Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #526
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamers View Post
Did anyone ever answer this? Apologies if so, I'm new here and trying to navigate the 50+ pages for this thread.

I'm also interested in the Clara. Here is my use case: I take the Kobo Aura (6") with me camping, on my bike, in bed, treat it relatively roughly - for me to use an ereader, philosophically, is to imagine it *almost* like a book.. If i had to be super gentle with it I'd probably switch back to books.

I love the size of the Aura.. but I hate how slow it is, how the lighting on it is kind of crapular. And I would looove waterproofing if possible, but its not a must. Is the Clara HD for me? Is there a different reader of that size/weight (any larger seems to be out of the picture for me, I really do take it backpacking into the woods).

I use Calibre for books and hate the Amazon ecosystem (and frankly, the business practices of the Amazon corporation, but thats another thread) and so staying within the Kobo realm seems to me the best option.

Would welcome any thoughts from you super intelligent people, and again, apologies if my kind of questions have been answered directly, I really did sift through many of the thread pages.
Welcome aboard. I think the Clara sounds like a very good option for you, but do note that it's not waterproof. I'm not sure if the comparison between the One and the Clara was replied to, however you can probably rule out the One for yourself as it's much larger and thus not as compact for your use. The One screen is also flush and therefore would likely be more susceptible to damage than the recessed screen on the Clara.

Regarding Kindles, I believe the only Kindle that is waterproof is the Oasis and it's at a much higher price point and you don't seem keen on Kindles anyway. I'd give the Clara a go, if I was you. It will no doubt be much faster than your current Aura. One thing that has been mentioned is the Clara screen has more of a blue tone so take note should that not be to your liking. There are more than a few videos on youtube that show the Clara screen well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #527
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Or, maybe it was on purpose. Like the description says if you read the information behind "Learn more" in the front light menu, blue light is actually good for you(r biological clock) during the day.
I thought of that after my post.

Plus, I also remember when the Glo came out that there was a bit of discussion on the colour of it and the other front-lit readers. Some people wanted the "cooler" blue and others the "warmer" yellowish colour. The Clara HD is letting the user choose.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 AM   #528
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
Useful photos. Thanks for posting.

It's disappointing to see that some important aspects of screen quality are not improving with eInk. The Clara HD looks to have a noticeably darker background than the Glo. Presumably due to the capacitive layer. .
If you look more carefully at the picture you'll see that the paper on the right is brightly lit up while the paper on the left is not. That indicates that there is a light source to the right which is why the Clara HD looks darker-- it is simply farther from the light.

And the other photo was using the front lights.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #529
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Did anyone ever answer this? Apologies if so, I'm new here and trying to navigate the 50+ pages for this thread.

I'm also interested in the Clara. Here is my use case: I take the Kobo Aura (6") with me camping, on my bike, in bed, treat it relatively roughly - for me to use an ereader, philosophically, is to imagine it *almost* like a book.. If i had to be super gentle with it I'd probably switch back to books.

I love the size of the Aura.. but I hate how slow it is, how the lighting on it is kind of crapular. And I would looove waterproofing if possible, but its not a must. Is the Clara HD for me? Is there a different reader of that size/weight (any larger seems to be out of the picture for me, I really do take it backpacking into the woods).

I use Calibre for books and hate the Amazon ecosystem (and frankly, the business practices of the Amazon corporation, but thats another thread) and so staying within the Kobo realm seems to me the best option.

Would welcome any thoughts from you super intelligent people, and again, apologies if my kind of questions have been answered directly, I really did sift through many of the thread pages.

Another thing to add that the other replies to your post haven't mentioned, is that the Clara HD does have a capacitive screen. This means that were you to go backpacking in cooler weather with gloves on, you won't be able to turn pages (unless you take your gloves off or have gloves with the special conductive fingertips).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #530
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Another thing to add that the other replies to your post haven't mentioned, is that the Clara HD does have a capacitive screen. This means that were you to go backpacking in cooler weather with gloves on, you won't be able to turn pages (unless you take your gloves off or have gloves with the special conductive fingertips).
Or use your nose.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #531
Dibbler
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One and Clara 2E
^^^ I must lack imagination as I tend to have one or two Styluses handy
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #532
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Some side-by-side photos with other Kobos at https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...k/1126964.html but... uneven lighting again. As you can see from the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	164448

Last edited by issybird; 06-13-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #533
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
Some side-by-side photos with other Kobos at https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...k/1126964.html but... uneven lighting again. As you can see from the background.
Would you like me to take a picture of the three with better lighting conditions?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #534
hamers
hamers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (6", 4GB)
Thanks all for your helpful responses! Is there any gossip about a 6" Kobo waterproofer coming out any time soon that I should hold out for?
hamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #535
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Would you like me to take a picture of the three with better lighting conditions?
That would be very useful to see, thanks. Or even better... do one side-by-side picture with the Clara on the left AND another with the Clara on the right so we can compensate for any lighting unevenness.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #536
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@hamers: There's no gossip about future models, but Kobo tends to have only one model at each screen size, so I'd wager that the Kobo Clara HD is THE six-inch Kobo for the next year at least, and probably two years.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #537
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks all for your helpful responses! Is there any gossip about a 6" Kobo waterproofer coming out any time soon that I should hold out for?
I believe the Clara is larger than the original Aura, though not sure how much larger. Reviews have mentioned it is very compact compared to other e-readers currently on the market.

It would be nice to see a photo of a Clara and an Aura side by side.

I know you don't want something larger, but you might consider the H2O. It is larger than the Aura or Clara, but then it is waterproof.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #538
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I believe the Clara is larger than the original Aura, though not sure how much larger. Reviews have mentioned it is very compact compared to other e-readers currently on the market.

I know you don't want something larger, but you might consider the H2O. It is larger than the Aura or Clara, but then it is waterproof.
original Aura Size 150 x 114 x 8.1 mm weight 174 g

Clara HD Size 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm weight 166 g

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #539
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Something like this? Only size, not light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Length.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	164450 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wide.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	164451Click image for larger version

Name:	Both.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	164452

One side to side and, in the others, in the bottom which is wider (Aura) or longer (Clara).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 06-13-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #540
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Something like this? Only size, not light.

Attachment 164450 Attachment 164451Attachment 164452

One side to side and, in the others, in the bottom which is wider (Aura) or long (Clara).
Hey, thanks for that. The 'chin' of the Clara makes it look much bigger than it actually is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote