Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Editing Calibre on ipad

I would like to edit my Calibre library on my ipad. Is that possible? I didn't find and app and I tried to open it through dropbox but it only shows my library and the program won't open. Any suggestions.
Thanks, Roxanne
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
I would like to edit my Calibre library on my ipad. Is that possible? I didn't find and app and I tried to open it through dropbox but it only shows my library and the program won't open. Any suggestions.
Thanks, Roxanne
Use VNC to remote control your Calibre PC
VNC client (the remote Terminal) is cross platform.

The Pro versions of Windows has Remote Desktop connection (HOST).
The controlling Terminal will even run on a lowly W98 machine, Linux has a compatible terminal.
I like VNC because you can watch (configurable) what the remote is doing and even interact. RDC locks the Host screen.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Calibre will not run on an iPad. It runs under Windows, Linux or Mac OSX.

As was mentioned the closest you will get is to run software on the iPad that allows you to remotely connect to the machine running Calibre. I have tried this and it DOES work although I have found it a bit clumsy to use as Calibre is not optimised for a touch interface with limited screen resolution.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I tried to open it through dropbox but it only shows my library and the program won't open.
If your library is on Dropbox, don't go and change anything in there except through using Calibre. If you do, the library folder and the metadata database will get out of sync, and you'll have lots of problems.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
How "simple" is the database structure of calibre?

Would it be possible to point and existing iPad database app at calibre's files and tweak the data within??

I have mine on Dropbox as well along with using Calibre2OPDS to access books via web - works brilliantly but I hate it if I spot errors and want to tweak Calibre data

e.g. Spot that Author if [LN, FN] when all rest are [FN LN]

I would love to jump into Calibre data and just tweak that one record.

I realise there's probably loads goes on in background (Author Sort etc etc) that I may break but I would even be happy running a rebuild on the databases once I got back to the computer if I could edit as I spotted errors :-)

I realise I could dial in from iPad but, as has been pointed out, the interface makes it hard work on the iPad.
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
From what I have read, altering the database is only advisable through calibre. Any other attempts lead to corruption of the database.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
DMee
Zealot

shame but I can see why
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@DMee: calibre's database is (currently) a SQLite DB with lots of n-ary normalized tables to handle multiple items such as tags, authors, etc. I say "currently" because Kovid is changing the database back end.

There are many triggers and other data integrity operations that must be performed when touching certain fields. For example, if you change an author or a title, you must also change the file system structure. Changing almost anything requires placing an entry onto the metadata backup queue. You mentioned title and author sort (in the books table), but there is also the author sort in the authors table to deal with. If you change any item in one of the normalized tables, then you must do duplicate checks and reconstruct the connection table(s) appropriately. The list goes on.

Unless you alter the metadata.opf backup, there is no rebuild of the database available to you.

Also note that there is (currently) no concurrency control. It would be up to you to ensure that calibre and your DB application are not both running at the same time.

My conclusion: you could make this work, but the risk of nuking at least the book you are working on is quite high.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
DMee
Zealot

Yeah I know. Just dreaming ;-)

I'll just have to carry on making myself notes of "things to edit next time open calibre" ;-)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
How "simple" is the database structure of calibre?
Calibre: Simple DB?

do not let the Lite in the DB system name fool you.
This is SQL used with lots of the capabilities.

My DB has 36 Tables (includes some custom columns)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote