don't really close when you exit them. If you are not careful you can wind up with a lot of running apps that can become a drain on your battery and slow down the Fire's performance. There are apps available that can help manage this issue.

Another way is to manually stop unnecessary apps from running by pressing Quick Menu --> More --> Applications then select Running Applications in the Filter by field. This displays a list of all currently running apps along with how many processes and services each uses.

To stop an app from running, select the app from the list and on the screen that is displayed press the Force Stop button.

Some of these probably should be left running like Settings, Amazon Device Client Platform, Kindle Keyboard, etc. But some are simply apps you opened hours ago and thought were closed when you exited them. Use your judgement and close the unnecessary apps and this will help battery and power performance.

If I may, please allow me to piggyback on this post. When you select an Application as described here, you can also choose to clear any data or cache for the App, and you can clear the Launch by Default setting. This last setting is particularly important if you decide you want to use one App over another. For example, say you want to use Opera Mini instead of the Stock Browser. If you don't clear the Launch by Default for the Stock Browser, when you try to browse with Opera it may kick you back to the Stock Browser by default. Sorry, I don't have my son's Fire in front of me so if I don't have the exact wording for the menus I apologize.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #83
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How does one tell what is necessary?

Quote:
If you have never owned an Android device before the Fire, then you might not be aware that apps often don't really close when you exit them. If you are not careful you can wind up with a lot of running apps that can become a drain on your battery and slow down the Fire's performance. There are apps available that can help manage this issue.

Another way is to manually stop unnecessary apps from running by pressing Quick Menu --> More --> Applications then select Running Applications in the Filter by field. This displays a list of all currently running apps along with how many processes and services each uses.

To stop an app from running, select the app from the list and on the screen that is displayed press the Force Stop button.

Some of these probably should be left running like Settings, Amazon Device Client Platform, Kindle Keyboard, etc. But some are simply apps you opened hours ago and thought were closed when you exited them. Use your judgement and close the unnecessary apps and this will help battery and power performance.
I went to that location and found several apps running. TuneIn Pro was one of them. When I tried to stop it, I recieved a warning that it could misbehave if I did stop it. Thus, I cancelled that.

I believe it may be better to let the running ones continue. For example, TuneIn Pro has presets for radio stations. They may get lost if I manually stop it from running.

I also found with that program, that I could turn off my power and the radio station would continue to play via an external speaker. I had to hold the on/off button for 5 seconds to force a total shut down of the music. The control panel stopped working once I turned off the power but without the full shut down.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I went to that location and found several apps running. TuneIn Pro was one of them. When I tried to stop it, I recieved a warning that it could misbehave if I did stop it. Thus, I cancelled that.

I believe it may be better to let the running ones continue. For example, TuneIn Pro has presets for radio stations. They may get lost if I manually stop it from running.

I also found with that program, that I could turn off my power and the radio station would continue to play via an external speaker. I had to hold the on/off button for 5 seconds to force a total shut down of the music. The control panel stopped working once I turned off the power but without the full shut down.
You can hit pause from within the app to make sure it doesn't continue playing once you exit. The same goes for music apps.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #85
craig8128
craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.craig8128 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Jack, can you (or anyone) elaborate on what apps can help manage this, and / or common apps that are notorious for doing this?

Also, is there an easier way to bring up the running apps list then <gear> -> More... -> Applications?

My wife is getting remarkably bad battery performance on her Kindle Fire; I think that at least sometimes it's because some app is using wifi. I wish there was some kind of "I'm just reading a book" mode that would quiesce everything on the device not involved with reading a book.

Craig
craig8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #86
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8128 View Post
Jack, can you (or anyone) elaborate on what apps can help manage this, and / or common apps that are notorious for doing this?

Also, is there an easier way to bring up the running apps list then <gear> -> More... -> Applications?

My wife is getting remarkably bad battery performance on her Kindle Fire; I think that at least sometimes it's because some app is using wifi. I wish there was some kind of "I'm just reading a book" mode that would quiesce everything on the device not involved with reading a book.

Craig
I better defer this to our resident Android experts. However, if she has an app running that wants to use the WiFi for updating data on a regular basis (like a calendar or email app) then that can certainly drain the battery. My KFire isn't too bad, but my phone gets crazy and drains uber fast some days.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #87
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Doesn't work if patch cord is attached.

Quote:
You can hit pause from within the app to make sure it doesn't continue playing once you exit. The same goes for music apps.
The Pause and Stop controls do not work if the patch cord is attached to an external speaker and the Kindle is turned off.

Evidently that is to allow playing radio and / or music for long periods without the automatic shut down for non-use.

However, holding the on / off key for 5 seconds does a total shut down including the sound.

I notice after a total shut down the Kindle takes a little longer to boot up than from the normal sleep mode shut down.

I tried a shut down of the TuneIn app from the Settings \ Application Menu and it had no ill effects on the app. That is the only non-Amazon app that keeps running when one leaves it.

I'll leave it on, however, since I see no purpose in going the extra steps each time I want to end that app. I doubt it really uses that much extra current.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Or maybe a Carousel with the last 10 - 20 items accessed/downloaded. Right now it's too much that it's really not practical.
The carousel is not really meant to be your primary menu/launcher. It is a most recently used stack. Ever time you load/launch something it is added to the top of the carousel stack.

It is the shelves under the carousel you are supposed to use/organize as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefingaz View Post
has anyone tried to load any books to the cloud and gotten them to show up on the fire yet?
There is no way to get Personal Docs from the cloud storage via the Fire UI. You have to go to your amazon page and send the PD to your Kindle. It will then show up on the "docs" area of your Fire.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8128 View Post

Craig
I am currently looking for a similar setting type shortcut but with how Amazon is using a different settings app then the stock android app finding one that works might take some digging. On regular Android you can make a shortcut to it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #90
ipadandkindle
ipadandkindle began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle 3, kindle fire
calendar app

Calengoo (in Amazon App Store) is a wonderful calendar app. It uses your Google Accounts Calendar.

It just works and is very customizable in terms of font size and color. In particular, I like the week view.
ipadandkindle is offline   Reply With Quote