Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There have been numerous threads about Mary Steward's Arthurian Saga on Mobileread, which is in this same bind: there are (were?) several ebook versions at Kobo and Amazon, but it's still not clear if they are/were legitimate.
They were not legal and the the copy up on Smashwords is also not legal. There are no legal eBook versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #152
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no legal eBook versions.
In the USA. There are legal versions elsewhere.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They were not legal and the the copy up on Smashwords is also not legal. There are no legal eBook versions.
Nonsense.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Cav.../dp/B00713DNEE
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #154
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

It stands to reason that there will be people who shell out €129-299 for an e-reader with the thought to 'earn it back' by pirating the e-books.
It's kind of a logical way of thinking. My standing mixer with a dough hook "pays for itself" by allowing me to make delicious homemade bread practically hands free, for a fraction of the price of the tasteless bag of air we buy when we're in a hurry. We (the royal we) want our expensive devices to save us money in other ways and to have some longevity. It's only natural.

I was born back in the day when my favorite classics cost at least $15 each. When E-books became a thing, and the MR library as well as project Gutenberg made public domain literature available for free, my e-reader did pay for itself because at least 50 or so of my childhood favorites that I otherwise would have bought for $5-$25 were free for the taking.

I was highly spoiled by these public domain downloads. While most everyone else is clamoring for the fresh releases, I'm content to save money by reading my old favorites. That leaves me money to buy e-books more selectively and wait for sales.

That having been said, I disagree with the author that "piracy" hurt her sales. I don't know this author personally but went hunting around for reviews of her books, and it seems the quality of her writing went down without having very many special "tempting" price offers.

When I don't like a book or I don't have the budget for it, I just don't buy it, or wait for a library loan. Nothing to do with piracy.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #155
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahastudio View Post
I'm not an expert, either, but having read the first three books in the series, I have to wonder if it's because the series went downhill at the third book, and not many may have been willing to buy it after reading the pirated version.

The first book was great, the second book was alright, and the third took a nosedive. The third book is when I quit the series, though I didn't pirate it. In my case, I just never picked up the fourth.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk
Your experience is not uncommon where authors try to extend their initial success into more and more sequels and episodes.

It happened with me for DUNE plus 5 sequels, and for Tarnsman Of Gor with an untold number of sequels and spin-offs.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #156
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Your experience is not uncommon where authors try to extend their initial success into more and more sequels and episodes.

It happened with me for DUNE plus 5 sequels, and for Tarnsman Of Gor with an untold number of sequels and spin-offs.
Robert Asprin is the author that I think of when it comes to the first couple of books of a series being really good, and then a steady decline. He wrote a lot of series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote