Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-23-2016, 03:32 AM   #1
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
nightly builds updates

Hello, what exactly are these day to day updates for, what are the changes between releases? can I read the list of changes somewhere? thanks
http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
As pull request gets incorporated, new builds are made.

To see what's new you need to look first here: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases

You see last build information, at the moment it looks like this:

koreader-nightly-20161120
Frenzie released this 3 days ago · 8 commits to master since this release

Bold part say that there was 8 new commits and is clickable link. When you click on it you see commits sorted by day when they were incorporated. Now you look for commits that interest you the most and look for build that has them.

All things are linked to discussions, or issues, whatever. Over time you'll get how it is organized and you'll be able to more or less new what is what.

Or, the most simple way is to just take latest build.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
More Github KOReader Project related:

The Github WiKi

The "Pulse" page that presents the current issues, and announcements.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The term "stable version" is a reference point to the code development, not really related to how stable the code performs.
I think that's slightly unfair and more accurately describes the explicitly tagged "nightlies". However, it's true that to some extent the word "stable" also means that most known issues remain stable, because every change might break something else. The devil you know and all that.

In any case, for the sake of other people reading this I'll include that the general distinction goes something like this:
  • Auto-generated nightlies. These are only available from the nightly build server directly. There's no human involvement here. Nightlies are automatically built once a day (proverbially at night). In principle quality could therefore range anywhere from horrific failure to stable.
  • Tagged nightlies. The ones you find on GitHub. These were briefly tested on the emulator and one or more real devices without finding anything obviously wrong.
  • Alpha. Basically the same as tagged nightlies but with the intent to primarily fix bugs that pop up so that it can go to beta.
  • Beta. Generally no new features and only bug fixing.
  • Stable. All bugs that cropped up during the alpha and beta (and RC) stages that were considered blockers have been fixed. During beta this should normally have been tested on all supported platforms.

I'd say that in KOReader the alpha and beta stages are somewhat less formal. Basically any time you don't see new features being added the program tends to creep toward stable whether it's a conscious effort or not.

tl;dr If that were all I'd tag the current code 2017.07 stable and be done with it as it's generally been good to me for quite a while now.
Quote:
That said; changes to the OS code, by kobo firmware updates can effect the programs that run under that OS. The "stable version" was probably quite stable when it was released, with the then current firmware.
Indeed. Had you (generic you) installed KOReader on one of the devices that were out two years ago you'd have enjoyed two years of stability. The KA1 came out less than a year ago. I'd say a better question is why Kobo incompatibly changed things on the software end when the new hardware doesn't seem to be capable of doing anything new. Unfortunately they're not trying to provide a stable platform for third-party developers, but that's a lot better than outright hostility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I initially made the same mistake thinking that a "stable version" would be preferable and more stable than a "nightly build".
That's not a mistake unless you have a specific reason not to use the stable version. Few reasons are more pressing than having an otherwise unsupported device. You should be perfectly fine using nightlies, but in that case you should also be prepared to roll back to the previous release if they break. A new stable is somewhat overdue though.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
confused about version numbers

I must say i find this all rather confusing.

The "stable" link from the Kobo install page points to the old 2015 release.

The download link from the homepage leads to the GitHub release page which *also* links releases named "nightly" except they are not really nightly releases - time intervals vary between 2 weeks and a month or two.

The "nightly" links from the Kobo install page point to the nightly build page, but then the filenames are like v2015.11-1416-gb37ae2d which seem to be from November 2015 too, except the incremental number (and date column) seem to show those are actually newer releases. Those also bleed into the Koreader user interface itself and at first glance the user may think there's not really a more recent update pending... That was my first reaction when i tried to see if there was an update.

How about we forget about November 2015 and generate real time-stamp-based release numbers, if we're going to be time-based only?

Also, for vocabulary I'd suggested dropping the "stable" vs "development" keywords in the UI. It seems like everything is "development" these days (which is fine too!). I would instead use channels named "release" or "tagged" and "nightly", ie. distinguish between manually and automatically released material. "manual" vs "automatic" doesn't have such a nice ring though.

