Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
attribute "span" not

I've made an ePub book with Sigil, and ePubValidator (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) gives this error:

ERROR: Origino de specioj.epub/OEBPS/Text/content022.xhtml(94): attribute "span" not allowed at this point

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name? I thought it might be the 94th line, but the 94th line from Sigils point of view is empty. 94th character in the file doesn't make sence either ...
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Without the epub file in question, helping you is impossible.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
I've made an ePub book with Sigil, and ePubValidator (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) gives this error:

ERROR: Origino de specioj.epub/OEBPS/Text/content022.xhtml(94): attribute "span" not allowed at this point

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name? I thought it might be the 94th line, but the 94th line from Sigils point of view is empty. 94th character in the file doesn't make sence either ...
FWIW, I have received a similar error once and it was because < span > is an inline element by default and I had used a < span > tag that was NOT inside a block level tag. It was only inside the < body > tag.

Once I placed it within a block level tag (like a <p > < /p > tag set) that error message went away for me.

But the error messages from epubcheck are so vague I have no idea if you are having the same issue or not.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, I have received a similar error once and it was because < span > is an inline element by default and I had used a < span > tag that was NOT inside a block level tag. It was only inside the < body > tag.
Thanks for trying, Kevin, but no, I've just checked: every < span > element is within a <p > element ...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Without the epub file in question, helping you is impossible.
Thanks for the suggestion, Valloric, but publishing it here could give problems with copyright. Can I send it somehow privately?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I cannot find anything wrong. Does someone know how to interpret the number (94) behind the page name?
It's the 94th line. But not the 94th line in Sigil, but the 94th line in the source file content022.xhtml, where lines are delimited by CR/LF or CR or LF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Valloric, but publishing it here could give problems with copyright. Can I send it somehow privately?
Create an issue on the tracker and use the "Private" label. Only you and I will be able to see it. More details on this wiki page.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's the 94th line. But not the 94th line in Sigil, but the 94th line in the source file content022.xhtml, where lines are delimited by CR/LF or CR or LF.
Thanks. I thought both were the same, but there is indeed a slight difference in counting. The 94th line in the source is the 103rd line in Sigil.

But the bad news is, that the 94th line is a blank line between two paragraphs ...

So a start supposing that EPUBValidator is getting crazy ...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Often an error turns up because of a lack of something. This results in a display like you are seeing. Perhaps there should have been a </span> before the point in the file or it is not well nested.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
paulpeer
Zealot

I found it!!! But the problem was not in line 94, but several paragraphs before that ... Thanks to all who tried thinking with me!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I found it!!! But the problem was not in line 94, but several paragraphs before that ... Thanks to all who tried thinking with me!
Could you tell us please what the problem was that you found?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could you tell us please what the problem was that you found?

Regards, Alex
Yes, all my paragraphs have the basic form < p > ... </ p> but one of them had this structure: < p span="" >

I haven't the slightest idea how it came there, and why I managed not to see it ...

Today I had a similar problem. I imported an HTML file in Sigil. This file had many < h1 > chapters. After opening it in Sigil I saw that every < h1 > had been changed to < h1 class="" >. This empty class gave the same error message as the strange span="" yesterday.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Today I had a similar problem. I imported an HTML file in Sigil. This file had many < h1 > chapters. After opening it in Sigil I saw that every < h1 > had been changed to < h1 class="" >. This empty class gave the same error message as the strange span="" yesterday.
That's strange. Could you make a small test case that reproduces the problem and then report it on the tracker?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
That's strange. Could you make a small test case that reproduces the problem and then report it on the tracker?
Done!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Done!
And fixed, too!

Tags
epub, epubvalidator, sigil