Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #4411
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I feel I shouldn't waste money on books I'm never going to read.
I guess. I suppose I'm still deluding myself that I will read them all eventually. I don't buy a book that I just don't see myself reading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #4412
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess. I suppose I'm still deluding myself that I will read them all eventually. I don't buy a book that I just don't see myself reading.
I've had more than ten years of deluding myself that I'll read them all. I still have unread books from 2008, although I have managed to read all those I bought from 2002 to 2007!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #4413
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I've had more than ten years of deluding myself that I'll read them all. I still have unread books from 2008, although I have managed to read all those I bought from 2002 to 2007!
I think if I tried organizing myself that much I would enjoy reading less. Though I admire those that do.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #4414
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Being out of work last year really fixed this problem for me. I have six months of not a single purchase and I read more books last year that I have ever read before. My TBR is already down a net 6 books this year. Even though I am financially able to resume the habit, I seem to be perfectly happy not to do so.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #4415
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So far this year I've only bought the one book which looks as if it'll be the New Leaf Book Club selection so that's accounted for; however, I know I'll be using up some about-to-expire Google Play credit in the next week or so, but I'll try to be strategic about it.
You have to use those Google credits. Being able to take $5 off an Agency priced book is like seeing a unicorn.

Also, I hope their popularity encourages Google to continue offering them and spend resources on their ebookstore and app.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #4416
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Quote:
Welcome!

First bit of advice would be to mark all those you're no longer interested in reading as 'neither read nor unread', i.e. blank in the calibre read column.
Thanks yes I do that
It helps that thanks to these boards I now know how to highlight the books I have read
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #4417
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've decided that I must read all books I've bought (and buy) this year before I read anything else. Unless it's a series where I have yet to read the earlier books.

Perhaps the prospect of having to read the book urgently will help to restrain me. I've not got off to a good start in 2018.
Good luck with that lol
Let me know how you did it if it works
I find I have got so many cheap psychological thrillers that sound really good, but a lot of them don't live up to the reviews
But my favourite authors it is cheaper to buy the paperback
Linwood Barclay
Michael Connelly
Harlan Coben
Robert Crais
Think will have to order them from the actual book library lol
As our ELibrary never seems to have newer books.

Last edited by Jo69; 01-12-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #4418
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
But my favourite authors it is cheaper to buy the paperback

Since I have such a large stack of books I want to read, I tend to just wait for special offers on new books I want.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #4419
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Being out of work last year really fixed this problem for me. I have six months of not a single purchase and I read more books last year that I have ever read before. My TBR is already down a net 6 books this year. Even though I am financially able to resume the habit, I seem to be perfectly happy not to do so.
Yes, it certainly does cut into your eBook purchases, doesn't it? Hard to justify buying an eBook when you already have hundreds in your TBR and there's still food to be bought.

I started out this year with a rather reckless abandon on the buying front, fueled in part by three favourite series that all had new books in the first week and a half of January. And then I started looking for books for the New Leaf Book Club to nominate, and that took me down some places I hadn't been and just had to buy books that I discovered. And I had done so well last year.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #4420
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think I have backed myself into a corner where I'm going to need to buy an ebook for the regular agency asking price. I'm surprisingly annoyed about it, even though I'm going to read it immediately and I can cover the price with a christmas gift card balance. I really ought to buy it today, but I'm still putting it off.

(I was intending to borrow the paper version from the local library system, but neither of the two copies near me have been available lately.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #4421
Jo69
Addict

What exactly is the TBR list?
Is it a wish list you've created on amazon or somewhere?
Or a column of the books in your Calibre Library that yes you will read one day?
As opposed to many that you won't?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #4422
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Or a column of the books in your Calibre Library that yes you will read one day?
In my case, it's my "To Be Read" list, and it's all the books I have in calibre that are marked unread. Most of the rest of the books are marked read, but there are some which I've bought but decided not to read. These have the "Read" column left blank.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #4423
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Since I have such a large stack of books I want to read, I tend to just wait for special offers on new books I want.
Sales are always my problem. I am very tempted by sales, but not half as much as $1.99 Audible whispersync companion titles. Fortunately, they raised the price on those, so I'm less likely to get them.

I took Paul's idea last year and listed books by date of purchase (spreadsheets are great for this) as well as where I have the audio/book (so I can find it!). Took about a week to do that list because I kept remembering "oh, I have some books at that site; Oh, I bought some audios at Downpour". Read/listened to everything before 2010, so yay! Since I joined The Ebook Addicts Support thread, I've been buying about 20 books fewer per year than I can read, so it's going to take some time to get caught up, but there is hope. BTW, yes, I have downloaded everything and archived it, but sometimes there are updates that I didn't know about, so I download again.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-19-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #4424
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
In my case, it's my "To Be Read" list, and it's all the books I have in calibre that are marked unread. Most of the rest of the books are marked read, but there are some which I've bought but decided not to read. These have the "Read" column left blank.
I have a 5-way Read column, myself: TBR, Read, Not Read (meaning I might get to it eventually, such as later books in a series I binge bought), Not Interested (likely books in a Baen bundle that I have no intention of reading), and Abandoned (What it says -- books I gave the old college try to, but eventually gave up on in disgust.) This tends to keep my TBR down to manageable size, since even when I buy several books in a series, only the next, or next two, go on the TBR. Once I read the one that's on the TBR, then next in line goes on, so my TBR doesn't necessarily go down when I read a book. (For example, I have started reading PD James' Dalgliesh series, and have read 6 of them. But have them ALL in Calibre. Only #7, A Taste of Death, is in my TBR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #4425
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
For me, it's the set of all books I have purchased (or acquired for free) which I have not yet read but want/intend to read. Due to its size, I more often refer to it as the Tsundoku Massif.

I organize that set in two loose ways. In Goodreads, I maintain a "limbo-unread" list for ebooks that I need/want to go through and at least check the formatting on before loading them on a device. (Most of the indie fiction I buy has rather glaring problems in that area, such as excessive line spacing or using hardcoded spaces to indent paragraphs instead of just defining those paragraphs as being indented.) Once I process a book and load it onto my reader, it gets moved onto one of three lists to indicate urgency. "Want to Read" is the lowest, typically indicating that it's a sequel with other volumes ahead of it. "Shortlist" is for most books that have no such prerequisite - something I could read at any time. "Now-list" is the top, maybe 25 books which have attracted my attention. When I finish one book, I typically select my next one from "now-list" - unless I'm reading a series, in which case I go to "Want to read" to find the next book.

The other loose way amounts to prioritizing which limbo books to process first, and that's an even more complicated, tangled mess. Some of the levels in that system include "need to download" (usually for Smashwords, where downloading and adding the ISBN, description, and the full-size cover are four different manual tasks), "need to add/fix metadata," and at least four levels of urgency apply.

Like I said, it's a big collection, and I deal with that by using priorities to chop it into (more) manageable pieces.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote