Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #121
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Well double Duh. Thank you.

Actually the stock email app has more options. cc, bcc, attachments.

Carol
Those are there too. Just hit the menu button when composing a email.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #122
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I like that I can make the reading font HUGE using the enhanced email. I also changed it to a light color scheme instead of dark.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Obessed2, do you know that links for apps from 4shared are not legit?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #124
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Those are there too. Just hit the menu button when composing a email.
Well Triple DUH! I could have sworn I checked the menu button. That's usually the first thing I do. Go figure.

I may like the way the stock app lets you add recipients, you just scroll through the list and add. Will have to play around with both apps.

Anyway, I'm glad for all you Android savvy people here. I'm coming from an iPhone OS.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 11-21-2011 at 12:46 PM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #125
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Obessed2, do you know that links for apps from 4shared are not legit?

I do now. Plus, the moderator sent me an e-mail. The Apps I was linking to at 4Shared in the Must Have Apps Thread are free Apps (e.g. Dolphin Browser, Blackboard Mobile, Daily Comic Strip Viewer etc.). I have changed the links to these Apps to websites which meet MobileRead's requirements. Believe me, I'm not out to break any copyright laws. I spent too many years in the military to throw it away over a 99 cent App. Thanks for the heads-up.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157520&page=2
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I do now. Plus, the moderator sent me an e-mail. The Apps I was linking to in the Must Have Apps Thread are free Apps (e.g. Dolphin Browser, Blackboard Mobile, Daily Comic Strip Viewer etc.). I have changed the links to these Apps to websites which meet MobileRead's requirements. Believe me, I'm not out to break any copyright laws. I spent too many years in the military to throw it away over a 99 cent App. Thanks for the heads-up.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=157520&page=2
Just trying to give you a heads up on some of the links.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #127
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just trying to give you a heads up on some of the links.

Thanks. I didn't realize that you can't link to a free App like Dolphin Browser at 4Shared. I fixed about 4 or 5 links which now go to websites that MobileRead approves of.

I have downloaded a few Apps from 4Shared before. FREE Apps only of course to the best of my knowledge, like Dolphin Browser. I check them against the Google Market. The problem you find out with Android is a lot of free Apps are only available on the Google Market. Although it is getting better.

Which brings up some questions. I don't own a cellphone. But if I did and say it was Android, if I download something free from the Android Market and sideload it to my Fire via Dropbox would I be breaking the law? Is it free to distribute?

What makes 4Shared any different from Dropbox or Sugarsync? Norton Internet Security 2012 Site Advisor reports it as OK, just like Dropbox and Sugarsync. I have downloaded free Apps from Sugarsync as well. They are all File Storage and Sharing services. I have a Dropbox account, but I never really tried nor care to share anything. The Terms of Use are similar for all three. All three ban sharing copyright material. What people choose to share is another story. However, I guess no matter what the sharing site is we all have a responsibility to report any violations.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-21-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #128
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
First, check out this thread[snip]

I suggest you purchase WiFi Explorer Pro [snip]

Under the hood the Fire is an Android device so you may have better luck choosing Android when visiting free e-book sites.

You may want to try CoolReader [snip]

I haven't tried FBReader [snip]
Select the "for Android 1.6.2.* devices" hyperlink:
[snip]

You can download Apps for the Kindle Fire outside of the Amazon Store.[snip]

Wow, thank you so much! You have kept me busy for a while, but I can now report that all of the above recommendations are what I was hunting for from themoment I got my Fire. Still waiting on my cable but I have stuff to keep me busy until it arrives.

Sideloading apps I've got working smoothly, and I've been able to connect wirelessly using the Wifi Explorer Pro, have got coolreader and FBreader installed. Right now, I'm struggling with figuring out how to view books that are currently in the Documents folder through FBreader. I can see the books in Books easily with both, but the FBreader doesnt seem able to see or access the Documents folder. That's allright, though, because coolreader can.

Thank you for your help!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #129
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
Quote:
What makes 4Shared any different from Dropbox or Sugarsync? I have downloaded free Apps from Sugarsync (I don't have an account with them). As far as I know they are all File Storage and Sharing services. I have a Dropbox account, but I never really tried nor care to share anything. The Terms of Use look similar for all three. All ban sharing copyright material. However, what people choose to do is another story.
There's little wrong with 4Shared itself, as far as I know.

The crowd which is not very concerned with copyright restrictions will use any service that is relatively easy for them to use. The issue is more their actions than the services they use, although some services appear to cater more to this group or are more popular with this group.

It's not always immediately apparent whether some download is legitimate or not.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #130
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Wow, thank you so much! You have kept me busy for a while, but I can now report that all of the above recommendations are what I was hunting for from themoment I got my Fire. Still waiting on my cable but I have stuff to keep me busy until it arrives.

Sideloading apps I've got working smoothly, and I've been able to connect wirelessly using the Wifi Explorer Pro, have got coolreader and FBreader installed. Right now, I'm struggling with figuring out how to view books that are currently in the Documents folder through FBreader. I can see the books in Books easily with both, but the FBreader doesnt seem able to see or access the Documents folder. That's allright, though, because coolreader can.

Thank you for your help!

Your welcome. I downloaded and took a look at FBReader and I was able to see and open the Documents folder. Open the FBReader Menu --> select Library --> select File Tree --> select Memory card. From here you can access the Documents folder.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #131
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your welcome. I downloaded and took a look at FBReader and I was able to see and open the Documents folder. Open the FBReader Menu --> select Library --> select File Tree --> select Memory card. From here you can access the Documents folder.
Worked like a charm. Never would have thought I would find anything in the "Memory Card" folder since the Fire is not a SD card enabled device... I was hunting for books in the Fbreader - library - file tree - device folder, which basically let me get at some things but mostly was a grisly listing of all system and hidden file structure and file types on the reader.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #132
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merischino View Post
Worked like a charm. Never would have thought I would find anything in the "Memory Card" folder since the Fire is not a SD card enabled device... I was hunting for books in the Fbreader - library - file tree - device folder, which basically let me get at some things but mostly was a grisly listing of all system and hidden file structure and file types on the reader.

Thanks!
Ah but it does have a memory card. 5GB built in one. See this thread here I made to explain it.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #133
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.

The next time you open a book in File Expert you'll only have to touch Choose Applications and it will auto open with the Kindle app.

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.

Note: The Kindle app wont open when you touch a book. it opens in the background where you can't see it but it should have worked.

Now go check out the Books or Documents shelves and you will now see the books you've just side loaded appear!

Credit goes to SCION.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #134
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Ah but it does have a memory card. 5GB built in one. See this thread here I made to explain it.

That's a good write up. You are right, I can't believe how generous Amazon was with internal App storage, especially since most Android Apps are fairly small. Some newer Apps are pushing 10MB to 15MB so I guess Amazon was thinking forward. However, more developers are pushing these larger Apps towards external memory so this could be a curse as well. Only time will tell.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #135
Merischino
Groupie

FYI - File Expert gives DRM violation errors on USB-method sideloaded books

Quote:
How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

[snip]

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.[snip]

I have a bunch of Aristotle philosophy files (all pre-1923, drm-free content) which I converted to .mobi yesterday and sideloaded using the USB/tether method. Interestingly, they will open if navigated to from the Books shelf, but will return a DRM violation error if you attempt to open them in File Expert.