Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #16
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only significant changes to it anyone can expect is it going away some day.
Yes, I understand. It will not be implemented.

Just for curiosity. This is potential workflow.

I print some text in Book View, same text appear in Code view surrounded by <p> and </p> tags.
I print something in Code view surrounded by h1 tag and after refreshing same text will appear in Book View.
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
I print some text in Book View, same text appear in Code view surrounded by <p> and </p> tags..
Why p tags? Why not div tags? They're perfectly valid -- and Joe likes divs better. Should they be classless p/div tags, or should they duplicate the previous p or div tag's class attributes (Joe likes the former; Bob the latter)? When you back up and place the cursor before "some text", is the cursor now inside the currently imaginary p or div tag, or is it before whatever tag that's going to be there? How can we alter that behavior if we want to?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #18
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Quote:
How can we alter that behavior if we want to?
Aha, I understand better why it is not implemented in "my" way.
Thanks
apoiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
I use Dreamweaver as an example of doing same job - coding in one window and showing result in another window.
But you can! I have in my main panel the codeview and in the right panel the Preview. Coding in one, result in another. I know some people have a two monitor setup and have the code in one and the preview on another monitor.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll stick my neck out and say most Sigil users don't use Book View.

BR
I think your neck is safe.
I might fudge a bit and say 'Sigil Power Users'
(I can't remember the last time I used BV. I keep the Preview pane open on a older (768x1024) portrait oriented monitor (on a USB video dongle: Windows only)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
I'll stick my neck out and say most Sigil users don't use Book View.
I use it a lot, but only in short bursts...I toggle into it to check a change, then back out again. I mostly use it on pages with SVG, since it's really hard to tell from the code exactly how it will render, but even some HTML gets a quick Book View verify.

I don't use the preview window because it takes up too much room, and without the ability to include the default/user/device stylesheet, it's not very accurate anyway. Book View suffers the same problem, but at least it doesn't take up any extra screen space.

Last edited by nabsltd; 02-23-2017 at 05:54 PM.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nabsltd - you can toggle Preview display on and off with F10. And you can detach it so that it floats, theducks puts it on another monitor.

But if you do float it, it can't be put behind the main Window or minimised, which is a pity. I quite often want to tuck the Reports windows out of the way, but that can't be done either - in Sigil, or in the calibre editor. So I suspect its a Qt restriction Ψ²

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-23-2017 at 06:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Preview shares the exact same space with the Table of Contents widget (tabbed widgets). I always have Code View open with docked widgets to the left and right. So when I switch from the Table of Contents widget to the Preview widget, I'm neither losing nor gaining any screen real-estate. My widgets would take up the same space whether Preview was visible or not.

Ereaders are small, so I preview small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.png
Views:	131
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	155261

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #24
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
My Preview shares the exact same space with the Table of Contents widget (tabbed widgets). I always have Code View open with docked widgets to the left and right. So when I switch from the Table of Contents widget to the Preview widget, I'm neither losing nor gaining any screen real-estate. My widgets would take up the same space whether Preview was visible or not.

Ereaders are small, so I preview small.

Attachment 155261
I have the same setup and motivation!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #25
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
@nabsltd - you can toggle Preview display on and off with F10. And you can detach it so that it floats, theducks puts it on another monitor.
Although I can do this, it would then either interfere with my text editor (easier and more powerful single-file search and replace than Sigil) and picture editor on that monitor, or Calibre on the other. Sigil is on the center monitor.

And, to make it big enough to show a reasonable preview of a 10" reader, it would fill 30% of the 1920x1200 screen.

But, again, since the Sigil doesn't support a user stylesheet, and I keep all my HTML and CSS portable and easily cascadeable without use of "!important", the preview isn't close enough to what it will look like on my device to be worth using. Without being able to change the margins, line and paragraph spacing, and other settings to match the defaults on the reader, the preview looks so little like the end result that it's only useful to see major screw ups, like a span close in the wrong place.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #26
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Because Book View sucks and many people choose to not use it all. They like to see the code AND the Preview at the same time. Code View/Book view limits you to one or the other.
I am one such. Preview Panel was a HUGE addition to Sigil. WYSIWYG!

But I do sometimes have occasion to switch from Code View to Book View: when I need to check a hyperlink, for example, or if I want to copy/paste from a book in progress. I haven't been able to accomplish those tasks from Preview Panel.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
... either interfere with my text editor (easier and more powerful single-file search and replace than Sigil) and picture editor on that monitor, or Calibre on the other...
That will only happen if you detach it and move the window to another monitor, if you leave it docked, as shown in DiapDealers screen shot, F10 will hide and reveal Preview in the dock.

I don't know if F10 has an equivalent clickable icon in one of the toolbars, I have Sigil configured such that there aren't any toolbars. It's the third from bottom item in View menu - AltKey, V, up arrow, up arrow, up arrow, Enter

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Although I can do this, it would then either interfere with my text editor (easier and more powerful single-file search and replace than Sigil)
Just genuinely curious as to what might qualify as a more powerful single-file search and replace than regex.

Personal preference, I get. 'Nuff said. Easier? You bet. Regex can be downright arcane for the uninitiated. But there's a reason hardcore types turn to regex for this type of thing. And that's because it's so powerful/flexible.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #29
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Just genuinely curious as to what might qualify as a more powerful single-file search and replace than regex.
Hmmm, I can think of one helpful search advantage in Notepad++, "Find in All Opened Documents":

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upl...t-in-files.png

it then pops up a list with each hit on its own line. Better than a "Count All" showing you the raw number of hits, and having to "Find Next" throughout the entire book.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #30
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Hmmm, I can think of one helpful search advantage in Notepad++, "Find in All Opened Documents":

http://cdn.ghacks.net/wp-content/upl...t-in-files.png

it then pops up a list with each hit on its own line. Better than a "Count All" showing you the raw number of hits, and having to "Find Next" throughout the entire book.
Some time ago I created a simple regex throw-away plugin for Sigil that displays Python re/regex matches as validation pane entries. (I originally wrote it, because the Python regex engine doesn't support all PCRE features.)
It also supports fuzzy matching, if you select the regex engine instead of the default re engine.
For example if you search for (?:\bthe\b){e<=1}, it'll find the, them, then, she etc.
(It'll only search the currently selected file. To search all files click the Text folder or select all files. You also can't use it to replace text.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote