Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
Zanfire
Zanfire began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 [2012]
Post ePub problem with MoonReader+ Pro

Good morning.

A couple of days ago, I buyed a book in ePub format (no other format available). The book is a heavily formatted tome, with a very studied graphical layout as it is a tabletop game manual.

When I try to read this manual on MoonReader+ Pro, the app completely whipes the book css-fomatting, making it almost unreadable. I use a very specific options setup when reading book with this app, so it's a normal event, but even if I remove all of my personalizations, the book still is unreadable.

I even use the "publisher preview" button, but the manual is still very badly rendered as an unreadabale mess up.

So far, only Kobo allows me to read the book as it is intendet to be, but as my main reading app is MoonReader+, I'd like to understand if it's a limit of this very app or if I'm missing something.

The book should be ePub3 format.
Zanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
jxlab
jxlab began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2
Hi, I think WebView(Google Chrome) based readers have better support for epubs with complex css. For example: Reasily and Lithium.
jxlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanfire View Post
Good morning.

A couple of days ago, I buyed a book in ePub format (no other format available). The book is a heavily formatted tome, with a very studied graphical layout as it is a tabletop game manual.

When I try to read this manual on MoonReader+ Pro, the app completely whipes the book css-fomatting, making it almost unreadable. I use a very specific options setup when reading book with this app, so it's a normal event, but even if I remove all of my personalizations, the book still is unreadable.

I even use the "publisher preview" button, but the manual is still very badly rendered as an unreadabale mess up.

So far, only Kobo allows me to read the book as it is intendet to be, but as my main reading app is MoonReader+, I'd like to understand if it's a limit of this very app or if I'm missing something.

The book should be ePub3 format.
It's entirely possible that the epub is an epub3 fixed layout which few renderers are capable of handling properly. I ran into this with the British Museum's Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History of Magic which looks like crap unless I use the Kobo app (Android or iOS) or a Kobo eInk device. Readium should be able to handle this format but I haven't tested it. I've also read that Gitden is able to handle epub3 FLO but again haven't tried this for myself.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-15-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Corrected yet another fat fingered typo
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Iceyogurt
Iceyogurt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Never use MoonReader as an epub reader, it doesn't support CSS within epub files.
Iceyogurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
if it is because it is epub3, then either try an app with a dedicated epub3 renderer option - like Bookari pro, or convert the book to epub 2 with sigil or calibre and see how moon gets on with the converted book.
a calibre epub to epub conversion on default settings will change e3 to e2. I always convert, mostly because epub2 is more tweakable. I save a copy of the original epub3, just in case, but tweak the reading copy.

another option is to use the free kobo for android reader, just for that book, as you say it looks ok in kobo.
google play store has it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.kobobooks.android

->iceyoghurt. Mon+ is a great epub reader which fully supports CSS in epub, with many many options for enabling/disabling specific CSS elements. try examining the preferences options before making silly statements
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #6
Iceyogurt
Iceyogurt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
if it is because it is epub3, then either try an app with a dedicated epub3 renderer option - like Bookari pro, or convert the book to epub 2 with sigil or calibre and see how moon gets on with the converted book.
a calibre epub to epub conversion on default settings will change e3 to e2. I always convert, mostly because epub2 is more tweakable. I save a copy of the original epub3, just in case, but tweak the reading copy.

another option is to use the free kobo for android reader, just for that book, as you say it looks ok in kobo.
google play store has it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.kobobooks.android

->iceyoghurt. Mon+ is a great epub reader which fully supports CSS in epub, with many many options for enabling/disabling specific CSS elements. try examining the preferences options before making silly statements
I have to admit that I tried it and find you're right. But in the old days, when Moon+ Reader use the old icon, it has a very bad INTERNAL stylesheet support and you felt like you were reading a .txt ebook. For example, inline images were always huge and no font was used as the epub file defined.

I'm sorry for what I said in the last post. Thx for correcting me except for your rude manner.
Iceyogurt is offline   Reply With Quote