Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
ABBO
ABBO began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Thumbs down [iOS] Calibre companion: Just purchased-Unable to connect to iphone or server

Hello

I have just purchased Calibre Companion and tried to connect from my iPhone to Calibre on my laptop (Windows 10).

When I try and connect, I see the words 'Connected: starting initial sync'. It then shows a rotating wheel for a few minutes and then disconnects. Nothing happens.

When I try and connect to the content server, I get this message:

"calibre, version 3.12.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content server: Could not start the Content server. Error:
No socket could be created -- (('10.0.1.4', 8080): [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions)"

I have no idea what this means or how to solve it.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
ABBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:38 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't have a specific answer, but if you check out CC's FAQ page you might find information needed to correct this issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Also here are two threads I found using the search feature that may apply.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=281164

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285307
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBO View Post
When I try and connect to the content server, I get this message:

"calibre, version 3.12.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content server: Could not start the Content server. Error:
No socket could be created -- (('10.0.1.4', 8080): [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions)"

I have no idea what this means or how to solve it.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
That message is coming from calibre on the windows laptop. It says that the calibre content server cannot start because "something" in Windows refused to give it permission to listen to the network. That "something" is almost certainly the antivirus, firewall, or other security software you have on the laptop. The same software would probably prevent the wireless device driver from starting. A calibre debug log (not a CC one) would tell you that.

There is more information about defeating antivirus-like SW in our FAQ How do I setup Calibre Companion to connect to calibre?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connect to iphone, content server