Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 03:47 AM   #1
anonyx
anonyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2
Question Random touches on screen

Hello everyone! I have been using Kobo Aura H2O v2 for about 8 months and I still consider it best purchase ever. But I have been facing a weird issue for about a week. It started after the last update (4.9.11311).

I observe random touches on the device's screen, it turns pages randomly which is quite annoying. It also happens in the settings menu. It happens infrequently (1-2 times in a minute) which makes harder to debug.

What I tried:
- Discharged & recharged it completely.
- Restarted the device.
- Cleaned the screen with a anti-static screen cleaner.
- Factory reset.

None of those resolved the issue. I hope it is just a software bug. Any idea?
anonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Are you in contact with another electrical device when it happens? As in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300199
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #3
anonyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Are you in contact with another electrical device when it happens? As in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300199
No, it happens when my Kobo is not connected to any device.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
I have the same reader, with a similar age, and I have not found this behaviour. But I have not installed the last fw yet.

As a last trial (not worse than a factory reset), you can install the previous fw and see if it is related to the last update

Just in case, do you have any screen protector that can create a electrostatic charge accumulation?

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 08-08-2018 at 06:29 AM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
anonyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
I have the same reader, with a similar age, and I have not found this behaviour. But I have not installed the last fw yet.

As a last trial (not worse than a factory reset), you can install the previous fw and see if it is related to the last update

Just in case, do you have any screen protector that can create a electrostatic charge accumulation?
Thank you, I hope you won't face this on your device.

I do not have a screen protector. I use my Kobo with the official magnetic sleep cover but the issue persists without it too.

I will try downgrading the fw soon.
Advert
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonyx View Post
Thank you, I hope you won't face this on your device.

I do not have a screen protector. I use my Kobo with the official magnetic sleep cover but the issue persists without it too.

I am very sorry about your issue. To be honest, it seems very strange to be sw related, but in case you do not discover the origin of the problem, it is better to try with previous fw.

Have you feel that you missed some screen touches before the problem occurs (kind of keyboard buffer)?. I have this problem in a tablet when it freezes from time to time. In the kobo, it is not unsual to have to press twice to have the action done. Sometimes, you obtain the action with a long delay.

As a last idea, do you have any new shoes with a very isolating sole?. I have had electrostatic discharges problems in the past due to that. It is very unlikely, but ...

If nothing works, maybe you can ask for a warranty claim.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello everyone! I have been using Kobo Aura H2O v2 for about 8 months and I still consider it best purchase ever. But I have been facing a weird issue for about a week. It started after the last update (4.9.11311).

I observe random touches on the device's screen, it turns pages randomly which is quite annoying. It also happens in the settings menu. It happens infrequently (1-2 times in a minute) which makes harder to debug.

What I tried:
- Discharged & recharged it completely.
- Restarted the device.
- Cleaned the screen with a anti-static screen cleaner.
- Factory reset.

None of those resolved the issue. I hope it is just a software bug. Any idea?
One thing you've not tried s to change page turns from a tap to a swipe. Maybe that will solve your problem. You can find the option to change from a tap to a swipe in options.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you didn't update after the factory reset you mentioned, you already tried it.

Maybe Settings -> Beta -> Sketchpad would help make those touches visible?

With telnet/ssh shell access, you can also use pickel to debug-print touch events.

Might help narrow down the issue...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #9
anonyx

Quote:
I am very sorry about your issue. To be honest, it seems very strange to be sw related, but in case you do not discover the origin of the problem, it is better to try with previous fw.

Have you feel that you missed some screen touches before the problem occurs (kind of keyboard buffer)?. I have this problem in a tablet when it freezes from time to time. In the kobo, it is not unsual to have to press twice to have the action done. Sometimes, you obtain the action with a long delay.

As a last idea, do you have any new shoes with a very isolating sole?. I have had electrostatic discharges problems in the past due to that. It is very unlikely, but ...

If nothing works, maybe you can ask for a warranty claim.
Thank you for your support! My device is quite responsive to my fingers. I recently got a new pair of shoes, maybe it causes me to hold electrostatic charge and make my Kobo go crazy when I hold it.

I am going to ask for a warranty claim if I could not fix it myself. But I am a little worried about the irreproducibleness of the issue. The technician might not even observe the problem in a quick check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing you've not tried s to change page turns from a tap to a swipe. Maybe that will solve your problem. You can find the option to change from a tap to a swipe in options.
I tried the swipe mode, it definitely reduces the random page turns; but the issue remains in the settings menu. Also, I really enjoy tapping for page turns instead of swipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If you didn't update after the factory reset you mentioned, you already tried it.

Maybe Settings -> Beta -> Sketchpad would help make those touches visible?

With telnet/ssh shell access, you can also use pickel to debug-print touch events.

Might help narrow down the issue...
I updated after the factory reset. Now I am planning not to do it. Thank you for the tip!

There is no Sketchpad in Settings -> Beta, only web browser and wide mode (unsure about its name in English). Does sketchpad require a patch or something?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
JIPG-reader
Zealot

Anonyx, you have to patch to have sketch in beta menu.

By the way, my comment about the electrostatic charge was related to the type of screen, that for the H2O ed 2 is capacitive (I think), not infrared as other kobo models.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Anonyx, you have to patch to have sketch in beta menu.

By the way, my comment about the electrostatic charge was related to the type of screen, that for the H2O ed 2 is capacitive (I think), not infrared as other kobo models.
I believe a more accurate statement is that the current Kobo models are capacitive, while most of the discontinued models are IR touch (the exceptions being the first Aura and the first H2O are capactive also.). And if the Aura 2nd Ed is considered discontinued, it is also capacitive.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I believe a more accurate statement is that the current Kobo models are capacitive, while most of the discontinued models are IR touch (the exceptions being the first Aura and the first H2O are capactive also.). And if the Aura 2nd Ed is considered discontinued, it is also capacitive.
The first H2O was IR touch.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The original H2O is IR touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The first H2O was IR touch.
Thank you for the correction.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
anonyx

I wanted to post an update about the problem. I could not resolve the issue myself although I tried everything suggested, so I asked for a warranty claim. After 2 weeks, they gave me a brand new H2O v2!

So I would recommend anyone facing this weird issue to do the same.

Note: My old H20v2 was edition 1 (as explained here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=223) and the new one is edition 2.

Tags
random touches