Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 AM   #31
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet84 View Post
Well I don't know exactly the amount the delay but believe me it's totally acceptable.
[...]
I will do a video where I'll show the minum delay input when I do word processing.
Well Matteo, you could make a video in which you show both the direct standard monitor and the Dasung working nearby in mirror mode (e.g. using a laptop as a source), then it is a matter for us of placing the video in an editor and count the frames to measure the delay.

Quote:
Anyway I saw the video of Onyx Boox Max 2 playing youtube and the delay is soooo huge!
That's 800ms, as seen as a 20 frames delay in a 25 frames video. Not huge in fact in absolute terms, but strange in a supposed HDMI connection.

Last edited by mdp; 10-31-2017 at 01:15 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:49 AM   #32
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just upload my new video of the Dasung PaperlikePro!
Having direct experience, could you try to explain Dasung's Floyd mode more technically?
It does not seem to be based on A2, since from your video it seems to use all 16 shades. Is that right?

EDIT: could you post a picture of this one attached, fullscreen, rendered by the Dasung in Floyd mode? I am not sure how you can post the result without upsetting the Overlord, the interesting part is rendering at pixel level. (Maybe try with a stripe, e.g. 3000x100 - the official limit is 600x600, but staying within the computed equivalent 3mpixels limit is unofficially tolerated. Keep the weight low, e.g. the attached is 2kb - but try to preserve the clarity of the Dasung dots).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gradient16.png
Views:	522
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	159702  

Last edited by mdp; 10-31-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Attachments can be any resolution you want. The 600x600 is for inline images.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Well Matteo, you could make a video in which you show both the direct standard monitor and the Dasung working nearby in mirror mode (e.g. using a laptop as a source), then it is a matter for us of placing the video in an editor and count the frames to measure the delay.

That's 800ms, as seen as a 20 frames delay in a 25 frames video. Not huge in fact in absolute terms, but strange in a supposed HDMI connection.
No problem, I will make this video with pleasure!
In this you will be able to see the responsiveness of the Paperlike Pro!
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
skynet84
Enthusiast

Quote:
Having direct experience, could you try to explain Dasung's Floyd mode more technically?
It does not seem to be based on A2, since from your video it seems to use all 16 shades. Is that right?

EDIT: could you post a picture of this one attached, fullscreen, rendered by the Dasung in Floyd mode? I am not sure how you can post the result without upsetting the Overlord, the interesting part is rendering at pixel level. (Maybe try with a stripe, e.g. 3000x100 - the official limit is 600x600, but staying within the computed equivalent 3mpixels limit is unofficially tolerated. Keep the weight low, e.g. the attached is 2kb - but try to preserve the clarity of the Dasung dots).
Hi mdp! In my second video I used the various modes in the following order:
A16 mode
A2 mode
FLOYD mode

The Floyd mode is the mode that I use everyday. It is very responsive and it keeps anyway a good quality of the image. I extracted and uploaded a screenshot of each mode from my video. Temporarily I don't have my Paperlike Pro with me (so I cannot take a photo), but the resolution of the screenshots are quite good since a shot my videos in 4K.
Here you are:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EFzMkk2U3p3cTA

If you have any questions ask me without problems.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #36
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Hi mdp! In my second video I used the various modes in the following order: [...] If you have any questions ask me without problems.
Thank you! Yes, I did download that yesterday and checked those very Nicholson image rendered in Dasung's Floyd mode (see this post).
If you could check with those grey bars image, it would be clearer how that mode really works.
EDIT: even/also a 4x optical zoom on Jack's eye would probably clarify.

See, there's a bit of confusion about what that is. Normally, one would guess we are talking about a Floyd-Steinberg algorithm, meaning the image is dithered (and those Nicholsons' shots, normal vs "Floyd", seem to bring us in this direction).

But "Dasung's Floyd mode" is said to be a Floyd-Warshall algorithm - a "path finder in graphs of weighed relations", and a way to "optimize speed". And I do not see the relation.

Last edited by mdp; 10-31-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:52 AM   #37
skynet84
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, I did download that yesterday and checked those very Nicholson image rendered in Dasung's Floyd mode (see this post).
If you could check with those grey bars image, it would be clearer how that mode really works.
EDIT: even/also a 4x optical zoom on Jack's eye would probably clarify.

See, there's a bit of confusion about what that is. Normally, one would guess we are talking about a Floyd-Steinberg algorithm, meaning the image is dithered (and those Nicholsons' shots, normal vs "Floyd", seem to bring us in this direction).

But "Dasung's Floyd mode" is said to be a Floyd-Warshall algorithm - a "path finder in graphs of weighed relations", and a way to "optimize speed". And I do not see the relation.
You're welcome mdp! As soon as I can I will take a high resolution photo of the Dasung displaying the image that you have attached in the previous post. I will send you the link in this thread!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #38
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway I saw the video of Onyx Boox Max 2 playing youtube and the delay is soooo huge!
You're saying the Paperlike pro performs faster, do you stand by that statement ? Nate from digitalereader mentioned that there is a chance the Max 2 might actually be faster.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #39
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
You're saying the Paperlike pro performs faster, do you stand by that statement ? Nate from digitalereader mentioned that there is a chance the Max 2 might actually be faster.
The only video of MAX 2 used as monitor is quite controversial. It was discussed quite in detail in other threads. I think we should wait for first reviews of MAX 2 once it is released next week to decide.

IMHO MAX 2 with its new hardware should be at least as fast as Dasung, I expect it being faster (especially in 16 grayscale mode).
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #40
skynet84
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi mpd! Here I am back... finally I have my Paperlike Pro back in my hands! I didn't forget your request...
I just shot two photos of your pattern shown with Floyd Mode. Both photos are floyd mode but with 2 different contrast settings (one is lighter, the other is darker).
Here you are:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1la...Nb65TCHtV5OHJW
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ge...9bYcecePaeTVlr

Enjoy!
Skynet84
Old 11-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #41
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I just shot two photos of your pattern shown with Floyd Mode.
Thank you. Judging from your images, Floyd mode is an A2 mode (in hardware) using Floyd dithering (in software). Other devices do it - such as the Onyx Boox Max Carta.

Last edited by mdp; 11-24-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #42
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Nate from digitalereader mentioned that there is a chance the Max 2 might actually be faster.
Now everything is clear. Dasung faster than Onyx. Onyx has input lag of 300 ms, which is very bad. Dasung is noticeably less, as I can judge from video reviews.
I knew about this delay, starting with the first Onyx video as a second monitor. This was not fixed in the release version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
The only video of MAX 2 used as monitor is quite controversial. It was discussed quite in detail in other threads. I think we should wait for first reviews of MAX 2 once it is released next week to decide.

IMHO MAX 2 with its new hardware should be at least as fast as Dasung, I expect it being faster (especially in 16 grayscale mode).
As you can see, expectations were not justified. It's all the same 6 frames per second and 300 ms input lag as in the first video.

Quote:
Thank you. Judging from your images, Floyd mode is an A2 mode (in hardware) using Floyd dithering (in software). Other devices do it - such as the Onyx Boox Max Carta.
And also Nook Simple Touch

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 01-18-2018 at 12:11 PM.
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #43
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
did new models come in the meantime, possibly cheaper?
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #44
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
did new models come in the meantime, possibly cheaper?
There are new models, but they are more expensive: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...ve-your-eyes#/

Neighboring topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310301
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #45
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
There are new models, but they are more expensive: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...ve-your-eyes#/

Neighboring topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310301
interesting thanks
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote