Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Which Tablets are the Most Open?

I want a tablet where I can easily move my data on and off the device easily, either via a USB-cabled device (external drive, USB key, etc) or via an SD-card.

I do not want to be restricted to a proprietary cloud.

Presumably having this facility will reduce my need for internal memory space as I can move my data on and off. Though it would be nice to be able to expand internal storage using an SD-card.

I also want to be able to purchase media from a variety of sources (including using my ripped DVD's / CD's and reading my existing DRM-purged ebooks) and importing and using them on the device. I don't want to be locked into one vendor's store.

I don't care about the size or the speed particularly. I'm am concerned with 'openess.' I appreciate there is no such thing as an open device, but some devices are more open than others.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Ipad isn't too bad
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Ipad isn't too bad
Are they difficult to transfer data to and from PC's?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Google Nexus is a very open device. The iPad lets you transfer files using iTunes on either a PC or a Mac, and isn't terribly difficult, but the catch is the files have to be transferred to an application, not merely stored on the device. The Nexus becomes just another hard drive that you can copy files to/from with any file manager program.

If you have access to the Apple Market or the Google Play Store, you have a device that is not dependent on a single provider for your content, since these stores have apps for all the content providers (including free ones.)
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
Google Nexus is a very open device. The iPad lets you transfer files using iTunes on either a PC or a Mac, and isn't terribly difficult, but the catch is the files have to be transferred to an application, not merely stored on the device. The Nexus becomes just another hard drive that you can copy files to/from with any file manager program.

If you have access to the Apple Market or the Google Play Store, you have a device that is not dependent on a single provider for your content, since these stores have apps for all the content providers (including free ones.)
How can one transfer files from a PC to the Nexus?
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
How can one transfer files from a PC to the Nexus?
You would just connect the supplied USB cable between the Nexus 7 and the PC. An explorer window will open on the PC just like with any other USB device, and you can drag and drop files between the PC and the internal storage folders on the Nexus.

Once you've got them across:

Your apps on the Nexus should then recognise the files (though sometimes you may need to drop them in specific folders).

Alternatively, you can install a file manager app (I find ES File Explorer to be particularly good) on the Android device, and then navigate to your files. Opening one will pop up a list of the apps that you have installed that can handle it. Pick the one you want and the file will open in that app.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Okay, thanks. I didn't realize it was that simple to move data on and off a Nexus. I'd got the impression data could only be loaded onto it via the cloud.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Okay, thanks. I didn't realize it was that simple to move data on and off a Nexus. I'd got the impression data could only be loaded onto it via the cloud.
I should add the disclaimer that I don't have a Nexus (sorry) so please if I've got this wrong above someone jump in and correct me. However, all four other Android devices in our household work this way.

Having said that, bringing things in from the cloud is often a better way of doing it than using a cable. Dropbox and Google Drive both work very well with Android devices. I used to use a cable a lot, but now I find that I simply open the relevant file from Dropbox and a local copy is made automatically.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I should add the disclaimer that I don't have a Nexus (sorry) so please if I've got this wrong above someone jump in and correct me. However, all four other Android devices in our household work this way.

Having said that, bringing things in from the cloud is often a better way of doing it than using a cable. Dropbox and Google Drive both work very well with Android devices. I used to use a cable a lot, but now I find that I simply open the relevant file from Dropbox and a local copy is made automatically.

Graham
There's an additional, even easier way for Nexus 7:
You can connect (more or less) any USB storage directly to the Nexus' Micro-USB-connector.
In Google Play, you find a Nexus 7 specific file handler: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aW1wb3J0ZXIiXQ..
Whether you connect any USB stick, harddrive or whatever mass storage you may have: You directly can process the files. No PC needed, only any standard USB-OTG-cable and some USB mass storage. And some files of course.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I was concerned about file transfers to my Nexus 10, but as Graham said, when connected via USB to a Windows PC you have to option of treating the device as a USB drive. The transfers also seem faster than I am used to with a Kindle Fire and various ebook readers.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote