Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Sharing my Calibre books

All my books are now in Calibre
I have a Kobo Touch reader. My friend has a Sony Reader (but not Calibre)

How do I give her a few ebooks (or the whole Calibre library if she wants) to work on her Sony reader?

If I give her them all, for her to sort out which she wants, will they work on her Sony reader without Calibre?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. save to disc ( put books on memory stick)
2. post memory stick to lucky recipient
job done!

OR
save to disc ( create a folder)
(optionally)zip that folder
email to lucky recipient
she does not need calibre, but it is a useful tool for add books to reader - if she uses calibre then she needs to add books ( from memory stick or from saved emailed folder) then connect device & use send to device.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
1. save to disc ( put books on memory stick)
2. post memory stick to lucky recipient
job done!

OR
save to disc ( create a folder)
(optionally)zip that folder
email to lucky recipient
she does not need calibre, but it is a useful tool for add books to reader - if she uses calibre then she needs to add books ( from memory stick or from saved emailed folder) then connect device & use send to device.
Thanks for that.
Question, what if my friend wants just half my Calibre library? What then?
Also do I just put the authors whole folders from Calbre onto the memory stick?
Not the whole folder with metadata?
Just wondered what her Sony reader program on pc will recognise?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Thanks for that.
Question, what if my friend wants just half my Calibre library? What then?
Just put the required half on the stick (although personally, I'd give your friend the whole thing and then they can pick out what they want).

Quote:
Also do I just put the authors whole folders from Calbre onto the memory stick?
Not the whole folder with metadata?
Whole thing, AFAIK - that's what appears on my T1 when I load the books on via Calibre. You obviously know it's not the original folder, obviously - it's the one that Calibre creates when you load on the book.

Quote:
Just wondered what her Sony reader program on pc will recognise?
Seems to work just like any other ereader with Calibre - at any rate, the behaviour described is what my T1 seems to do.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
OK, I'll be the grumpy forum veteran today...

It's lovely that you're sharing your books with your friend, and if they're not copyrighted works please enjoy.

If they are copyrighted books, possibly purchased, well, they really shouldn't be shared...

Graham
Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
If they are copyrighted books, possibly purchased, well, they really shouldn't be shared...

Graham
Precisely. "Sharing" copyrighted books with your friends is normally called "piracy".
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
All my books are now in Calibre
I have a Kobo Touch reader. My friend has a Sony Reader (but not Calibre)

How do I give her a few ebooks (or the whole Calibre library if she wants) to work on her Sony reader?

If I give her them all, for her to sort out which she wants, will they work on her Sony reader without Calibre?
I would email a list of all the share-able books I had and tell her to put an x or whatever way for her to indicate the ones she wants.

You can then e-mail all of them to her via calibre. (She'll receive each as a separate e-mail message with the book attached).

I would also encourage her to install Calibre on her computer if she can. It is a very useful tool as those of us who know Calibre are aware.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely. "Sharing" copyrighted books with your friends is normally called "piracy".
oh come on - you suggest that if I buy a paperback, finish reading it , then give or loan it to a relative... I could end up in court?? - no way.

so why apply a higher standard to an ebook, esp if its one that they could legally & for free borrow from a library anyway, if the whole DRM/ ADE alphabet soup rigmarole was not to off-putting.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh come on - you suggest that if I buy a paperback, finish reading it , then give or loan it to a relative... I could end up in court?? - no way.

so why apply a higher standard to an ebook, esp if its one that they could legally & for free borrow from a library anyway, if the whole DRM/ ADE alphabet soup rigmarole was not to off-putting.
Because there's a fundamental difference. If you lend a book to a friend, there is only one physical copy. When you "lend" a friend an ebook you are creating additional copies: both you and your friend now have a copy of the book. By creating extra copies of it, you've entered the realm of copyright law.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
OK, I'll be the grumpy forum veteran today...

It's lovely that you're sharing your books with your friend, and if they're not copyrighted works please enjoy.

Graham
Mistake ---- I replied to wrong persons thread - so deleted my reply - sorry book64 lol

Last edited by polli; 02-10-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: replied to wrong persons thread sorry lol
Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
They are not copyrighted books
Just to clarify:
You can share copyrighted books If you have permission.
Baen Free Library books ARE copyright. You can share them FOR FREE ONLY. The Author donated these books, but still retains Copyright.

Of coarse, it is better to error on the Not Share side if there is any doubt
Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By creating extra copies of it, you've entered the realm of copyright law.
Every time calibre adds a book to its library, it creates a copy. & when it does send to device it creates yet another copy. By your logic, that's 2 crimes committed.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Every time calibre adds a book to its library, it creates a copy. & when it does send to device it creates yet another copy. By your logic, that's 2 crimes committed.
No, it's not "my logic", it's the law. The key is what you are authorised to do. Making multiple copies of an ebook for your own use is fine; making copies and giving them to someone else is not.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
@ Harry called "piracy". "The practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea"
Don't go calling a duck an apple, the Recording industry does enough of that as it is.
It's called Copyright Infringement as you know.

As there are at present court cases deciding if its legal to sell your second hand mp3 files, I bet E-books will be next.
The whole thing need a bit of a shake up, as this transition from physical media to digital data is causing all sorts of problems.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
@ Harry called "piracy". "The practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea"
Don't go calling a duck an apple, the Recording industry does enough of that as it is.
It's called Copyright Infringement as you know.
Given that the term "piracy" has been used to refer to the unauthorised copying of books for over 400 years, and the 1886 International Berne Copyright Convention uses that very term (see Article 12 of the Convention) I shall continue to use the term myself.
Closed Thread