Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
oplatner
oplatner began at the beginning.

Device: Asus zenpad
Listening to music while reading ? - Help me find an E-reader

Hey,

My need is pretty simple but it seems that in the e-reader world I'm having a hard time finding the right device for me.

I love listing to music while reading, I currently do that with my Asus ZenPad C 7, a simple 7' Android-based tablet, while using Google play for music and Ereader Prestigio for reading. I feel like I want to make the move towards a dedicated e-reader, but can't find one that I actually do both on.

I can do with a 6''-7'' reader that I can upload mp3/flac audio files to and download a simple audio player app for msuic.

Anyone can help find a device that can do both properly?

Last edited by oplatner; 10-14-2017 at 01:55 AM.
oplatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try this group https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=220 The Onyx eBook readers run Android OS so you can likely get this to work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Allow me to point out that:

6' = 6 feet
6" = 6 inches

Confusing the two can lead to undesirable consequences!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I'm currently studying the pocketbook devices, and, if I understand correctly, some of them can play mp3. Don't take my word on it though as I'm really not familiar with them!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Pocketbook devices with audio functions do play MP3s. I have a Touch HD and use the audio feature for TTS. Unfortunately, there is some static noise, so I wouldn't use it for music. But you could try other PB models like the Aqua 2.

Gesendet von meinem Aquaris U Plus mit Tapatalk
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplatner View Post
Hey,

My need is pretty simple but it seems that in the e-reader world I'm having a hard time finding the right device for me.

I love listing to music while reading, I currently do that with my Asus ZenPad C 7, a simple 7' Android-based tablet, while using Google play for music and Ereader Prestigio for reading. I feel like I want to make the move towards a dedicated e-reader, but can't find one that I actually do both on.

I can do with a 6''-7'' reader that I can upload mp3/flac audio files to and download a simple audio player app for msuic.

Anyone can help find a device that can do both properly?
If you don't mind not having a built in light, a kindle touch is a great choice. It supports audible books plus mp3. It has built in speakers and an audio jack. Here is a link to it on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-.../dp/B005890G8Y

Since amazon doesn't make it anymore you have to buy it used either on amazon or ebay.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #7
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
I use my Nook Simple Touch and my smartphone or my Sansa Clip
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
I use my Nook Simple Touch and my smartphone or my Sansa Clip
To be honest, I think separating the two functions is by far the best way to go. By insisting on a device on which you can both read and play music, the OP is ruling out dedicated readers, which are in many ways far better (for reading) than more general-purpose devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You should steer away from FLAC files regarding an ebook reader, because of these three reasons:

1) Limited internal memory.
2) Size of FLAC files
3) Tiny little speaker(s) in an ebook reader, although some earbuds would help.

Rather, get a DAP and a 256-gig card and keep the ebook for reading/listening to audio ebooks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote