Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
bean
Enthusiast
bean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Even better screen than the Kobo Aura One?

I had a Kobo Aura One since 2016 October, now I left it on a plane but it provides an opportunity to buy something better if there's anything better. For me, in an eReader, only screen matter. The KA1 has an astonishing screen but perhaps something even better came to the market since

Looking at https://www.reddit.com/r/ereader/com...les_june_2017/ it would seem at this screen size there's still only one module.

Last edited by bean; 07-15-2017 at 06:32 AM.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
What do you mean by better and "astonishing"? Screen size, resolution, pixel density, the screen tech itself? And what is your question exactly?
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't find an eInk Reader with a better screen. That's the best there is right now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
bean
Enthusiast
bean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of lightbean is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura HD
thanks JSWolf.

And while I certainly can go technical (I have been a columnist, later editor of Hungary's largest computer monthly in what now feels like a past life so tech specs are not exactly alien to me) there's no need for that. I have been using eReaders for a long while now, the first being some chinese noname thing perhaps nine or so years ago, continuing with the nook, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, the Aura One screen made me go wow! -- that's how good it is. Technically, that's very likely because of the dpi

Last edited by bean; 07-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had a chance recently to compare the original H2O to an 800x600 Pearl eInk screen and the difference was very noticeable. The H2O is much clearer and sharper with better contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 AM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My understanding is that all e-ink screens come from one maker so visible differences are most likely due to details of the screen lighting and screen driver variations from maker to maker. All current 300 DPI screens should be similar.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My understanding is that all e-ink screens come from one maker so visible differences are most likely due to details of the screen lighting and screen driver variations from maker to maker. All current 300 DPI screens should be similar.
There are also differences in font controls between devices. The ability to add alternative fonts and control font size & weight has a noticeable effect on readability.. One of my pet peeves are publishers who persist in using embedded fonts which are almost unreadable on an eInk screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote