Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Live Preview.

Hi,

Why we need Live Preview if we can split the screen in 2 parts: Book View and Code View. All changes in Code View has to change Book View. Why we need this extra window?
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Because Book View sucks and many people choose to not use it all. They like to see the code AND the Preview at the same time. Code View/Book view limits you to one or the other.

If you don't want to use Preview, then close it. You'll not be bothered by it again until you choose to be. It's only an "extra" Window when you leave it open.

Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
Why we need Live Preview if we can split the screen in 2 parts: Book View and Code View.
You can't split the screen between Book View and Code View. As I mentioned above; it's an either/or proposition.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 09:00 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll stick my neck out and say most Sigil users don't use Book View.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll stick my neck out and say most Sigil users don't use Book View.

BR
You're not sticking it out THAT far.
(Most power users, anyway)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't consider myself a power user, but I always keep the code view prominent, with the preview window over there to monitor what I've messed up this session.

My biggest complaint about Sigil is....well....uh.....ummm... Huh! I guess I don't have any.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was years before I even knew it existed, and only then when the possibility of scrapping it was being discussed and I went looking for it. I would have missed it because of my kb-centricity - no buttons upon which to idly click. A power user, I am definitely not.

BR
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
I don't consider myself a power user, but I always keep the code view prominent, with the preview window over there to monitor what I've messed up this session.
Well there you go. We're back to just "most users" then.

The ones that cling to Book View are quite vocal about it, though. I predict we'll hear from a few before long.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Because Book View sucks and many people choose to not use it all. They like to see the code AND the Preview at the same time. Code View/Book view limits you to one or the other.

You can't split the screen between Book View and Code View. As I mentioned above; it's an either/or proposition.
I mean the purpose of Preview is the same as Book View - to show how it looks.

If Book View sucks it means it isn't coded properly.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
If Book View sucks it means it isn't coded properly.
Wow. You're just looking to make all kinds of friends around here, aren't you?

Patches for a "properly coded" Book View will be most welcome. I look forward to your contributions on that front.

Quote:
I mean the purpose of Preview is the same as Book View - to show how it looks.
Not quite. In addition to showing how it looks, Book View is also saddled with being able to make wysiwyg changes to the underlying html without destroying the user's vision of EXACTLY how the new html should look. It does this now via ESP and subtle hand signals, so a code-only solution will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow. You're just looking to make all kinds of friends around here, aren't you?
I didn't have any intentions to be rude. I apologize if somebody decided that this was my purpose.
I mean if the purpose of Code view is to show how page looks without xhtml tags and the purpose for Preview is the same why we need 2 views?
Dreamweaver has this feature when the window is split between code and "view". I know that they also have Live View which looks like Preview in Sigil but I don't really understand why we need extra window.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You keep saying "extra window" and that "Book View and Preview are the same thing." Neither, in fact, are true. Repeating them won't make them so.

1) Close the "extra window." Then it won't be "extra" any more.
2) Book View is a wysiwyg editor. Preview is not.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
2) Book View is a wysiwyg editor. Preview is not.
OK. Can I use Book View as Preview?
I mean to code program in such way that it may possible to see Code and Book View together? I appreciate your work but sometimes during the long process of coding people resist to change code or view on their code.
I see that Book View is wysiwyg editor. The next step is to allow it to be visible with Code view.
Same behavior you can find in Dreamweaver. You can have Code view, Book view or split view when you can see them both. Changes in one window reflect in another window. It's just a suggestion from the user who has no idea what is behind the curtain.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

FFS - RTFM

Quote:
Book View (or WYSIWYG mode – what you see is what you get) is one of two ways you can edit your book in Sigil.
Quote:
Code View allows you to directly edit the HTML code included in your EPUB and is the most common way to edit files for advanced users.
Quote:
Preview is a movable window that gives you a dynamically updated read-only view of what appears in Code View.
Sigil isn't a Dreamweaver replacement, in the sense that The Gimp is often said to be a replacement for Photoshop, or LO Writer a replacement for Word. It's not a replacement for anything, its a niche product.

Dreamweaver is a proprietary product that you can RENT for ~US$200.00 a year, the next year - who knows. Sigil is open source and costs exactly US$0.00 per year for ever - the developers won't even take money if its offered. If you want to make Sigil into a DW clone, you can download the source and start coding.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-22-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sigil isn't a Dreamweaver replacement
You lost my main idea. I use Dreamweaver as an example of doing same job - coding in one window and showing result in another window.

I read manual and I know how it is implemented.
If I can't suggest for new features or change existing one - it's not a problem for me.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, you're going to want to get over that "But Dreamweaver can..." habit you have. As BR said, Sigil is not; nor was ever intended to be; nor is ever going to be a Dreamweaver clone/replacement.

To answer your question: No. Book View and Code View will never be viewable simultaneously. Since they both have the ability of modifying the other's contents, having them both open at the same time would be like a snake trying to eat its own tail.

Book View is on life support. The only significant changes to it anyone can expect is it going away some day.
(though there's no official plan or timetable for such a thing happening -- before anyone unnecessarily panics)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.