Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
edlu
Enthusiast
edlu began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Unhappy highlighting not accurate in KA1 - epub books

Hi
I have kobo aura one with nightly build installed koreader-kobo-arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-v2015.11-1457-g7feea40.zip.

The highlighting feature is awesome in epub files, but not accurate. It is very hard to select words, especially at the end of the page. If I select from up to the bottom of the page - it will not show at all the option to hightlight.
What I usually do, it select from the bottom of the page go up, then it will show highlight option (of course I have to hide status bar, cause selecting from the bottom it triggers status bar).
Sometime, some words even though they are inside the selected paragraph are not grayed out for highlighting though when I check in exported file they are included.
However, I am still using Koreader, way better than nickel, even with the pain of highlighting.
Hope someone is working on this feature.

Last edited by edlu; 02-18-2018 at 11:24 PM.
edlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
A potential workaround is to enable scroll mode so you can drag what you want to highlight into view.

I don't think I've seen a case of not all words being highlighted though. Is the EPUB freely available by any chance? And even if it's not, could you describe the exact steps you used to trigger the problem?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #3
edlu
Enthusiast

Hello Frenzie,

Sorry for my late reply.

See images.

1st set of pictures, even though the last word "matter" is shown as not highlighted, actually it is - cause when I tapped into highlighted area it shows it is included.

2nd set of pictures - even though the last word "students" appears to be highlighted, actually it is not - see the 4th picture.

So highlighting needs some work.

https://ibb.co/dZKZk7
https://ibb.co/eMPdCn
https://ibb.co/m5xbyS
https://ibb.co/kUSyCn
Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never seen anything like that and I'm afraid I can't reproduce the problem to give someone a better handle on it.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
@frenzie : I can reproduce it on my KA1, actually I experience it myself when using the device but put it in a corner of my brain for later because of the sleeping issue.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard

Probably fixed regardless: https://github.com/koreader/crengine/pull/107 :P
Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

yup
Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
edlu
Enthusiast

Thanks Frenzie.
Not sure if it happens only to me, but everytime I update to another nightly version, the dictionary gets broken - the words are not found anymore.
So what I do, Akbar has provided a solution - replacing sdcv file. Is there anyway to implement this new sdcv file for nightly versions? or is is just me having this issue.

Yes, the easiest way is to use the sdcv file below to replace the one inside koreader folder:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...x-gnuabihf.zip
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

It's not quite clear to me what the difference is between my computers and the nightly build and why it's not working on newer firmware, or what the best way to resolve it is. I could make it statically linked or do some chroot stuff, see here, but neither appeal to me much.

Personally I wouldn't update too much if it's working fine. That's really only problematic with Nickel which defaults to auto-updates.

Last edited by Frenzie; 03-09-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
cramoisi
Librarian

@edlu : if you don't use nickel, you could downgrade to 4.4.9298 (or to 4.5.9587): the issue doesn't happen on these firmware.

But it's tedious and you could write a little sh script to launch with ksm after upgrade to replace the updated file by the custom sdcv

Last edited by cramoisi; 03-09-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
edlu
Enthusiast

Thanks Frenzie adn cramoisi, I will continue to replace sdcv file manually. No big deal. I appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
edlu
Enthusiast

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Probably fixed regardless: https://github.com/koreader/crengine/pull/107 :P
I still get the same issue, which I find painful, when highlighting. I am using KA1 nightly - ver. 11-1654-gc666c9f1_2018_04-12

Same as in the pics posted above.
two main pet peeves:
1. If I highlight a paragraph, which happens to have the last line in the page - the pop up screen to highlight does not show. What I do, is then I drag highlighting from the bottom line and up, and then it will show.

2. If I ever highlight a line at the end of a paragraph and include last punctuation (period, or question mark or any punctuation), then it automatically selects the first word in the following paragraph, even if that word is on the other page. What I do to avoid, is to not select EVER the last punctuation, otherwise highlighting comes with a word that I don't need.

Hope someone can fix this.