Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
mjshuster
mjshuster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Categorize by type, then print a list?

I’ve never tried to do anything other than use Calibre as a repository for my e-books.

Yesterday a friend asked for a list of my fantasy novels. How can I add or use an existing field for Category? I’d like to categorize my e-books by “type”, that is, (F)iction, (B)iography, (FA)ntasy, etc. Is there a coloured tag that I can use? Or can I add a field to the file structure?

Then I’d like to print off a list of my “Fantasy” e-books to give, or email, to my friend.

Over 20 years ago, I was a programmer. But I was a business programmer so I wrote programs in COBOL or in an SQL query language. I didn’t do any object oriented programming.
mjshuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What you want is hierarchical tags, see Managing subgroups of books

Then you can search by subgroup (genre) and create a catalogue to send to your friend

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2018 at 06:32 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Create a CSV Catalog (use you fav spreadsheet for printing)
Catalog respects the current view
So search tags:fantasy (verify results meet your needs)
Right click the convert Icon: Catalog: Select CSV: Use the options tab to select fields to include.
Run:save to a target folder: Open CSV with spreadsheet
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshuster View Post
I’ve never tried to do anything other than use Calibre as a repository for my e-books.

Yesterday a friend asked for a list of my fantasy novels. How can I add or use an existing field for Category? I’d like to categorize my e-books by “type”, that is, (F)iction, (B)iography, (FA)ntasy, etc. Is there a coloured tag that I can use? Or can I add a field to the file structure?

Then I’d like to print off a list of my “Fantasy” e-books to give, or email, to my friend.

Over 20 years ago, I was a programmer. But I was a business programmer so I wrote programs in COBOL or in an SQL query language. I didn’t do any object oriented programming.
Calibre has tags built in (comma-separated). So as you add books, you just make sure you tag things appropriately. If you've already added things, a search by author and bulk edit can be handy for authors who write mainly in one genre. For instance you can search for “Agatha Christie”, select all, bulk edit tags to “Fiction, Mystery”, and then go hand edit only those books that don't fit the category.

Than you can search for “tag:Fantasy” or whatever. theducks explained how to generate a CSV catalog from this if you want.

If you want tags to show in the main view, right-click on one of the existing columns and choose “Show column -> Tags”. See the attached image for an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	161648  
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
mjshuster
mjshuster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks.

To the 3 people who responded to this question. These suggestions worked like a charm.

I am also curious as to what Calibre’s underlying file structure is. Is it a flat file or is there a relational database in there?
mjshuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshuster View Post
To the 3 people who responded to this question. These suggestions worked like a charm.

I am also curious as to what Calibre’s underlying file structure is. Is it a flat file or is there a relational database in there?
HUGE RDB

SQLITE spy (just don't tamper )
Old 01-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
HUGE RDB
As theducks said...So don't even think of mucking about with the file structure of the library with your file manager!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
As theducks said...So don't even think of mucking about with the file structure of the library with your file manager!
I was talking about the structure of metadata.db. But your point also stands.