Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #1051
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... And the Java VM that the Kindles use seems to be closed source, i.e., cvm isn't documented (AFAIK; but I dimly recall that either twobob or knc1 had at least a bit more insight into where it comes from). ...
We could exercise some google-fu:

According to our own Andrew de Quincey:
http://adq.livejournal.com/106967.html
Quote:
Kindle 3 hacking
My latest gadget is a kindle 3, and of course I want to hack it.
It seems to be a remarkably straightforward linux install. The main kindle applications are all implemented using a normal Java VM (Sun's "C" Virtual Machine (CVM).
So, let's investigate "Sun's CVM":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVM
Quote:
C virtual machine, a Java virtual machine distributed by Sun Microsystems and used on mobile devices such as the Amazon Kindle
And the official "basic use of cvm" guide:
http://docs.oracle.com/javame/config...ml/running.htm
Quote:
The CDC Java runtime environment includes cvm, the CDC application launcher, for loading and executing Java applications. This chapter describes basic use of the cvm command to launch different kinds of Java applications, in addition to more advanced topics like memory management and dynamic compiler policies.
The official "cvm reference" might come in handy:
http://docs.oracle.com/javame/config...e/html/cvm.htm
Quote:
This appendix describes the cvm command in detail. For the Oracle Java ME Embedded Client, see the Oracle Java Micro Edition Embedded Client Reference Guide for detailed information about cvm for the Oracle Java ME Embedded Client.
Digging deeper, here is the "cvm bootstrap and initialization process":
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jiangli...bootstrap.html
Quote:
You probably already know that CVM is written in C. So what happens from the VM's launched (invoking the C main() function) all the way till the first line of Java code in your main() method is executed? There is a lot going on during that period, and we usually refer to this as the VM bootstrap. This article will explain the details of the CVM bootstrapping and initialization process.
HTH

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #1052
xbingo
xbingo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
can I customize the order of the dictionaries
I can only find a setting to control which dictionary showed first

Last edited by xbingo; 01-06-2013 at 10:55 PM.
xbingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #1053
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbingo View Post
can I customize the order of the dictionaries
I can only find a setting to control which dictionary showed first
Since it says that there is nothing to setup, that would mean that you can't customize it either. Until ixtab extends the functionality you probably can't do anything. Unless you are experimenting with maybe renaming the dictionaries?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #1054
weatherje
weatherje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Requirements:
  • Kindle Touch, Firmware 5.1.0 - 5.1.2, or Kindle Paperwhite, Firmware 5.3.1
  • It goes without saying that the jailbreak is required.
  • In addition, the user interface requires the Kindlet Jailbreak.
So it is possible to install and unintall it without jailbreak? Just copy the file to the Kindle and reboot?

//EDIT
Damn. Missinterpeted it. Native language isn't english... -.-

Last edited by weatherje; 01-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.
weatherje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #1055
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherje View Post
So it is possible to install and unintall it without jailbreak? Just copy the file to the Kindle and reboot?
It is possible to copy the file and reboot, but without the jailbreak the installation will fail. Jailbreak is required for installation / removal and during the use.
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #1056
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@weatherje: Read the first post again, particularly that half-sentence clearly stating "that the jailbreak is required". Read the README. And then read your post again.

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1057
weatherje
weatherje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
@weatherje: Read the first post again, particularly that half-sentence clearly stating "that the jailbreak is required". Read the README. And then read your post again.
ohhhhhh. Sorry sorry. My native language isn't english and I missinterpreted this sentence... I thought it means, that it works without a jailbreak, but it means something completely different.
Sorry for that.
Ashamed
weatherje
weatherje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #1058
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changed the sentence to "Of course, the jailbreak is required." to avoid such confusion in the future
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #1059
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
Hi, I created a Minecraft-Mod-Loader from your PatchingClassLoader

Are you ok with this?

https://github.com/MaPePeR/MinecraftExternalModloader
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #1060
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
Hi, I created a Minecraft-Mod-Loader from your PatchingClassLoader

Are you ok with this?

https://github.com/MaPePeR/MinecraftExternalModloader
Of course! Good to see that the idea is considered useful

And thanks for sharing the info
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #1061
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry if this may sound silly but is the UI necessary or optional? I am on a PW and all that matters to me is the hyphenation support.

Thanks!
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #1062
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Sorry if this may sound silly but is the UI necessary or optional? I am on a PW and all that matters to me is the hyphenation support.Thanks!
I't optional but IMHO strongly recommended. Its unintrusive, doesn't modify any menu and make it very easy to enable/configure/disable features. You simply access it as if it were an active content (it's listed together with the books). And if you try it, you will also love the margin modify feature.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #1063
deeppans
deeppans began at the beginning.

Device: K5
JBPatch for KT 5.3.2

Hi,

The latest version of JBPatch is 3.1.0, will it work with newer KT with firmware 5.3.2?

My KT has firmware 5.1.2 with latest JBPatch & Collection Manager, can I upgrade to KT's firmware 5.3.2?

Or do I need to uninstall all these and then upgrade to newer KT firmware?

TIA
deeppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #1064
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppans View Post
Hi,

The latest version of JBPatch is 3.1.0, will it work with newer KT with firmware 5.3.2?

My KT has firmware 5.1.2 with latest JBPatch & Collection Manager, can I upgrade to KT's firmware 5.3.2?

Or do I need to uninstall all these and then upgrade to newer KT firmware?

TIA
1) No, neither of the 2 versions 3.1.0 fw510 or fw531 will work with KT 5.3.2 (see first post) - you have to wait for a new version for the KT 5.3.2, and even then it is very likely that only those features supported by PW will also be available on KT 5.3.2

2) I believe you have to uninstall both, JBPatch and CM. It won't hurt anything, the update will simply fail if you don't uninstall them. But since both won't work any more even if they survive the update, you should uninstall them anyway. DO NOT uninstall the jailbreak itself, or you won't have the KT jailbroke after the update. There is a new version of Collection Manager that will work on KT 5.3.2
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #1065
NovaTornado
NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.2
Edit: *Answered my main question with some Googling :P*

One question though, whats the Kindlet JB do? The actual jailbreak install dev certs (i think?), but not sure what the Kindlet JB is. :x And if I decide to update, do I need to remove the Kindlet JB first?

Last edited by NovaTornado; 01-11-2013 at 01:28 AM.
NovaTornado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks