Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
lrbuckle
lrbuckle began at the beginning.

Device: Sont PRS-T3
Calibre issues with new ereader

I just got the new Sony T3 and tried to put my calibre library on it. It went on fine and my bookshelf lists all the 'series' I had made to organise my books. However half of the books aren't in there but in the default collection as the series info isn't being transferred from Calibre to the reader. Help please?
lrbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The SONY ereaders have been discontinued and the calibre developer that worte the driver for the T-x line is also no longer active, so you are unlikely to get much help.

Still, run calibre in debug mode and post the log, if it contains anything obvious, I might be able to help. Right click the preferences button to run calibre in debug mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
lrbuckle

debug log

Here is what it came up with

calibre Debug log
calibre 2.3 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: FanFictionDownLoader
Starting up...
FFDLEBUG:calibre_plugins.fanfictiondownloader_pl ugin.ffdl_plugin(158):Plugin FanFictionDownLoader macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\Lisa\AppData\Roaming\calibre\pl ugins\fanfictiondownloader_macmenuhack.txt
Started up in 6.15 seconds with 980 books

Sony has discontinued? Yet I only just bought mine and they are the best of the lot!
Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
lrbuckle

Is there a good alternative to Calibre that does the same thing and would work for the Sony?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to also send some actual books to the device in debug mode.
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbuckle View Post
Sony has discontinued? Yet I only just bought mine and they are the best of the lot!
Google SONY discontinued reader
Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to learn how to create a correct thread title. If you had, people who use Calibre and have a T3 would have responded.

The thread title should have mentioned the T3 as in "Calibre issues with Sony Reader PRS-T3".
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I own a T3 but I don't let calibre do anything with it. I load my books via Windows Explorer, then let the eReader do its job.

My decades long experience with all kind of devices with storage is that it's always, always, always better to let them organize their content. They know better. I know cases where people tried to copy/delete SAT-recordings via computers, in the end they managed to delete the logical pointer to the data, which remained on HDD without being accesible - the only way to recover the lost space was a re-format ha ha ha. Minidisc owners (NetMD) can join this choir.

If you have such a huge library that you cannot manage yourself, do you think you'll have to time to actually read it?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 AM   #9
SJJ
SJJ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TH-55
I have a new T3, Calibre works fine. the series transfer as collections in the correct order. I do delete books manually from windows explorer. There is a setting for series / collections management that has 3 values, none, medium and aggressive. The information was in the online help.
SJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a look on this (last half), too.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
lrbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I own a T3 but I don't let calibre do anything with it. I load my books via Windows Explorer, then let the eReader do its job.

My decades long experience with all kind of devices with storage is that it's always, always, always better to let them organize their content. They know better. I know cases where people tried to copy/delete SAT-recordings via computers, in the end they managed to delete the logical pointer to the data, which remained on HDD without being accesible - the only way to recover the lost space was a re-format ha ha ha. Minidisc owners (NetMD) can join this choir.

If you have such a huge library that you cannot manage yourself, do you think you'll have to time to actually read it?
What do you mean you load your books via Windows Explorer? And the reader does nothing to sort the books unless you want them just listed by author, title or add date. I need them split up into various groups like writing, history, Dark Hunter, etc....I have about 400 books on this thing so they need logical sorting so I can easily find the ones I want. Trying to do it with the software that comes with the Sony is a pain, it is slow and awkward.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
What do you mean you load your books via Windows Explorer? And the reader does nothing to sort the books unless you want them just listed by author, title or add date. I need them split up into various groups like writing, history, Dark Hunter, etc....I have about 400 books on this thing so they need logical sorting so I can easily find the ones I want. Trying to do it with the software that comes with the Sony is a pain, it is slow and awkward.
I simply COPY/PASTE my books to my Sony.
And no, Sony repaginates them, add a thumbnail in its database, and probably other things I am not aware (and do not care).

The point is that I read very fast (I need probably 1-2 hours per book, in any of EN, DE, FR, except for philosophy and deep history) and still not be able to read 400 books in one holiday. I don't care about sorting and classifying on my eReader, these are done on my computer (or external storage), where actually the books I have reside. Whenever I go in holiday, I fire up my storage, pick up the books I need, copy them to any or both eReaders and off I go.

Why people like to complicate their life?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 AM   #13
lrbuckle

I don't know how but the issue seems to have fixed itself or something after I deleted everything and then put it back on the reader. Even if 191 of the books are for some reason still showing up in the default collection as well as the proper one.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
I don't know how but the issue seems to have fixed itself or something after I deleted everything and then put it back on the reader. Even if 191 of the books are for some reason still showing up in the default collection as well as the proper one.
I have a T3 and make everything with it over calibre. I had never a problem.

However, it is possible that SONY just can't handle all of your collections when you have too many. The collections are made from your tags AND your series column, that can be a long list. If you want to change that, connect your device and select the configoration (little arrow at the side of the device button). There you can change the columns from which Sony does that.

Like for example only the tags column or in my case I choose tags and a customn column called series_sony. That makes the collections much shorter.

Mini
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
danwatto
danwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litterdanwatto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS T-3, Kobo H2O
Hi,

I use T3 with Calibre, it works great.

It creates collections based on my custom #Genre column, as well as Series, and my custom #Series2 column. You can also do based on Author.

I use a metadata plugboard to add the series number into the title so that they sort in order, you have to put the plugboard against devicedb.

Never had a problem, love my Sony!

What problem are you having specifically?
danwatto is offline   Reply With Quote