Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #451
jswinden
Nameless Being

I didn't realize they had updated the original Fire (Fire 1) to a Fire 2. Is it just a firmware update to match its big brother the Fire HD, or did they upgrade the hardware too?

To be honest I was never impressed with the Fire 1 and the Fire HD really isn't much better. The special Amazon GUI is really annoying and the lack of Collections for books inexcusable, IMO. The only reason I reluctantly bought the Fire HD was because the Paperwhite sucked even worse and I wanted a mid-size tablet/reader with good screen for reading Kindle books in low lit areas. The Fire HD does excel at that task. But if Apple had put a better screen on the mini I would have bought it instead as the Kindle for iPad app is really good.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #452
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I didn't realize they had updated the original Fire (Fire 1) to a Fire 2. Is it just a firmware update to match its big brother the Fire HD, or did they upgrade the hardware too?
From a website somewhere:
"The Fire (SD, some are calling it) has double the RAM of the original, as well as a faster processor and longer battery life"

The claim is a 40% speed boost, yeilding less lag, snappier performance and capability to support many of the new firmware features.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #453
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

To be honest I was never impressed with the Fire 1 and the Fire HD really isn't much better. The special Amazon GUI is really annoying and the lack of Collections for books inexcusable, IMO. The only reason I reluctantly bought the Fire HD was because the Paperwhite sucked even worse and I wanted a mid-size tablet/reader with good screen for reading Kindle books in low lit areas. The Fire HD does excel at that task. But if Apple had put a better screen on the mini I would have bought it instead as the Kindle for iPad app is really good.
I love my PW more each day. The only thing the Kindle Touch has over the Paperwhite is looks. That solid black with silver letters looks like a cheap throwback to earlier models to me. Plus, I miss the option of a headphone jack; even though I never used it the text-to-speech function except to check it out. Other than that, the PW rocks.

Now if I were in the market for a Fire, I'd check out the new, larger ones, perhaps even the $499 HD 8.9" with the 4G LTE Wireless. 250 MB/month for 12 months for a one-time payment of $49 is nothing to sneeze at—unless you plan to watch videos and do a lot of downloading when away from your home Wi-Fi setup. You can pack a lot of emails and forum surfing into 250 MG per month. I have a 3G 500 MB/month plan for my Virgin Mobile Hotspot and rarely go over 300 MG in a month. It's slow as molasses, but for what I use it for, it gets the job done.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #454
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

I finally broke down and rooted my KFHD (after the 7.2.2 update), temporarily disabled OTA updates, and installed Go Launcher EX. It is now the most responsive and smoothest Android tablet that I've owned. I might install Google Play just to round it out.

The original Amazon UI is just a tap away should I want to use it.

Having said that, I don't think that I'd recommend the KFHD to anyone unless they planned on using it "stock".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #455
Luangpor
Luangpor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Gmail contacts on Kindle Fire.

I've only had my Kindle Fire a few weeks and successfully set up Gmail with the Contacts syncing properly. Then suddenly my Gmail Contacts were no longer there in the Fire Contacts and since then some have appeared but only a few. Has anyone any idea what's happened and what I can do to put things right?
Luangpor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #456
night_reader
night_reader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
From a website somewhere:
"The Fire (SD, some are calling it) has double the RAM of the original, as well as a faster processor and longer battery life"

The claim is a 40% speed boost, yeilding less lag, snappier performance and capability to support many of the new firmware features.

ApK
That is all good but how does it affect the battery life? It's important to have a snappy device if I am playing video games, but not for reading an e-book.. Especially if it affects the total usage time...

Last edited by night_reader; 01-12-2013 at 01:29 AM.
night_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #457
SAILORBOY808
SAILORBOY808 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd 7 inch
Smile Chrome, Dolphin browser, google maps, google earth

My kindle fire hd 7 has a nice browser but I wanted versatility while surfing the web or using applications in general . I found a website that houses tons of free android apk.apps. www.androiddrawer.com
Make sure to turn on " allow installation of third party apps " before you start downloading.
This process does not root the device; just a cool way to get apps like king soft office, chrome, google earth etc. Without voiding Amazon's 1 year warranty
Hope this helps!
SAILORBOY808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #458
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
oops wrong thread

Last edited by booklover6; 02-14-2013 at 05:52 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #459
pb117
pb117 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8.9" HD
Another dumb*ss noob question: how does one clear the memory in this device? I have the Cleaner app installed but this doesn't seem to affect the memory figure. I've removed any number of items from the carousel/device but the memory figure does not change. Can't find an option for this in the menu but I could be looking right over it. Thanks.
pb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #460
Ararose
Enthusiast
Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Ararose turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Fire
Umm... help? I just got a new Kindle Fire HD for my birthday and I have two questions.
1. What is the best app for reading epubs on the Fire HD? I read somewhere that Overdrive Media was available as an app for the Fire HD, but I don't know as much about Overdrive Media as I do about Calibre and ADE.
2. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, someone PLEASE tell me there is a way to change the wallpaper and the lock screen on this thing! I've already tried a couple of apps that haven't worked, and if I have to look at one more ad about shows or products I don't care about and that I will never buy no matter how many times they throw it at me..... And I'm not paying $15 to get rid of the ads. That's just wrong on so many levels!

Any help is greatly appreciated! *whimper*
Ararose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #461
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post
Umm... help? I just got a new Kindle Fire HD for my birthday and I have two questions.
1. What is the best app for reading epubs on the Fire HD? I read somewhere that Overdrive Media was available as an app for the Fire HD, but I don't know as much about Overdrive Media as I do about Calibre and ADE.
2. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, someone PLEASE tell me there is a way to change the wallpaper and the lock screen on this thing! I've already tried a couple of apps that haven't worked, and if I have to look at one more ad about shows or products I don't care about and that I will never buy no matter how many times they throw it at me..... And I'm not paying $15 to get rid of the ads. That's just wrong on so many levels!

The ads subsidize the price that whoever gave you the gift paid.
There's nothing wrong about that.
You could return the gift and out the money towards a different tablet that's more to your liking. I bet it would cost more that $15 additional, though.

Last edited by ApK; 09-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #462
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ararose View Post

Mobileread disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

Please see this post for further information.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-24-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added highlight.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #463
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Mobileread disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

Please see this post for further information.
Um no, you really can't change the gloomy background with wallpaper unless you root. I agree, it sucks.
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #464
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
Um no, you really can't change the gloomy background with wallpaper unless you root. I agree, it sucks.
Sorry for the confusion. I edited the post and highlight the passage of the quoted text to make it plainer as to which portion of Ararose's post I was replying.

Although rooting may or may not be a necessary perquisite to removing advertisements, rooting a device you own is not the same as removing ads that subsidized someone's purchase of a device. I see nothing unethical concerning a person who roots their own device in order to add functionality.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #465
k4955
k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k4955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, KF 2015, Nexus 2013 wi-fi, Nokia Lumia 2520, HP Stream 8
I own Kindle Fire 1st Generation and Fire 2015. Recently under devices and content in Amazon website was showing 2 Kindle Fire 1st generation both the same name and serial number, one with kindle email address and one without. Called Amazon who suggested to factory reset and still the issue was not resolved. I had rooted KF 1st generation and using TWRP installed GedeRom, which is CyanogenMod 4.0.1. After installing Kindle in this device was able to view my books but unfortunately will not download US English dictionary. Any body has suggestion. The table is out of warranty and will not support me. I love my Kindle Fire.
Thanks
k4955 is offline   Reply With Quote