Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Firmware Updates

I don't think that the ereader manufacturers understand the importance of firmware updates.

I don't have an ONYX reader, but I do take note when they, or others, release an update.

As much as we like the ereaders that we have, most of us anyway, we would like to see some changes. Even if it isn't the fix WE want it shows that they are working to make it better.

Later this year I'll buy a larger screen reader for manuals. What ever it is will be from a company that shows it cares by updating the ones it makes now.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Keep and eye on Astak, they are in the hopes of releasing a large screen reader later this year. Their firmware updates are not released at regular dates, instead they are "when the firmware is right", which seems to be every month or two (on average).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Keep and eye on Astak, they are in the hopes of releasing a large screen reader later this year. Their firmware updates are not released at regular dates, instead they are "when the firmware is right", which seems to be every month or two (on average).
Beats the heck out of Sony. They must be very happy with their software.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I don't think that the ereader manufacturers understand the importance of firmware updates.
Add Sony to this list... When you switch your store from LRF to ePub, don't you think a firmware update to make sure ePub actually displays properly on your readers is a good idea?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Add Sony to this list... When you switch your store from LRF to ePub, don't you think a firmware update to make sure ePub actually displays properly on your readers is a good idea?
I thought I read that Sony does have an update for the PRS-505 that adds support for ePub. You might have to ship it back to them to get it installed though, not sure about that part.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Oh yeah, but it doesn't support full justification and correct pagination in ePubs (you have several "pages" with the same number). Pretty much a dealbreaker for me and a lot of people who still prefer LRF as a result, but can't buy it any more.

Their newer PRS-900 has fixed these problems and works correctly with ePub out of the box, but they haven't bothered to update the older readers to bring them up to par.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I thought I read that Sony does have an update for the PRS-505 that adds support for ePub. You might have to ship it back to them to get it installed though, not sure about that part.
Isn't that wonderful.
Ship it back.
Pay for the update service because you can't flash it yourself.
Same rigmarole with a worn out battery?

Lose the use of your reader for weeks.
Astak has the right product philosophy. User Serviceable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
The PRS-505 always supported ePub, it was the PRS-500 that required the update.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Isn't that wonderful.
Ship it back.
Pay for the update service because you can't flash it yourself.
Same rigmarole with a worn out battery?

Lose the use of your reader for weeks.
Astak has the right product philosophy. User Serviceable
Sony could have said "sorry, you reader are too old, they won't have update". They happened because the 500 seamed to need some hardware update as well.

And I don't see the number of update a sign the manufacturer is good, or cares for it's customers. Ideal situation is not needing update, because the software is right the first time.
Number of update can also be a sign that the software is such a mess it needed update for the device to be usable.

New features are nice, but not the main point. Just make sure your device have the features you need when you buy it, that's all.

But it seam no manufacturer have gotten that either. Nowdays, it's rush device out, then, do bug fix and publish updates...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-10-2010 at 03:36 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Sony could have said "sorry, you reader are too old, they won't have update". They happened because the 500 seamed to need some hardware update as well.

And I don't see the number of update a sign the manufacturer is good, or cares for it's customers. Ideal situation is not needing update, because the software is right the first time.
Number of update can also be a sign that the software is such a mess it needed update for the device to be usable.

New features are nice, but not the main point. Just make sure your device have the features you need when you buy it, that's all.

But it seam no manufacturer have gotten that either. Nowdays, it's rush device out, then, do bug fix and publish updates...
I agree with you in part over an ideal situation of not needing updates, but truth be told most firmware updates do more than just fix bugs - they offer new features, or an improvement on the existing ones. If firmware updates are merely being released to fix bugs, then yes you could argue messy code, but if new features are being added to enhance the users experience or keep up to date with the developing technologies, then I say it is a good thing.

You're right, no manufacturer has got it right off the bat (except Nokia with the old 5110 GSM mobile - best mobile ever made IMHO, fault free). I still have a chuckle occasionally at Apple charging people to buy the firmware update for the iPod touch.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Give credit where credit's due - it's not Astak who do that, but Jinke, who actually make the device, and write the firmware. The same is true for all the other Jinke clones - BeBook, LBook, and all the others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
If the software is prefect that does not mean the users can not ask for added features.

Regardless of other issues, I hear that users of the DR800SG keep asking for a dictionary, and will get it soon. That tells me that they are responsive to their customers. That makes me more likely to buy an ereader from them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Just make sure your device have the features you need when you buy it, that's all.

But it seam no manufacturer have gotten that either.
Nor can they. The features that are important to me may not be to you. My EB-1150 lets me have (effectively) 2 books open at one time. GREAT for studying, maybe even required for studying. You can switch between the two books with one touch. I would happily pay for that feature in my sony.

Quote:
Nowdays, it's rush device out, then, do bug fix and publish updates...
One of my big complaints is that everyone & their third cousin makes big headlines with "Hay, we're coming out REAL SOON with the best ereader, DON'T buy anything else until you see ours! It has.... Well, we'll tell you later what it has and how much it'll cost. But it's going to be GREAT!!!! "

The best example of a reader rushed to market too soon was the nook. It is getting much better and that part tells me that they care.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-10-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
One of the Sony reps at the CES told me that they were coming out with an update, "next month" to fix a few things. That was in January. If she was being honest with me, perhaps, as usually happens in the world of software programming, they are behind schedule and we will see something soon. I do agree, however, that Sony is lax in correcting issues with software and firmware in a timely manner. I love their products but their customer support leaves much to be desired.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
If the software is prefect that does not mean the users can not ask for added features.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
True. New feature are nice. But such thing as heving an (almost) bug free firmware, or support (when your reader gets broke) is more important to me.
New features usually brings their share of new bugs.

Quote:
Regardless of other issues, I hear that users of the DR800SG keep asking for a dictionary, and will get it soon. That tells me that they are responsive to their customers. That makes me more likely to buy an ereader from them.
Ask my sister how well iRex cares about thier customers (Well, I might buy a DR800S, once they have the update for notes, if they add it someday.)

I take update gladly when they comes, but they are not a selling point. Unless it's bugfixes, but these are not optional.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
That's the key right there. If a device needs updates in order for it to be worth the cost, then you should probably not get it. You never know if those updates are really going to happen.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote