Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #166
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
OK, I"ve bookmarked NYtimes.com. We'll see tomorrow which day pops up. I suspect it will be tomorrows. As for a home page, I still don't see where you set it--I see nothing about a home page

kdoc
I couldn't find the setting for Home page either. I wonder if he was talking about a browser other than Silk? I would also like to set up my Home pages for Silk and Opera.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #167
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Use the back button it works as the exit button. Hitting home will leave some programs running like Mantano or File Expert.

When you hit the back button in some Android Apps (not all of them) tell you it is exiting, but in reality it really doesn't seem like it matters. Or at least that I can tell anyway. When you hit Home the App isn't really running in the background either, it is more like it is minimized (suspended) without any CPU usage.

I'm not too sure what the real difference is supposed to be between these two functions because you can use an App called Quick System Info Pro (free from Amazon) and were to look at the Processes tab you would see that the CPU use is 0 % whether you hit the back button or Home. If you check Quick Info Pro the CPU usage is 0% and the memory usage is exactly the same using either method. The only thing that seems to differentiate them is that when you use Home and then open the App again it goes back to where it was when you hit Home. This has always been a real head scratcher for me.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-24-2011 at 07:50 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #168
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I couldn't find the setting for Home page either. I wonder if he was talking about a browser other than Silk? I would also like to set up my Home pages for Silk and Opera.
I may have been mistaken. I really don't use the Stock browser so I assumed that choosing Settings would give you an option to change the Home page. I'm surprised to hear there isn't one. My apologies. As far as Opera Mini, I think you are stuck with the tiled home page. I wish there were a way to change it also.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #169
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Browsers

OK, then tell me, since several people have added Opera Mini, WHY? Is it better, faster, or what compared to Silk?

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
OK, then tell me, since several people have added Opera Mini, WHY? Is it better, faster, or what compared to Silk?

kdoc
Opera Mobile is better then Opera Mini. It has pinch to zoom, ability download files in formats that Silk wont. I wont say it's better but it's a great additional browser that will do things Silk wont.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #171
jswinden
Nameless Being

I still use Silk mostly, but one thing I like about Opera Mobile is that it can open some websites like a desktop browser rather than opening the mobile site. CNN.com is one example where Silk always opens a mobile version but OM doesn't.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #172
kdoc
Enthusiast

Why when I try and download Opera Mobile do i get a message saying it's not available for my type of tablet?

kdoc
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #173
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Why when I try and download Opera Mobile do i get a message saying it's not available for my type of tablet?

kdoc
I'm not sure because it does work on the KF. I downloaded it to my computer then copied it to my KF and installed it that way.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #174
kdoc
Enthusiast

Browser

When you go through your computer to download it onto the computer, to where on the Fire do you copy it--which folder. And are there any particular steps one takes in installing something that way?

kdoc
Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #175
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
When you go through your computer to download it onto the computer, to where on the Fire do you copy it--which folder. And are there any particular steps one takes in installing something that way?

kdoc
Here is a explanation of how to sideload in this manner. You can copy the apk file into any folder or place it on the root. After installation, you can delete the apk file if you want.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #176
kdoc
Enthusiast

OK, thanks; I've got it installed. Now I'm still trying some workaround so I can have a home page. I've set the SpeedKey part--and that works. But what about bookmarks: how do I set them in opera, and how do I quickly retrieve them in both Silk and Opera.

kdoc
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #177
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
OK, thanks; I've got it installed. Now I'm still trying some workaround so I can have a home page. I've set the SpeedKey part--and that works. But what about bookmarks: how do I set them in opera, and how do I quickly retrieve them in both Silk and Opera.

kdoc
In Opera press on the red O at the upper-left of the screen to display the menu buttons. Press the Bookmarks button to display the Bookmarks popup. From there you can select a bookmark, manage bookmarks, or create a bookmark by pressing the + button at the top of the popup.

In silk press the Bookmark icon (just to right of Menu icon in the Option bar).
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #178
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You can remove app and web page icons from the Carousel via settings, but the next time you open them they will return. Books are not removable from the Carousel--whatever you have archived will show up. We have complained loudly to Amazon as the carousel is pretty much universally disliked in its present state.
I'm armed with the KF now as I bought it this morning.

This forum has made things much easier and I also went through the user guide. I'm glad I've spent the time so as not to get frustrated with the device right off the bat!

Chalk me up to the list of not liking the carousel as well. The more I do, the more that gets stored there. A webpage I last visited, video (the Netflix icon and a Blue Collar TV show icon from accessing this via Amazon's instant video), books, Angry Birds, etc.

I went to settings but I don't see where to close down app and web page icons. I didn't want to force close some things because it gave me a warning which I heeded. Better safe than sorry so I'm back here for info trying to make the carousel a bit more orderly with less clutter!

Last edited by robertc88; 11-25-2011 at 05:05 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #179
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I'm armed with the KF now as I bought it this morning.

This forum has made things much easier and I also went through the user guide. I'm glad I've spent the time so as not to get frustrated with the device right off the bat!

Chalk me up to the list of not liking the carousel as well. The more I do, the more that gets stored there. A webpage I last visited, video (the Netflix icon and a Blue Collar TV show icon from accessing this via Amazon's instant video), books, Angry Birds, etc.

I went to settings but I don't see where to close down app and web page icons. I didn't want to force close some things because it gave me a warning which I heeded. Better safe than sorry so I'm back here for info trying to make the carousel a bit more orderly with less clutter!
Here is a link to how to clean up the Carousel a bit.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #180
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Like Scion said, IT WORKS!!

I'm going to jot down how to do it until it becomes second nature but this really helps the carousel hot button issue I have with the device. I really don't mind doing the procedure before I power down the device each night.

Nothing is left now except the user manual and the books on the carousel currently.

Thanks alot!!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote