Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
Do you mean that it works as rooted also in English?
I tried differnt versions.
The problem with rooting in other languages is made by Smartlauncher.
with Smartlauncher 3 Pro (in rooting package) you can root in the language you want (i performed it in English).
Another possibility is to install and setup One Toucher
http://www.onexuan.com/quick/download.php
And set it up to used apps and using this for switching.
I have installed Smartlauncher 3 Pro, but i dont use it.
I am using One Toucher for switching between Apps.
In one of my Tolinos i have uninstalled Smart Launcher, because it isnt necessary, when One Toucher is good working.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-10-2017 at 01:25 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #32
Meistrovich
Meistrovich began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 4hd
Sorry, ottischwenk
Is it an answer to me or for others?
I dont get it, why is it good to reroot or use One Toucher. I couldnt install it on my tolino, only on phone, there is nothing related within this apps to dictionaries. This app doesnt make any sense to me.
I just want a decent dictionary on tolino which is fast, and doesnt matter that the searched word is in plural or in another term.
Meistrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It was no answer to your question

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-24-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #34
Lookas
Lookas began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
I've rarely hated anything like I hate this thing

Dear readers, I've bought a Vision 4HD.
A nightmare.
It's driving me crazy.
Please help.
I study with it, so I must underlines a lot.
This function here is horrible! The cursor moves extremely slow or fast, it does not respond at all with precision, it's impossible to use. Often it turns page instead of underlining!
Besides, if I must underline a sentence which continues in the next page, i cannot. I must change font size to have the whole sentence in one page, which maybe it's how all eReaders work, but this is my first one so I'm just disgusted.
The underlined stuff is mixed with the notes. So, if i underline things to remember them, or to add a note to it (like "ask the prof), it's all mixed!
Turning page is also slow.
All is not very responsive.
It seems like a smartphone from 10 years ago.
And this is top of the line?

If it's possible to solve this, can you tell me how?
If not, what's the fastest e-reader around, with at least 8gb memory or an SD expansion?
Is the aura h2o as good as the one? I like waterproof things. But i would sacrifice that if the one is faster.
Epub is a must.
And the pdf should work better than in the Tolino, which is a horror.

Thanks!
Lookas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #35
Lookas

Btw, do you suggest opening a new thread to get this answer/help reaching more people?
I don't know this forum, you can tell me.
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookas View Post
Dear readers, I've bought a Vision 4HD.
I study with it, so I must underlines a lot.
Use printer, paper and pencil!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #37
Lookas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Use printer, paper and pencil!
I do when I'm home.
I'm traveling with backpack (kind of long term) and have lot of books to read, that's why I've an e-reader.
Seriously, which readers can offer a faster and more precise underlining?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest you try a stylus. You can get ones that simulate fingers so they will work and tend to be more precise.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:56 AM   #39
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
So, how satisfied are the Tolino 3/4 HD users about hard- and software?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #40
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Does anyone know whether the Tolinos have a vocabulary building function like Kindles and Kobos (the latter as a hidden feature)?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #41
mirh
mirh doesn't littermirh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Tolino Vision HD 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
So, how satisfied are the Tolino 3/4 HD users about hard- and software?
A darn lot.
Hardware-wise.. Well, you have a 300dpi screen and your some-week autonomy.
Then warm light and waterproofness are cool to have too, but you can't say Visions are aliens.

What instead they are C R A Z Y, is how easy they are to "tinker with".
You are like 10 minutes away from installing your favorite manga or pdf reader, or whatever else you might deem useful.
I mean, I guess like this shouldn't be their main selling point (there are literal fully fledged android tablets with e-ink screens for that).
Tolinos are supposed to compete in the "reading or GTFO" market of Kindles and Kobos (with the snappiness and "no experience compromises" this entails)

But a device of the latter category, with *also* total user control is totally unheard of.
Hell, I think there are freaking "smart"phones that are more unfriendly from this point of view.

I swear, it's a no brainier to buy them.

Said this, the only PITA is that for as much the "unlock" procedure is a cakewalk in practice, in theory there's nothing *clear* written in English, and even in German forums there are maybe a handful of people really knowing what they are doing.
So.. Follows my procedure. Credits to user Chiana and Chalid El-Heliebi.

No, you won't break wifi. No, this won't affect the language of your device.
I don't really know to what use root such simple device for, so I'll just illustrate the neater procedure to have an app launcher
Quote:
  1. It is assumed you are on latest 10.1.0 firmware (should also be available via OTA)
  2. Download ALLESebook_tolino_v4hd_root_1.9.0.zip and extract 1_images folder
  3. Make sure to have adb and fastboot installed. And please, don't complain here if "my Windows has problems with driver"
  4. Put Tolino in fastboot mode:
    • connect it to USB, then power off
    • first press light button, then also press power one - until home button blinks
    • fastboot devices command should show you something
  5. fastboot flash boot custom_boot.img (eventually, with path to wherever you unpacked this file)
  6. fastboot reboot
  7. Once it turns on, check if adb devices returns anything
    • If not, check device manager for a "tolino" yellow triangle entry
    • Open its Proprieties, then Driver tab, then force update it with Android ADB Interface driver
  8. Give adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.Settings$WirelessSettingsActivity
  9. Enable Unknown Sources installation from Security settings
  10. Download Nova Classic (but any other launcher of your choice should be fine too)
  11. Download SidePanel (mirror)
  12. adb install NovaLauncher_3.3.apk and adb install kr.hybdms.sidepanel.apk
  13. Reboot
  14. When asked about "default choice", press the little white space below the two options, then select Nova Launcher
  15. Open the app drawer, then SidePanel, then check Enable service and Start on boot
(optional) fastboot flash boot boot.img back original kernel, that you can extract from official firmware update.zip

Congrats, you are done!
Truth be told I'm still wondering if a good old fashioned AOSP launcher couldn't be preferred, and whether there isn't a "side panel dock" which can catch back button long presses (AFAIU home button sends "back" actions) but still better than my best dreams.
mirh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:43 AM   #42
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Thanks. This should be made into a sticky
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 AM   #43
mirh
mirh doesn't littermirh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Tolino Vision HD 4
If only there was a corresponding forum section..
mirh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #44
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Just to let you know, installing an app launcher and additional apks still works on firmware version 11.2.2 (based on Android 4.4.2 instead of 4.0.4 for versions up to 10.x). However, you'll probably need a new boot.img to install with fastboot (at least I didn't dare to use the one linked here from the rooting package for version 1.9.0 since it was not my device). I found a script on https://forum.alles-ebook.de/showthr...t-img-und-WLAN that lets you generate a suitable custom boot.img for every tolino model and firmware from the official update.zip you can download from https://mytolino.com/service/updates/ for your device.

Edit: If you're using KOReader, updating might not be the best idea at the moment. Whereas KOReader works really well on 10.x, it's not really usable on 11.2.x due to the missing screen refresh described in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3517.

Last edited by taos; 05-26-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Additional warning.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #45
Dryhte
Crow

Thanks for the heads up.
If anyone finds a way to have the suspend.jpg working on this new version, that would be stellar. I really don't like the default look (I'd added my name/e-mail/phone number and my avatar)

Tags
tolino, tolino vision