Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
[...] most of the automated tools out there cause mistakes.
There's an improved title case algorithm by John Gruber, which has been ported to JavaScript and Python.
Based on my preliminary tests, the results are better than the default Python title() function, but by no means perfect.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
There isn't any other choice with those, except all caps.
Even with Proper Nouns it gets tough. You have names like Hernando de Soto (or "de la" is very common in Spanish). Or "van" + "von" + a whole host of other lowercase surnames. Or names with caps in the middle like McCormick.

Side Note: This capitalization issue also creeps up in how to alphabetize Indexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
There's an improved title case algorithm by John Gruber, which has been ported to JavaScript and Python.
Based on my preliminary tests, the results are better than the default Python title() function, but by no means perfect.
When I first got annoyed at this Title Casing problem, I actually tried to code up a little Python tool using that package. I put that project on hold though, because that package had many of the same problems mentioned above. :P

I may have to revisit it though and do more thorough testing.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-18-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
The TOC follows standard title-capitalization rules, i.e.:

Finds Print of Man's Foot on the Sand

See Fig. 1.9 in the Chicago Manual of Style.
My edition of CMS has Madison's Chronology as Fig 1.9

Rules are in 8.157 - Principles of Headline Style Capitalization, in which one finds this

Quote:
The following rules, though occasionally arbitrary, are intended primarily to facilitate the consistent styling of titles mentioned or cited in text and notes
I doubt any of Title case software routines would shift 'Four theories concerning the gospel according to Matthew', to 'Four Theories concerning the Gospel according to Matthew'. Hence my earlier 'spit and polish' comment.

My preference for 'Sentence case' is personal. Very occasionally I'm writing for news media, so I use their house rules. Most non-US news publishers do not use AP headline styles (similar to CMS), e.g. these from today's The Times of India - 'Lebanon PM confirms he will return to Beirut' and 'Buying gold online: 9 things you must not miss'

Added : YAC&P titlecase site ==>> https://headlinecapitalization.com/

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-18-2017 at 05:22 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Really? Who could not understand "Capitalise"?

This is not about grepping and regexping, it's about chapter titles in a book.
What coders call a routine isn't really relevant to book editors -- the people who invented the term.

Though the coders who created this site: https://saijogeorge.com/title-case-converter did know he difference.

Anyway, it does what it does, but don't mislabel it. It is NOT title case.
It's a good start, but I'd have to finish the job manually.

For instance, it makes:
CHAPTER XI—FINDS PRINT OF MAN’S FOOT ON THE SAND
to
Chapter Xi—Finds Print Of Man’S Foot On The Sand
Captilise sees common usage as First letter ONLY
Uppercase all letters

Besides, many programs follow the convention used in Sigil and Calibre and it would be terribly confusing to have ONE oddball
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #20
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Besides, many programs follow the convention used in Sigil and Calibre and it would be terribly confusing to have ONE oddball
Yes. We must never correct an error but must perpetuate it forever; and change our English definitions to match the implementation of some coder.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Dude, you really need to learn to let things like this go. It's a free program, it's a freely contributed plugin. That people listen and weigh your suggestions for improvements is a positive on its own. Open Source does not mean you get to have everything work the way you think it should (and be named what you think it should be named). You're running around trying to get Sigil and all Sigil plugins you run into conform to your own personal sense of book-editing feng shui and it's not going to happen. Please consider lightening up a bit.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #22
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
AlanHK said:
Quote:
Yes. We must never correct an error but must perpetuate it forever; and change our English definitions to match the implementation of some coder.
I really don't see how the above comment is warranted, concerning implementing "proper" titlecase in a plugin. As you well know, the LogicalTOCStyler plugin now implements "proper" titlecase. The apostrophe problem has also been fixed.

So why are you still complaining about this in such a catty and sarky way?

To make things clearer, I can only really describe my own driving concerns whenever I put out a plugin for Sigil. Prime above everything else is that my plugin has to be dead simple to use. If it isn't simple, I won't do it. So that's why I rejected your further requests to allow allcap acronyms and allcap roman numerals within titlecased headings in my plugin. I rejected these requests because it would have made plugin usage more difficult to understand probably resulting in reduced usage of the plugin. Another good reason, of course, would be that allowing certain allcap words within titlecased headings would not fit the true definition of either titlecase or "proper" titlecase would it? So to put a nail on it for clarity -- I rejected your requests because I had more to consider than just your needs.

Last edited by slowsmile; 11-19-2017 at 10:23 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #23
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
So why are you still complaining about this in such a catty and sarky way?
I was not referring to, and did not mention, your plugin at all.

This is a general discussion about terminology.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 AM   #24
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Dude, you really need to learn to let things like this go.
I didn't want to make a big deal about it. Much less make it personal.

You're the one who split off a minor remark and made it into this new thread inviting discussion.

I don't know why you target me alone. I think most who responded to your initial post pointed out that most implementations of "title case" were unsatisfactory.

I don't expect or demand anyone to jump to do things "my way". I just offer observations, describe problems as they come up when I am using the programs. If you don't think my remarks are worth notice, fine. Just ignore me.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Acheron7
Acheron7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
According to the Wikipedia article Letter case, title case aka capital case aka headline style means to capitalize all words except for certain subsets, while start case means that all words are capitalized regardless of function.
Acheron7 is offline   Reply With Quote