Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How can I add my son to my Audible Account?

When I had primes he was on it but I just found out Once the Prime Ended ALL of the apps Vanish from his PC Not sure what Prime had to do with him being on the accounts. What he needs on his PC is Music, Movies & Audible Mgr

I looked under Audible which said I could add him IF he had his own account or as a child IF I Pay the FreeTime fees But I don't see any other ways.

in advance
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Barbara, I'm going to ask the obvious. Why not just tell him your email and password so he can sign in with your credentials?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Can you not add him to your family library? That's what it's there for. He will need a compatible device though. A $50 Fire tablet will work. He will also need to open a Amazon account but it's free to do so. The family library allows one extra adult account. I have my hubby on mine and no you don't need Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201620400

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Barbara, I'm going to ask the obvious. Why not just tell him your email and password so he can sign in with your credentials?
That would be dishonest, and a breach of Audible's terms of use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My sister has an Iphone and I put the Audible app on it and logged in so she can listen to my books. She's my sister and I trust her implicitly, to the extent that I have some money in her name, but I won't give her any of my passwords because that can breed distrust. The Audible app on the Iphone doesn't allow making purchases.

As for that being dishonest and against Audible's TOS, I called them and asked if that was okay before I did it and I was told it was fine. I value my connection with Amazon. I depend on them and I don't want to do anything to risk it.

At the time that I did this I had hundreds of audiobooks in the account connected to Amazon. Since then i've bought probably a hundred more books with large discounts because I've also bought the Kindle book. I get the audiobook also if it's one I think my sister will enjoy.

Sharing books with family is not dishonest. It's simple decency. Amazon and Audible recognize that to the extent that publishers allow them to.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can share Audible books with other members of an "Amazon Household" only, with the restrictions that that carries with it.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can share Audible books with other members of an "Amazon Household" only, with the restrictions that that carries with it.
I suspect that is not completely true. Here is what Audible says about multiple devices
================================
My family has multiple Audible accounts, can I listen to their audiobooks on my Alexa device?

Absolutely! To switch Amazon/Audible accounts, say "[Wake Word], switch accounts" for Echo, Echo Dot and Echo Show. If using the Amazon Tap, simply press the microphone button and say "Switch accounts."

Note: The account being switched to must also be an Amazon account or an Audible account that uses an email address. If you sign into Audible with a username (e.g. John123) you would need to merge that account to an Amazon account in order to listen to those audiobooks.
========================================

It appears that Audible is fine with the idea of sharing accounts as long as you don't go over the number of device limits and you are good with letting that other person know your email and password. I maintain two different accounts, one for myself and one for my niece and nephew. Two different email addresses, but I'm the one who pays for both of them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Switching accounts is not the same thing as sharing audiobooks between accounts, which is what I was referring to. Obviously you could set up a dozen different accounts, should you so desire, and switch between them. That doesn’t make it OK, though, to give the login credentials for an account to all and sundry.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Right now, your only choice is a family account, lending a book, child account or giving them your password.

I have requested that they have an option where you can lock the app, enabling someone to listen, but not purchase or otherwise have access to your account. For instance, I want to enable a family member to use my Audible account while they are in the hospital or care home. I'm fine with them listening, but I don't want them purchasing anything. Same for the kindle app. I'm all for making it easy for the account owner to make purchases, but I really want the option to restrict the app rather than the device. In the meantime, I have to download, remove DRM and sideload everything and provide a secondary method to play audiobooks.

I've made the same request about the Kindle app several times. Never happens, but I'm hopeful it will one day.

edited to add: I completely forgot - if you give him a Fire with the Parental Controls set, he can listen and download freely without direct access to your accounts. Can't buy anything without a password. This works great with an extra Fire.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-01-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I've been reading the Amazon help files on households and I'm still confused.

Can a child profile access audiobooks?

Can a teen account access shared audiobooks and ebooks?

Will a teen account work on Audible and Kindle apps or only on a Fire tablet?
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's my understanding that a family library you must enable each item individually to show up. You can enable types of content but you need still put the content in the family library.
Only two adults including yourself and child accounts created under you will show up. I don't think Teen accounts work. Any account that shows up under household will have access that much I know.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote