Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
H2O v2 Inconsistent when waking from sleep cover

My H2O v2 arrived today (it's more complex than that when you're rural and couriers don't deliver out this far and distributors won't use postal services and ... but today is when I got my hands on it).

Looks good. It's a nice compromise in screen size that suits me pretty well (so my wife gets to keep the Aura One). Yes that fold-over bit on the right of the OEM cover is the problem I thought it would be, forcing you to fold everything right back around just to keep it out of the way, which means it's less flexible in how you hold onto it (the Aura One cover is better). But that's not why I'm here...

It seems I have a (minor) problem, maybe two.

1) If I leave the sleepcover option (automatically sleep and wake up) turned on (ticked) then the reader behaves erratically on waking:

* sometimes it works properly (in particular if I only leave the cover closed for a few seconds then it generally works okay when I open the cover)

* sometimes (particularly when I've left it closed for a few minutes) it seems to wake up (comfort light comes on) but doesn't actually refresh the screen (the book cover image and sleep message stays in place); tapping on it a couple of times causes a refresh and all is good again

* sometimes (I think this might be when I've left it closed for more than just a few minutes) it seems to be frozen: book cover image and sleep message stay on the screen, the comfort light comes on but I get no reaction to tapping, nor to brief presses of the power button. I have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reset it.

If I turn sleepcover option off (clear the tick) and just use the power button and/or let it timeout then everything seems to work normally and I have no trouble waking it. This is what I'll continue to do rather than return it (which is a PITA from here), but thought I'd share and see if anyone else had seen something like this.

2) I see there is an option to turn the indicator light on/off during charging. This seems irrelevant as I get no indicator light in either setting. I do get the blue light during start up and briefly when going to sleep or waking, but no indicator light when charging. I don't care very much as it seems to be charging fine (% and icon are on the display). I probably wouldn't even have thought about not having the indicator light if there hadn't been an option for it (and I know it works on my Aura One).

Currently running firmware v4.6.10197 which it says is the latest (presumably because v4.8 was pulled). According to s/n this is Kobo 7 hardware (has the "2" in the seventh digit).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Currently running firmware v4.6.10197 which it says is the latest (presumably because v4.8 was pulled). According to s/n this is Kobo 7 hardware (has the "2" in the seventh digit).
If you want to try 4.8.10956 with it's potential font issue, the link in the Kobo Firmware Releases wiki entry for the Mark 7 hardware (scroll down to the bottom of the page to locate the link) still works. Use the Kobo patcher for 4.8.10956 ( Instructions for patching firmware 4.8.10956 ) to change the default fonts to Georgia/Avenir and you should be good to go.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-22-2018 at 11:14 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you want to try 4.8.10956 with it's potential font issue, the link in the Kobo Firmware Releases wiki entry for the Mark 7 hardware (scroll down to the bottom of the page to locate the link) still works. Use the Kobo patcher for 4.8.10956 ( Instructions for patching firmware 4.8.10956 ) to change the default fonts to Georgia/Avenir and you should be good to go.
I don’t use a sleep cover so I can’t address your problems with that but the 4.8 firmware does take care of your problem with the charging light. The blue light stays on until the device is fully charged, plus it shows the percentage of charge in the lower left side of the screen.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info. Very useful.

I did wonder whether it was worth trying v4.8, but I was a little nervous about it - I noticed comments to the effect that switching the Georgia (or whatever) reduces the problems but doesn't eliminate them. I may put off the update until I've got more time to play around, at least the problems I have now are things I know won't get in the way of using it.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I don’t use a sleep cover so I can’t address your problems with that but the 4.8 firmware does take care of your problem with the charging light. The blue light stays on until the device is fully charged, plus it shows the percentage of charge in the lower left side of the screen.

Jim
But it only works when in sleep mode, not when it is switched off.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
But it only works when in sleep mode, not when it is switched off.
I’ll take your word for it. I never switch mine off.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
yes i use a sleep cover on my h2o v2 and use the latest 4.8 firmware and everything seems fine here so i would just give that one a try. I also dont got the font problem that many speak off and maybe its because of my kepub format so who knows.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

I found some time and installed firmware 4.8.11073. Both the problems described in my OP seem to be solved now. Everything seems to be running very smoothly (touch wood).