It would be great to get that naming consistent across the documentation litterature and user interface, and get date tags that match the actual release date, whether it is a automatic (aka nightly) or release (aka stable) package...
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, the actual "date" of a "Nightly" is of very little concern, its sequential number is what tells the user what they need to know. That they are in batches that are labeled with a starting year and month, is a potential minor confusion, but overall the sequential numbering is what makes it useful.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anarcat I'd like to get the H2O2 and this worked out before calling something a new stable release.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
meh. there will always be bugs... there hasn't been a "stable" release for years now, yet the "stable release channel" (the github repo) has releases. it's confusing.

and those incrementing version numbers say absolutely nothing. they don't say anything about the severity of the update (like semver would do), so you might as well just say that people are supposed to read what's going on straight from the git hash checksums. they are useful for *machines*, so they can tell there is a new version coming. but users? you're really expecting people to remember they have r1410 installed and "oh lookahere! r1416 came out!" most people won't even *notice* those numbers.

i know, because i notice and remember numbers very well, and *i* didn't notice there was an incrementing number next to the date until, well, very recently. i basically spent two years not using Koreader because I thought development had stalled.

a date is a well-recognize semantic unit. it tells time. right now, the clock is broken and stuck 2 years ago. can we get the clock going again?
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There would be no real indication of "the severity of the update" short of a paragraph of text. Certainly, not something that would be user readable and fit in the file name. The "sequential" numbers tell the user where each download package fits in relation to the others. That is pretty much the primary reason for numbering things. Being able to identify a download package that coincides with the start of a problem, can be a major help. The user being able to select an earlier/lower numbered package to install which restores his device to pre-problem functioning, is also helpful. All without the average user knowing the function of those hash codes. People don't have to remember, KOReader includes a "Version" menu option that displays a message box with the version information.

While a little rare, there have been dates where more then one update package was released. The time on the clock (or the date in the file name) tells me absolutely nothing about which package is the newest.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard

Had I been involved, I would've argued for a scheme that's a little less git-describe and a little more dates with suffixes. In any case, we can't just break backward compatibility. Something like this might potentially be a backwards compatible option:

Code:
$ echo "$(git describe HEAD) ($(git describe HEAD | xargs git show -s --format=format:"%cd" --date=short))"
v2015.11-1035-gb33c9268 (2017-05-11)
Quote:
meh. there will always be bugs... there hasn't been a "stable" release for years now, yet the "stable release channel" (the github repo) has releases. it's confusing.
There's a perfectly good two-year-old stable release and there are releases called "nightlies". At worst I think it's confusing that these "nightlies" could, as a rule of thumb, also be called something like "betas," but that should apply to any software with a certain degree of CI.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcat View Post
and those incrementing version numbers say absolutely nothing.
Actually, they do say something.

As new PR are incorporated, numbers go up. In a way, you can look at those numbers as a way to see how many new PRs are added. Of course, each PR could be relatively simple, like changing typo somewhere in code, or they could be something "revolutionary" like new statistics, which is pretty awesome in my opinion.

So, they say something, but it is hard to say what exactly they say.

And if you didn't used koreader for two years, now it is very different, much better, with many new options, functions, plugins, e.g. besides statistics, I very much like option to see images in full screen (long press on image).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
There's a perfectly good two-year-old stable release and there are releases called "nightlies". At worst I think it's confusing that these "nightlies" could, as a rule of thumb, also be called something like "betas," but that should apply to any software with a certain degree of CI.
I am used to follow OTA updates. These last few months, I've experienced frequent mangled screens when coming back from sleep. It was enough to tap on the top right corner to get back with a nice reading screen. Not a big problem. Nevertheless...

I updated yesterday to v2015.-1422-g021e3db and everything came back to normal like in the good days of yore. I had thought that maybe my Kindle had caught a kind of cold, but it seems it's not the case.

roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote