Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
teeceegee
teeceegee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sony Reader software on OSX

Hello,

I've had my Sony PRS-600 for about 3 months now and have generally been very happy with it. However, recently I have had a problem with the Sony Reader software on my MacBook Pro (with Snow Leopard). It starts up and appears in the dock as if it's running but never appears on the screen. I can still use my eReader by downloading titles through Adobe Digital Editions and transferring onto the device using Calibre but the Sony software is completely useless.

I've contacted Sony but they were no help. After getting me to reinstall the software (which did not fix things) they declared that it must be a problem with the computer and suggested that I get in touch with the manufacturer (despite every other piece of software I own working fine).

Has anyone seen this before and have any suggestions?

Cheers
Tony
teeceegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Have you tried deleting the launch agents for the Reader Library and reinstalling the software? See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 13.png
Views:	288
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	44336  
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yeah, it's a Sony bug... since they use a ton of custom UI code, any bug can do really weird things, like move the window off-screen. It's my biggest gripe of the Sony app. They refused to use the standard controls, and then wonder why they have more buggy software.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
teeceegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Have you tried deleting the launch agents for the Reader Library and reinstalling the software? See attached picture.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this now and it made no difference.

Cheers
Tony
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
Make sure you're not running in 64-bit mode (macs nowadays run 32-bit mode by default, which Sony likes, but that will change in the future).

Then check this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63234
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceegee View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this now and it made no difference.

Cheers
Tony

Darn!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
teeceegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
Make sure you're not running in 64-bit mode (macs nowadays run 32-bit mode by default, which Sony likes, but that will change in the future).

Then check this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63234
Thanks for the advice. I am on Snow Leopard but I believe I am running the 32 bit kernel. Given that the software used to work and just stopped I doubt that this is problem.

I did try removing everything I could find that was potentially reader related but I must have missed something given that the fault must be somewhere.

Cheers
Tony
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
teeceegee

Problem resolved

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I've had a chance to read through the posts that people kindly linked to and I found that this one was related to the problems I was having (specifically the information in post #13)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58268

My thanks once again.

Tony
Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceegee View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help.

I've had a chance to read through the posts that people kindly linked to and I found that this one was related to the problems I was having (specifically the information in post #13)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58268

My thanks once again.

Tony
Thanks for the update. Glad it's resolved.