Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
paulwb
paulwb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Fetch News Customize Filename

Hello,

I am using Calibre, mainly to download news and convert them into eBooks for my Sony PRS-T1, which works great.

But I have a problem, when I download a news source twice a day and the filename is identical. I overwrite then the file I have on the Reader. But when the file was opened on the reader before and it remembered the page, on opening the new version, I get an error "Invalid Page".

Now I want calibre--or the news fetch plugin--to include the hour and/or the calibre ID in the filename. I managed it to adjust the directory where the news ebook is downloaded to, but not the filename.

And Calibre won't copy both versions (with same title and filename) to the device automatically.

Is there a way to adjust the title and filename, not only the directory? And if yes, how?

Thanks and regards
Paul.
paulwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply change the title in calibre before uploading to your device (the filename for news files sent to devices is hardcoded to be title+date. If you download the same news source more than once a day, they you will get the conflict.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
paulwb
paulwb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I know that I can change the title of the file... but that's not what I want to do with dozens of files.

So it is not possible to adjust the name. :-|
paulwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
Hi Paul,

Actually, using the "Advanced mode" of the recipe editor, you can customize the recipe to include a timestamp in the title of the ebook as it is created. I haven't tested this extensively, but it seems to have the desired effect - if I fetch news from a timestamped recipe twice in a row, both files will will appear independently on my Kindle. Technically I think this is because the different timestamp cause the titles to be treated as different periodicals, not different issues of the same periodical. This may have other side effects, but eliminates the annoying side effect of the Kindle replacing one with another when you delete it.

Illustrated below with a simple one-feed RSS recipe. First, as it appears by default when you switch to advanced mode:

Code:
class AdvancedUserRecipe1328584372(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'Inn at the Crossroads'
    oldest_article = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    auto_cleanup = True
    feeds          = [(u'Inn at the Crossroads', u'http://innatthecrossroads.com/feed/')]
Now, with the timestamp:

Code:
from time import time, ctime
class AdvancedUserRecipe1328583601(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'Inn at the Crossroads'
    oldest_article = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    auto_cleanup = True
    conversion_options = {'title' : title + ' - ' + ctime(time())}
    feeds          = [(u'Inn at the Crossroads', u'http://innatthecrossroads.com/feed/')]
Basically, I append the time to the base recipe title using conversion_options.
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Filo
Filo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hello,

I have similar problem. I would like add to Calibre settings an global option: include
Code:
extra_css =
to each fetched news independent from recipes code. I checked that above options is unavailable. I would like to add them by plug-in or GUI-update. I quite new in Calibra and Python also, so hard work to do If You can help, please describe which mentioned upper method can be more useful ? I prefer plug-in, but I can't find clear description where to search "fetch news" framework settings available by plug-in functions ?

Best, Filo.
Filo is offline   Reply With Quote