Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
gspec
gspec began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I need and want to read more, should I get an eBook reader?

I need and want to read more (I used to read a lot), but not sure if I should get an eBook reader? I am thinking an eBook might help me enjoy reading more.
A little bit relevant background: I could spare 1-2 hours a day to read. I am not a fast reader, maybe 1 standard length novel in a week. I do not travel a lot. English is my second language, so built-in dictionary is a nice feature. I have many technical reference documents in PDF form. I enjoy watching Netflix. I am not a cheapskate, but I like to spend my money wisely on books and get some good values books. I already have a smartphone, a laptop, and a desktop (also an iPad, but someone is hogging that one )

Should I get an eBook reader? If you think it is a good idea, which one should I get (please consider Tablets too)?

I know I don't really need it, just want it. I would like to get inputs based on your knowledge and experience on eBook readers. Thanks in advance.
gspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Welcome to mobileread, gspec!

If you want it for reading PDF documents, don't get an e-reader - it's a horrible experience trying to read PDF on them. I think you would be better reading PDFs on a tablet, but as I don't have one, I hesitate to advise you on which one. You really need to go and look at them if you can and see how they work and which one you like. Or else just buy another iPad! However, a lot of people find the bright screen can be tiring to the eyes after a while, where the e-ink screens of ereaders is much easier on the eyes.

There are several good ereaders and again, it is really a case of trying them out if you can do so. It would probably be good for someone with experience of, say, a Kindle and a Kobo or Sony to comment on preferences here. There are certainly some problems with the latest firmware from Kobo, but that will be sorted out in time, and no doubt other ereaders have similar problems from time to time. However, there are plenty of people with the technical knowhow to give helpful advice if you are having problems with your ereader.

I certainly enjoy reading on my Kobo, and tend to alternate between it and paper books, depending on what I'm reading.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get, and enjoy reading on it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
in the 18 months or so since getting my kindle i have read more books than in the preceeding 10 years. so yes an ereader can definitely stimulate one's reading habits.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspec View Post
I know I don't really need it, just want it.
That's why we're all here!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I read a lot more with e-ink devices where I can change font size because they are very easy to read and my eyes aren't great anymore. But for your needs, PDF and Netflix, I'd think an iPad would be a better choice.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I recently bought my first ebook reader - a Kobo Touch - because I'm living in a non-English-speaking country. I've eyed them for years but couldn't justify it considering how many paper books the readers cost could buy.

In retrospect I wish I'd bought one years ago. Stuff I love about it:

- can carry all my books with me
- much lighter than a real book
- can adjust the font (I've always hated serif fonts) and more importantly the text size, e.g. larger for when it's darker out
- I use the built-in dictionary far more than I would have imagined

Word of warning tho: eink readers are great for text-heavy books but terrible for magazines and highly-formatted books/docs; for that I'd suggest a colour LCD tablet.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had a Kindle since Christmas, and don't think I could manage without it. You can read PDF & other documents on it, including spreadsheets, while it's not fantastic, it is readable.

Benefits of e-readers are that you can easily change the text size, and have a choice of background colours (Kindle anyway). The price is usually cheaper than a paper book (but not always), you can store many books on it at any 1 time (over 1,000 in the Kindle). There are many free books available, especially at the Guttenberg project (over 30,000), but also at Amazon and Smashwords as well. Almost all the classic books are available free including Dickens, which could be an advantage for someone wanting to improve their English. The built-in dictionary will help you as well. You can also make notes where you like, and return to them at any time.

Amazon also has a low priced special offer of the day usually £0.99 in Amazon.co.uk, not sure of price at Amazon.com
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When I first started, I wasn't sure if I would like reading books electronically instead of holding them. So instead of buying an e-reader, I started by reading ebooks on my smart phone.

Eventually I was hooked and bought a larger android tablet for reading.

So you could try to just read on your smartphone as a test.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
gspec, you don't tell us where you are located. That would help us make recommendations.

I very much like my jetBook Lite, which has PDF reflow, so your PDF's would not be a problem. It has a built-in English dictionary which in my view is better suited for someone like yourself for whom English is a second language than it is for those of us for whom English is our native tongue.

It uses four AA flashlight batteries. We all buy eight rechargeables and a charger. Then we always have a set charged and ready to go when the current set runs down (which is about once every two weeks for many of us).

The screen is a reflective TFT screen, which means that the text is blacker than that of the eInk pearl screen. It's like looking at your wristwatch. No eye fatigue.

The jetBook Lite reads both mobi and ePub, and many other formats including rtf and fb2.

It is currently on sale at Newegg.com for $56.95.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Once I got my Kindle the amount I read went up dramatically.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
gspec

Thanks all for the input. It looks like getting an e-book is a good idea for me. I will probably get the cheapest Kindle or Nook to start. My PDFs are mostly technical references, so probably I can stick with my computer/laptop to read them and just use the eReader for novels or other books.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
gspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
gspec, you don't tell us where you are located. That would help us make recommendations.

I very much like my jetBook Lite, which has PDF reflow, so your
I am in the US, Thanks for the link. I didn't know some jetBooks use color eInk, maybe when they become cheaper I will get one.