Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #31
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
No, and the people at bookeen won't give a release date for fear of being wrong again.
They can frickin keep their firmware. It's cosmetic changes they made to the firmware, that's what it is. We've been waiting 9 months for folders and working delete button? Ridiculous. At this point I totally lost interest in the new firmware, so I don't give a diddly squat about the release date. I'm done with B.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Folders seemed to be the #1 priority for many people, so I'm sure that this release will make many people very happy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #33
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Folders seemed to be the #1 priority for many people, so I'm sure that this release will make many people very happy.
I don't argue about that. Folders are definitely a nice feature (in this aspect they even beat Kindle), my statement was purely personal. I don't keep many books on my cybook so folders are not a necessity for me. But I was hoping I finally won't have to do the layout on every single book I read on cybook. Customizable margins could easily solve that. I guess I was hoping in vain.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #34
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Chlorine seems to have done quite a bit of testing (many thanks to her for answering as she did) --I didn't have any time even to turn on my machine since yesterday... and won't have for the next few days (news on the 1500 books in my CyBook will be at the soonest next sunday I think) --I'll check on the French forum if any of the other "lucky ones" (i.e. updated) have shared their experiences, and let you know if they did.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #35
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I don't argue about that. Folders are definitely a nice feature (in this aspect they even beat Kindle), my statement was purely personal. I don't keep many books on my cybook so folders are not a necessity for me. But I was hoping I finally won't have to do the layout on every single book I read on cybook. Customizable margins could easily solve that. I guess I was hoping in vain.
No one knows that as of today.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I'm not sure how Project Gutenberg handles pictures.
I have here an html book that starts with a paragraph containing a small picture of the cover of the book. If I place the picture in the same folder as the book on my cybook, the picture is not shown.

Project Gutenberg puts all illustrations/pictures in a separate folder and then the HTML calls for the illustration from that folder as part of the HTML code. Since folders are now part of the firmware, the question is will their HTML parser actual do the HTML call to the other folder? It's done that way so their isn't a bunch of illustrations all over the folder with the book. The old HTML parser couldn't do it because there were no folders to call to.

I'd test myself, but the firmware is not yet available for download....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The old HTML parser couldn't do it because there were no folders to call to.
No, you've always been able to create folders on the Gen3; all that happened before was that the Library application "flattened out" the view of them and put all the contents at the same level. I don't think that has anything to do with the lack of ability to display pictures in an HTML file - it's just that that the HTML parser is extremely basic and ignores all links, internal and external. Hence no picture support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #38
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I agree with HarryT, I think it's (at least) a problem with the html rendering.
I tested it with a document that called for a picture that was in the same folder as the html file and it did not work. If the html doesn't display a picture that's in the same folder, I don't see how it could display one that's in a different folder, so I'm pretty sure picture viewing will not work on PG's books.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you've always been able to create folders on the Gen3; all that happened before was that the Library application "flattened out" the view of them and put all the contents at the same level. I don't think that has anything to do with the lack of ability to display pictures in an HTML file - it's just that that the HTML parser is extremely basic and ignores all links, internal and external. Hence no picture support.
If that's the case, that means no repairs to the HTML parser. As far as I'm concerned, if that is the case, then the Cybook is scrap as far as I'm concerned. But I'll have to verify it first.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #40
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
I didn't have any time even to turn on my machine since yesterday... and won't have for the next few days (news on the 1500 books in my CyBook will be at the soonest next sunday I think)
Sorry to hear you have so much work, I hope you'll be over it in not too long.
On my side I must admit I was glad to have some time today to play with the new software and think of some nice folder structure to put my books in! (and happy to report here if people are interested
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #41
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
if that is the case, then the Cybook is scrap as far as I'm concerned.
There are about to be several EB-600 based devices released using standard Netronix firmware (Astak Mentor Lite, COOL-ER Classic and Elonex). It isn't yet clear if these will have folder support, but they will certainly have different DRM-free viewers than the Cybook in addition to mobile Adobe Digital Editions. Is it likely that firmware is interchangeable between EB-600's, as it is on Hanlin V3's for example? Early Gen3's were EB-100's, so this won't be an option for everyone. I'm sure that putting Bookeen firmware on a generic EB-600 would be a copyright violation, and I guess the same would be the case for generic Netronix software on a Gen3. The same is in principle the case with the Hanlin V3, but in that case no one seems bothered (copyright does not inherently restrict access, this is entirely up to the copyright holder).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #42
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Sorry to hear you have so much work, I hope you'll be over it in not too long.
Next Saturday *fingers crossed*
Quote:
On my side I must admit I was glad to have some time today to play with the new software and think of some nice folder structure to put my books in! (and happy to report here if people are interested
Ooooh yesss! By all means! Merci d'avance!
(et il faut qu'on se parle de ces scripts magiques )
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #43
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Working links in pdfs?
On the opus with epub version, yes. Not sure about gen 3, i don't have any a pdf to test with.

Quote:
Page numbers?
Yes for Epub. No for mobi.

Quote:
Working Delete button?
Yes You can't whine about that anymore ah !

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-05-2009 at 12:44 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #44
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Also:
- the delete button works;
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #45
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
How about lookup in mobi? Any changes?

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote