Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
igorcv88
igorcv88 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight
Nook SimpleTouch Rooting (Hacking)

Hello, what are the benefits of Rooting my Nook SimpleTouch?

Is it like jailbreak in the iPhone (slows it down, crack it a lot...)?

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Can I put eBooks in my Nook SimpleTouch wirelessly (like SSH)?

Last edited by igorcv88; 02-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
igorcv88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
The reason I rooted my NST is to be able to use a different ereader (Mantano) and a handful of simple Internet web/news clients like AccuWeather, NPR, Opera Mobile, etc.

Re: your "most important" question: I did a quick try of FTP using Opera Mobile (with a FileZilla FTP server at the other end) and it didn't fly due to "incompatible authentication method required by server". There are FTP and SSH clients available from Google Market, but I have not tried them.

Last edited by livramax; 02-08-2013 at 06:34 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The "rooted nook must haves" seem to include the dropbox client for android
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Anyone done a Nook root and a Kindle jailbreak here? I would like to root a simple touch but am somewhat electron challenged.....
I maaged the Kindle jailbreak by slavishly following simple detailled instructions, but am struggling with gathering the information for the Nook ST.
So, is it fairly simple, or should I keep my sticky hands off?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Anyone done a Nook root and a Kindle jailbreak here? I would like to root a simple touch but am somewhat electron challenged.....
I maaged the Kindle jailbreak by slavishly following simple detailled instructions, but am struggling with gathering the information for the Nook ST.
So, is it fairly simple, or should I keep my sticky hands off?
If your NST is running firmware versions 1.1.5 and later, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040351 for an automated backup/restore/rooting tool "Nook Manager". After your NST is rooted with the NM tool, you will need to use the NTGAppsAttack tool to install apps from Google Market (aka Google Play in newer Android versions).

If your NST is the non-Glow model, and is still running the older firmware v1.1.2 and which you happen to be content/happy with and have no desire to upgrade to a newer firmware, there is an older rooting tool MinimalTouch (v1.1beta5) posted at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1346748 which entails a bit more tedious rooting process, but the resulting firmware+rooting combo yields a setup that is ready for download and installation of Google Market apps without the need of a separate G-app installation tool.

Before attempting to root your NST, you should consider backing up the NST's entire internal storage as a disk image (nearly 2GB) using the method described at http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-simple-touch/ or also at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1142983.

Last edited by livramax; 05-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for the information. I have 1.2.0 and want to root this so I can read mobi and azw files, so I expect I wll need to use google play for the reader app.
So, upgrade, backup, root and NtgApps Attack, then install the reader of my choice?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
So far (in no particular order):

DropBox.
Opera Mini (for some reason it doesn't offer the Single-Column view I get on my phone, grrr).
I can read and edit spreadsheets!
Jota Text editor.
3rd-party e-reader software.
Fricking with stuff in general.

Basically I use it as a low-power tablet to review my work-related stuff when I want to get away from the computer and do design.

To be honest, I'm wondering if I might move it along and invest the money in a cheap 7-inch tablet. Admittedly I can also use it as a dedicated e-reader. We shall see. I f someone wants it, I might sell it and get a tablet, which is what I use it for mainly.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
So, upgrade, backup, root and NtgApps Attack, then install the reader of my choice?
Yup that's the correct sequence (although I can't comment on the value of the "upgrade", as I had chosen to stay with v1.1.2).

Last edited by livramax; 05-19-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Well, that went fairly well. Now to learn how it all works....thanks for help and advice,all.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I did it okay using NookManager. V.1.2. One thing. My battery life was terrible until I renamed a couple of .apk files in the system/apk folder. One was about cell standby. That was the bad one. It was eating the battery even in sleep mode. Also I installed an app to force the reader to go into deep sleep mode when sleeping. Once I did that, battery was okay.

I tried to get norefresh working but it doesn't really work for v.1.2. I've only managed to get it running a couple of times and then it deactivated itself. I can't be bothered downgrading fiirmware or re-compiling kernels to get it to work. Would be nice thought. anyone got it going with v.1.2?

Overall, I'd say rooting a Nook is not that easy. sure you can root it. But you have to get rid of the cell standby process or you will have no battery life. At least, that was my experience.

Apart from that, it's great. I can read spreadsheets and take copius notes as well as browse and read, all in one device. Otherwise I'd have have to drag a tablet round with me too. Great buy. I love it and glad I rooted it, but I know computers fairly well.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Quick query. Having rooted my nook, what happens if I deregister it and re register as a different user? Does the root vanish?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I did it okay using NookManager. V.1.2. One thing. My battery life was terrible until I renamed a couple of .apk files in the system/apk folder. One was about cell standby. That was the bad one. It was eating the battery even in sleep mode. Also I installed an app to force the reader to go into deep sleep mode when sleeping. Once I did that, battery was okay.

I tried to get norefresh working but it doesn't really work for v.1.2. I've only managed to get it running a couple of times and then it deactivated itself. I can't be bothered downgrading fiirmware or re-compiling kernels to get it to work. Would be nice thought. anyone got it going with v.1.2?

Overall, I'd say rooting a Nook is not that easy. sure you can root it. But you have to get rid of the cell standby process or you will have no battery life. At least, that was my experience.

Apart from that, it's great. I can read spreadsheets and take copius notes as well as browse and read, all in one device. Otherwise I'd have have to drag a tablet round with me too. Great buy. I love it and glad I rooted it, but I know computers fairly well.
Can you tell me more about getting rid of the cell standby process? My husband just rooted a second NST we got as a gift, and I'll get rid of that if I can tell him specifically what to get rid of. He is an IT professional so he obviously knows computers well.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Can you tell me more about getting rid of the cell standby process? My husband just rooted a second NST we got as a gift, and I'll get rid of that if I can tell him specifically what to get rid of. He is an IT professional so he obviously knows computers well.
You can get rid of cell standby process by mounting the filesystem as writeable and then renaming the process' filename which I believe to be Phone.apk or TelephonyProvider.apk (I don't have my NST with me to doublecheck as it's been appropriated by my daughter who's away from home at her summer job) -- e.g., to Phone.apk.bak. This way you can revert the change in case there is any undesirable side effect.

To accomplish the above, the simplest way (which you can do yourself) is to use a file-manager app (from Search Market aka GooglePlay) such as ES FileExplorer; you'll need to first go into its Settings to enable root-browsing and mounting-filesystem-writable, before browsing to the target file in /system/app and rename it.

The slightly more tedious way is to run a Terminal emulation app and use linux-like android command lines "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system", "cd /system/app" and "mv Phone.apk Phone.apk.bak".

The most tedious way is to use use android command lines with ADB access from PC (http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html) over either USB or Wireless interface. This ADB command-line method is overkill for your current purpose, but it's handy for more complicated hacking (e.g., blocking OTA update, enabling USB audio, etc.).

Last edited by livramax; 07-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Oh I have ES FileExplorer on my phone. I think I can even do that myself. Thanks!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Oh I have ES FileExplorer on my phone. I think I can even do that myself. Thanks!
I forgot to mention: you'll have to power-cycle (off, on) the NST in order for the change to take effect.