Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Author says Libraries "have had their day."

Just read this article. I am dishearted that the author thinks this way. We live in an age where greed is growing. I am all for authors recieving their due. I read quite a lot. But I could never buy every book I have read, and be able to live. What do you think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...ary?CMP=twt_gu
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
From the article:

Quote:
As one of the most popular library authors – his books were borrowed more than 500,000 times during 2011/12 – Deary will have received the maximum amount possible for a writer from the Public Lending Right scheme, which gives authors 6.2p every time one of their books is borrowed, up to a cap of £6,600. "If I sold the book I'd get 30p per book. I get six grand, and I should be getting £180,000.
My rather small local library has quite a few of his children's books. Does anyone know if he receives revenue from library books loaned in the U.S.?

I've always kind of wondered how authors are reimbursed for library loans here.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
My rather small local library has quite a few of his children's books. Does anyone know if he receives revenue from library books loaned in the U.S.?

I've always kind of wondered how authors are reimbursed for library loans here.
He gets whatever royalties he'd get from the sale of each copy of the book the libraries buy, that's it as far as direct compensation.

Quote:
"If I sold the book I'd get 30p per book. I get six grand, and I should be getting £180,000."
Assuming all of those borrowers would have bought the books instead, which they wouldn't have.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-15-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Here gets whatever royalties he'd get from the sale of each copy of the book, that's it as far as direct compensation.
Good to know, thanks. I was feeling a little sorry for him...especially when I got to the part about "authors need to eat, too". Happy to hear he's at least getting something from the sales to libraries here.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Assuming all of those borrowers would have bought the books instead, which they wouldn't have.
Yep; if an author's books that I like reading disappear from the library, I'll find someone else to read.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
auntykatkat
Evangelist
auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auntykatkat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook/Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Good to know, thanks. I was feeling a little sorry for him...especially when I got to the part about "authors need to eat, too". Happy to hear he's at least getting something from the sales to libraries here.
Since I know that libraries in the US have to pay more for a copy of a book, than if I bought it in a store this is not a point I think is to worrisome. And bigger libraries buy several copies of popular books.
auntykatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
If bookstores are closing, it's not because of libraries. Libraries and bookstores have coexisted happily for ages. He thinks that compulsory education removes the need for libraries. Libraries and schools have never been an either-or proposition, but are complement each other. If taxpayers don't want to fund libraries, they can vote to shut them down. He says "I'm not attacking libraries, I'm attacking the concept behind libraries, which is no longer relevant." How can he do that without attacking libraries?

The books aren't "free", the library paid for them. The books wear out, and the library buys some more. If I have a print copy of a book, I can loan it out until it falls apart. A library can do the same. He's not likely to sway many people to his position.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
Since I know that libraries in the US have to pay more for a copy of a book, than if I bought it in a store this is not a point I think is to worrisome. And bigger libraries buy several copies of popular books.
Plus, there are thousands of public libraries here in the U.S. and if my little library has his books, then others probably do as well.

His publisher is A. C. Black. Let's hope they're giving him a decent cut (maybe it's the same as he gets for sales in the U.K.?).
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I didn't have access to a library when in a remote location for a while, so I bought books. Just what this rant advocates, buy instead of borrow, right? Not exactly, since the books I bought were cheap used books. How much do you think authors got from those sales? Zero, zilch, nada. His attack is misplaced.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I do not agree with this author.

Maybe a library is no longer really needed for novels, because they have become dirt-cheap nowadays (especially in the used book market), or some are even for free on e-readers. I never loaned "normal" books, because of this; I can easily pay for each book I want. Buying new I've often got books for under €5, and used I've paid as little as €0.10.

However, there would be NO WAY for me to have bought every reference book I've used in a library. It just can't be done. During my school / college period, I would needed to buy hundreds and hundreds of books, some to find only one or two reference in. The internet is (still) not a replacement for these books. Most people, schools and universities don't accept references to webpages (yet), as anybody can get anything onto the internet.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
"The libraries are doing nothing for the book industry. They give nothing back, whereas bookshops are selling the book, and the author and the publisher get paid, which is as it should be. What other entertainment do we expect to get for free?"

Wait a sec...... this guy writes for children??
Growing up, my parents would never of been able to afford my reading habit. Just like they couldnt afford to take us to the movies.
Lets face it only the privileged deserve to be learned.

I wonder what the author thinks about school libraries?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Whiney git, isn't he?

Quote:
"I'm not attacking libraries, I'm attacking the concept behind libraries, which is no longer relevant,"
How . . . passive/aggressive. Not the soft of example I'd want set for my kids.

The article talks about libraries closing because nobody uses them any more, then he whines that the libraries (that nobody uses any more) are driving book stores out of business.

Quote:
"Authors, booksellers and publishers need to eat."
Nobody is entitled to make a living doing something nobody is willing to pay them to do.

Maybe he should take up buggy whip making instead.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
And assuming that the borrower can afford to purchase his books instead of ... you know put food on the table or heat for the home.

What a twit...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
From what I understand of similar rants from others in the past he's forgetting one thing. The incentive to produce. How many books would he have the incentive to write if he made as much as he indicates he should be? An example is Stephen King. He used to write a good many more short stories (in collections of his works now) and now it's a long novel every other year or so. Part of that I'm sure is the need to structure the book properly to avoid glaring errors of continuity and such, but it's also (IMO) the fact that he doesn't have to produce as often to make $ since he gets the big advances. Writer's like Twain, Wells, Stoker etc. had to write to keep the bills paid and they each produced a good sized body of work as a result. I think one trap a writer can fall into is that if they make too much $ on their writing they go from "I must write" to "I may write."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
What a warped viewpoint. It's extremely rare that I'll shell out money to see a movie, it has to be something truly exceptional. Otherwise I'll just wait until it comes to cable and watch it in the comfort of my own home. But on the other hand, I freely purchase books to read and often since I then own them (yes, I'm ignoring the whole "but it's only a license" issue... a book is a book is a book).

I still also make use of my public library quite often too. Not to "cheat" the author as he feels libraries do, but simply because I can't afford to buy everything I want to read. And what do you do for out-of-print books? Hunt down a rare copy of a used hard cover? The author doesn't get a penny of that sale.

Not everyone reads a lot as well. I know people who shell out for movie tickets at least once a week but never pick up a book. Comparing his loss of book sales to that crowd wouldn't net him any book income either.

And looking back as a kid, I can't imagine growing up without my public library. I don't think I'd be such an avid reader today without them. I'd like to still know that kids can read whenever they want, whether they take a trip there or download the content. Not every family can afford to buy books, and it would be a shame for children to lose out the most without public libraries.

Let him withhold his books from libraries. There's plenty of other content to read. And plenty of other authors I will buy from.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote