Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Glowlight 3 deleted my files

Hi,

I haven't touched my Glowlight 3 [BNRV520] in a while, and the battery completely died.

After recharging it, I found that all of my side-loaded content was completely deleted.

Is this normal behavior? I had the Simple Touch prior to this one, and this kind of thing has never happened, no matter how long the battery was dead.

Thanks.
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Hi,

I haven't touched my Glowlight 3 [BNRV520] in a while, and the battery completely died.

After recharging it, I found that all of my side-loaded content was completely deleted.

Is this normal behavior? I had the Simple Touch prior to this one, and this kind of thing has never happened, no matter how long the battery was dead.

Thanks.
I've not had my Glowlight 3 completely die like that. But the latest software does seem buggy compared to the software I've used on Nooks in the past.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
javyn
Enthusiast

Well, I got home and was finally able to plug my Nook into my PC and my sideloaded files were actually still there. I ejected the device and according to Windows, it was fine to unplug but the Nook itself said that it was not properly unmounted and my files were corrupt.

I had it delete the files and was going to transfer them to the device again but then, it wouldn't mount on the PC when plugging it in at all.

Erased and Deregistered the device, logged back in, and everything seems to be working now so far *fingers crossed*

In short....letting the battery die must have corrupted my entire profile.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
javyn, when you eject the NOOK from a computer, wait a while before unplugging the cable. The PC may tell you that it's safe to eject, but the NOOK might still be working. If you see your side-loaded books flashing by in the "new and recent" section of the home page, WAIT for that to finish before unplugging the NOOK from the computer.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
javyn
Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I always wait a little bit. Didn't have a problem until my battery completely died this time.

Once I reset my proflile things seem to be as normal.
Advert
Old 09-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
javyn
Enthusiast

Well, this problem has returned, with a vengeance. I noticed last week every time I this device gets rebooted, my sideloaded content is gone. I Deregistered and logged in again, but my patience for this device has run out. I think it may be time to consider a Kobo. :\
Old 09-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Well, this problem has returned, with a vengeance. I noticed last week every time I this device gets rebooted, my sideloaded content is gone. I Deregistered and logged in again, but my patience for this device has run out. I think it may be time to consider a Kobo. :\
Maybe exchange your Nook for a new one on warranty? It sounds to me like the memory is failing on this one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
javyn
Enthusiast

It seems to me like once this reader idles for any period of time, the fact that I have wifi disabled (to save battery) makes it crap it self upon wake. I get an error, then the cover art in my library disappears, which means the books themselves are about to disappear.

I'd like to revert back to the old firmware if possible before I give up on this thing. Even with the small sideload partition, it seemed stable at least.

edit: Nevermind, enabling wifi doesn't solve anything

Last edited by javyn; 09-22-2018 at 02:52 PM.