Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
theFirebottle
theFirebottle began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Softrooted nook not charging fully?

I just got my nook last week and softrooted it over the weekend. Before I softrooted it, I wasn't getting great (or even very good) battery life, but then again I hadn't learnt to put it in airplane mode, and I was using it pretty much all day for both class reading and other while also activating the touchscreen unnecessarily.

Today I ran it down until it shut itself off and plugged it in to USB, but after almost seven hours the orange light is still on and the most it gets to is 94% charge.

Three questions:
1) Are there any known or rumored issues about charging after softroot?
2) I know that lithium batteries have interlocks that automagically shut off charging when the battery is at capacity. Are these hardware interlocks or firmware interlocks? i.e. can they be affected by firmware issues?
3) Do PDF page turns burn more battery charge than epub?

Update about charging: I was able to charge it fully on AC and the light did go off in a reasonable amount of time. Have people been able to figure out of USB charging consistently takes longer than AC charging? I notice the manual gives a figure for AC charging (3.5 hours) but not for USB.

Last edited by theFirebottle; 03-16-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added info
theFirebottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
I can only answer the last one. The page turns for pdf do not take any more battery life, however the initial setup of the document will take more processing power to parse.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFirebottle View Post
I just got my nook last week and softrooted it over the weekend. Before I softrooted it, I wasn't getting great (or even very good) battery life, but then again I hadn't learnt to put it in airplane mode, and I was using it pretty much all day for both class reading and other while also activating the touchscreen unnecessarily.

Today I ran it down until it shut itself off and plugged it in to USB, but after almost seven hours the orange light is still on and the most it gets to is 94% charge.

Three questions:
1) Are there any known or rumored issues about charging after softroot?
2) I know that lithium batteries have interlocks that automagically shut off charging when the battery is at capacity. Are these hardware interlocks or firmware interlocks? i.e. can they be affected by firmware issues?
3) Do PDF page turns burn more battery charge than epub?
Same here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=54
I don't have any problems though, battery drains less than in most other readers.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi - I noticed that with the softroot, and on airplane mode, it seems to continues to drain quite quickly even on standby. Mine actually drained from 80% to 6% over about 7 hours, on airplane mode and in sleep mode. This morning it went from about 98% to about 80% and doing nothing. So I have actually just reversed the soft root (regretfully) bec I would like to rule out what's causing battery drain. Will observe after today..
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Schmots
Connoisseur

I just softrooted last night. I will keep an eye on wifi.. will wifi lock also keep the wifi off? If I turn off the wifi and then wifi lock will that help?
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
no. wifiLocker is only for keeping wifi on. It doesn't force it off.
other apps can still start wifi.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
After reversing the soft root, my Nook's battery life seems back to normal - ie, it's not draining super fast. I started today with nearly full charge, kept it in the office maybe 8 hours now on airplane mode, but in sleep mode, and it's 92 per cent. Pretty good, I think. So for me, it looks like the culprit is most likelythe soft root. What a pity.. !
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Schmots
Connoisseur

Perhaps try again. Maybe you had a glitch. I leave mine with airplane mode off, but I turn off wifi when I don't want it. I don't seem to have too much battery drain. More than a normal ebook, but then a normal ebook isn't also running android and trying to do things off cron jobs