Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (DRM-free) Europa [Danish Academic History & Development Essay w/Audiobook]

Europa (Europe) by Jørgen Møller (profile), a Professor in the Department of Political Science at Aarhus University, is the 43rd in the Tænkepauser (Reflections) series of Danish-language 60-page layperson-accessible introductory essays on various academic topics, this installment a history-examining one about how despite its reputation for superstition and lack of bathing, a number of important developments during the Middle Ages lay the groundwork for the current modern state of democracy and freedom and relative lack of corrupt dictatorship in (presumably Western) Europe, without which it would probably all just be another Russian town (I liked that bit of the blurb; no idea if it's seriously for serious in the actual essay), free for a limited time courtesy of Aarhus University Press in Denmark.

This is offered as part of their monthly program which generously gives away the latest in the series and its accompanying audiobook reading for just one week after publication.

Currently free, just through November 14th directly @ the university's webcatalogue page (DRM-free ePub & PDF available worldwide; for the MP3 audiobook, scroll down to where it says "Om bogen" and click the "Europa som lydbog" link)

Beskrivelse på dansk
Kold, mørk og beskidt, præget af overtro og brutalitet. Faktisk lige til historiens mødding. Sådan tænker vi tit på middelalderen. Men den lagde ifølge Jørgen Møller, professor i statskundskab ved Aarhus Universitet, brostenene til nutidens Europa. For uden periodens genstridige adelsmænd, magtbegærlige paver og griske købmænd ville demokratier, retsstater og frie markedsøkonomier aldrig have set dagens lys i Europa. Og Europa ville ikke være en mirakuløs undtagelse fra historiens regel om korruption, elendighed og diktatur. Men nok bare en by i Rusland.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Europa (Europe) by Jørgen Møller (profile), a Professor in the Department of Political Science at Aarhus University, is the 43rd in the Tænkepauser (Reflections) series of Danish-language 60-page layperson-accessible introductory essays on various academic topics, this installment a history-examining one about how despite its reputation for superstition and lack of bathing, a number of important developments during the Middle Ages lay the groundwork for the current modern state of democracy and freedom and relative lack of corrupt dictatorship in (presumably Western) Europe, without which it would probably all just be another Russian town (I liked that bit of the blurb; no idea if it's seriously for serious in the actual essay), free for a limited time courtesy of Aarhus University Press in Denmark.

This is offered as part of their monthly program which generously gives away the latest in the series and its accompanying audiobook reading for just one week after publication.

Currently free, just through November 14th directly @ the university's webcatalogue page (DRM-free ePub & PDF available worldwide; for the MP3 audiobook, scroll down to where it says "Om bogen" and click the "Europa som lydbog" link)

Beskrivelse på dansk
Kold, mørk og beskidt, præget af overtro og brutalitet. Faktisk lige til historiens mødding. Sådan tænker vi tit på middelalderen. Men den lagde ifølge Jørgen Møller, professor i statskundskab ved Aarhus Universitet, brostenene til nutidens Europa. For uden periodens genstridige adelsmænd, magtbegærlige paver og griske købmænd ville demokratier, retsstater og frie markedsøkonomier aldrig have set dagens lys i Europa. Og Europa ville ikke være en mirakuløs undtagelse fra historiens regel om korruption, elendighed og diktatur. Men nok bare en by i Rusland.
Wish that I could read Danish.

Maybe it will come out in an English version, like a book that you posted just a few days ago just did.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic ebook, danish author ebook, danish language ebook, expired freebie