Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
groob
Enthusiast
groob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1)
Cool Calibre for other kind of information/files (i.e. web bookmarks)

Hello,
I'm well aware Calibre was created from the ground up for handling digital books.
Given that I find the software to be awesome in term of customization and features, I've just set up my custom subgroups and I find them extremely useful.

This way one can classify a single book in a hierarchical way but also assign the same book to two different group/hierarchy without duplication.

Given that many researches are pointing in this direction as to be the "right" way or let's say the more similar way how we think and store information in our brain (more like a network then a rigid hierarchy) I would find very useful to apply this categorization to other kind of files/information.

When we think of a category in our mind, we can identify that particular book or other kind of information, that is, for example, web links to external resources in that category.

Still, I know the support for other kind of files is not the priority but wouldn't it be possible to store for example web bookmarks the same way? Would a plugin be able to do this? And if so, would it be possible with the same logic to extend this to other kind of files (audiobook, research papers, images, ectr).

I haven't found any other software being cross-platform (even in the single osx platform) and so flexible that can handle this kind of custom classification of informations.

What are you tough?
groob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can store any file type in a calibre book, but only one of any given type; e.g. you could store a script as a PDF and a movie as an mp4.

You can store a link to any URI in a custom column. Including a web page, a file, another book in another calibre library, a note in an notebook application like OneNote, Evernote, etc.

Here is a simple example of storing a clickable web page url

Define a custom column

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	187587

Cloak the custom column with an icon

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	187590

Copy the web page URL to the clipboard. Then edit the custom column in the booklist with F2 and use the Link tool (Ctrl+L)

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	187588

When you click the custom column value in the Book Details panel the web page will pop in your default browser.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	187589

And here's the doco on calibre's links The calibre:// URL scheme

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-09-2021 at 06:47 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
groob
Enthusiast
groob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1)
Hello,
thanks for your reply!

Sure, I know we can attach different file type, but what about adding links not attached to any book?

I mean what if I wanted to treat bookmarks and books independently?
As I am aware this is not possible right now, unless we create a fake empty book and attach a link to it
groob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I am not sure exactly what you are asking to do, but as an example of storing "other kinds of stuff" in Calibre, I do this with the piano sheet music that I play. I store the music itself as a PDF (nothing new or different there), and I store a URL to a Youtube performance of it in the "ID" field of Calibre's metadata.

Here are two screenshots of what it looks like, one from Calibre, and one from a third party app named Calibre-Web that I use for my web service. The way I instruct friends that I have given access to, is first display the PDF via the "Read in Browser" link, then click on the "URL" link to hear it performed as they read through the sheet music.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre_screenshot.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	188015   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreWeb_screenshot.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	188016  
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags