Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
SCOTTMD43
SCOTTMD43 began at the beginning.

Device: LG G STYLO (BOOST MOBILE)
New Covers and Metadata Won't Transfer

I used the embed metadata tool on my pdf files and the new covers and info still aren't showing up on any of my ebook readers. The save to disk, send to device via wifi and content server options don't work either. I've been trying for nearly 5 days to get my new covers and metadata to transfer from calibre from my computer to my phone. No matter what I do whenever I when I add the pdfs to any ebook reader the new metadata and covers aren't showing up. The only way the new metadata transfers is if I convert them to epub but then the books look like trash and glitch the ebook reader apps out. Is there something else I can try?

Last edited by SCOTTMD43; 05-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.
SCOTTMD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
'Standard' PDF's have very limited metadata - Authors, Title, Keywords (Tags), Copyright owner and description.

PDF's do not have 'designated covers', so there is nothing to update. Whatever is put at the start of a PDF with a PDF editor, like those from Adobe, Tracker, Nitro etc is 'the apparent cover', but it could equally well be a page of text as it could be an image. 'Embed Metadata' won't update the 'apparent cover'.

What metadata items are you expecting to see in the PDF, and what sort of phone (I'm guessing Android) and what app are you using.

I suspect most PDF phone/tablets apps don't interrogate the PDF for embedded XML data, if your app does then look in the section labelled "http://calibre-ebook.com/xmp-namespace", otherwise look the PDF properties on your desktop in something like Adobe's Acrobat Reader or Tracker's PDF XChange.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebook, embed, metadata, pdf