Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #136
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Now with KF8 you are able to add Kindle bombs to your files. The next enhancement will be snow crash. Woohoo!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #137
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Y'all are making me giggle. A former colleague used to call my emails "Weapons of Mass Verbosity". Some of my posts here would qualify as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now with KF8 you are able to add Kindle bombs to your files. The next enhancement will be snow crash. Woohoo!
Thanks for reminding me to move Stephenson up on my TBR list.

On topic, I have no worries about this, mainly because I'm of the belief that, as others have stated, no Kindles will be rendered obsolete by this move. Sounds to me like customers will simply be served the format that works on the device/app the file is sent to. Just a guess, but it makes sense considering how the Kindle system works.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #138
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
*Shrugs*. If Amazon is going to tweak its e-book format every few years, then I'll probably start buying my books in .epub form. (The conversion from .epub to .mobi is quite satisfactory.)

I've never thought of my Kindle as the repository for my e-books. It has whatever I'm interested in reading at the moment, but my library is in Calibre. I'll just build an .epub library, and Amazon won't get my dollars.

I use a Kindle, yet I feel very independent of the format war.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #139
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I have no worries about this, mainly because I'm of the belief that, as others have stated, no Kindles will be rendered obsolete by this move. Sounds to me like customers will simply be served the format that works on the device/app the file is sent to. Just a guess, but it makes sense considering how the Kindle system works.
^^This.

However, if our friends at Alf's can't 'fix' the problem, I will buy my books elsewhere and just convert. I have a Kindle and husband has a Nook. Can't see buying a book twice so we both can read them.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #140
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Although I think that it's VERY unlikely, I do wish that the dx will be able to use the new format (assuming, as I've read elsewhere, that it improves the handling of math equations). I purchased my dx primarily for reading physics books and journal papers, but the first hasn't turned out so well. Amazon appears to have done some sort of OCR on equations in most physics books, which butchers them beyond recognition. This, of course, makes the book worthless. (Sometimes SOME of the equations are embedded as images- but never all of them.)

Because of this, I haven't purchased any books for my dx, which I'm sure isn't what Amazon wanted. I've downloaded free samples of about 2 dozen physics books, none of which were usable. I complained about them, about a dozen or so were actually pulled from Amazon. If the equations were correct, so that the books would be usable, I would actually purchase them, which would be a win for Amazon. But, since the dx is effectively abandoned, I'm not holding my breath.

(And, in case anyone is wondering, I don't really want to "upgrade" to a 6-inch Kindle, because I use my Kindle for reading research papers, which are pdfs. My poor eyes just can't handle the pdf on the 6 inch screen.)
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #141
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Looking at Amazon's support site I find the following "latest software updates available:"

KT 4.0.1
KK 3.3
DX 2.5
K2 2.5
K1 1.2

So, its not clear to me that Amazon is even committed to updating KK to KF8
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KT has a different firmware because it has to support an on-screen keyboard and other UI differences. So that's not surprising the firmware is a different version.

There's no way to know if the K3/KK is supported or not until it happens or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #143
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimad View Post
Looking at Amazon's support site I find the following "latest software updates available:"

KT 4.0.1
KK 3.3
DX 2.5
K2 2.5
K1 1.2

So, its not clear to me that Amazon is even committed to updating KK to KF8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KT has a different firmware because it has to support an on-screen keyboard and other UI differences. So that's not surprising the firmware is a different version.

There's no way to know if the K3/KK is supported or not until it happens or not.
Quite.

It's very common for different products in a lineup to run different software versions, even if they offer very similar functionality.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #144
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm cool with that. I tend to read books that are simply full of words anyway. Almost any format out there (with the exception of PDF), manages to throw those words on a six-inch screen efficiently enough for my reading purposes.

Absolutely. Glad I still have a K2 registered. I have a feeling all the new books I buy will be for the K2.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #145
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Yesterday I asked amazon Germany Kindle-support regarding KF8 and Kindle3 Keyboard and they don't know themselves yet. Apparently the information what exactly the "latest generation" of Kindle incorporates hasn't been distributed within amazon (yet) or it is currently only available in the US.

Therefore we'll have to remain patient.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #146
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
PCMAG (emphasis mine):
Quote:
E-books on the Kindle Fire will be powered by Kindle Format 8 (KF8), which will replace the existing Mobi format and add more than 150 news capabilities, like HTML5 and CSS3 support, as well as embedded fonts, drop caps and CSS selectors such as line spacing, alignment, justification, margin, color, style, and border.

Amazon said KF8 will eventually be rolled out to its Kindle apps and latest generation Kindle e-ink devices, including the Kindle Touch and most recent $79 non-touch version.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #147
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
PCMAG (emphasis mine):
That article hasn't got any more information than we have to make that claim. It's actually their emphasis rather than anything factual.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote